1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Heyward on off season workouts

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Seems a fight is brewing.

Have to say, I was surprised about injuries being down, seemed like every week someone was going down for the season, hell, on the Steelers alone it seemed that way.

Edit: Ugh, you have to click on it to get to it all.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Unfortunately this is what the NFL PA should have fought for a year ago; extended medical benefits and other incentives. The fact that the PA agreed for essentially allowing the usage of marijuana and the increase of income all but gave the Owners even more power to do.... whatever and however they please. If the players want the League the change, authorize a strike.

That said, the players of the NFL are simply far too proud to do something like that. There is no cohesion or even camaraderie among the players in comparison to the NHL, MLB and NBA. Therefore, the players are not going to get anything done unless they stand together and take major action.

History is against that but we shall see.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Not sure I even know what to say.

On one hand, I see Heywards point. The risk is really no different then it was a year ago. Cam being an asthmatic probably makes him even more cautious.

On the other hand, this is a veteran, team leader telling rookie teammates not to show up for workouts.

It's a bad look. But then again these are strange times.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    My money says that without practices and rehab this offseason Ben comes in at 3 bills.

I think Rehab saved Ben last year for getting in shape. I have not heard anything about Ben's off season workout this year with his WRs.

Funny, last year Brady was getting fined for having extra practices with his WRs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He addresses that in his thread though, telling rookies and free agents that camp is where it’s at and aren’t missing anything by skipping the off season workouts. I have to kind of defer to Heyward on that, he would know better than me even know to me, it seems like a better idea to absorb as much as they can.

6. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    MAYBE...Cam should looking into " working out a little more "...The Cleveland playoff game I distictally remember him tugging on his pants, and gasping for breathe...After the FIRST series ( this was after a bye week for him )...

And one of the main reasons the Browns ran the ball down our throats, and he played like dog ****...And the D couldn't get a stop to save their lives!

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    The union is in place for one reason and one reason only- making money. Just like the owners, they are a business that must make P&L. Cohesion? Comraderie? Please, A unions main objective is absolutely no different than the owners objectives. You think a union would negotiate something that takes money or some other bargaining chip away from them? Really? How much do you think the union pays each of the players they represent? Players realize if they strike they get nearly zero from their NFLPA and that is a poor business decision on their part. Union needs due to survive so striking is not in their best interest as well.

8. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    If he comes in tipping the scales at 300, cut his ass immediately. He’s being paid to put in a year’s worth of work not 6 months.

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Agree to disagree then.

An NFL Player's average life span is roughly 3 years. Something that seems as insignificant like Medical Benefits actually come in handy; doubly so if said players did not cut out in the league and were injured.

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not sure how I feel about all that.
    Sure seemed like every other week, we were losing players 2 injuries.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    a multi millionaire telling guys that make a small fraction of what he does not to do something that could get them up to his paygrade. sounds like he needs them to follow his lead so he can collect his money and not have to work for it. if these lower paid guys do their job and he's the one not showing up it makes him look bad. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Ya...He sounds like a great Leader!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    No wonder this dude is always out of shape come playoff time. I thought he learned his lesson after the Jags playoff game but nope. Trade this lazy bum.

14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    What the? He is supposed to be a leader! A LEADER! And they just restructured his @ss. I just can't rationalize his motivation. The young guns and rookies need ALL that they can get before camp so they are up to speed and have an understanding of what their responsibilities are. More info and reps do not cause a detriment. Injuries happen, its a fact on any given snap. Very irresponsible of Heyward.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    If Cam is at risk and worried he should get the vaccine. Overwhelming majority in the NFL demographic face no risk from Covid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If that was the case, Ben would have been cut 10+ years ago.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s voluntary workouts, not mandatory. He’s looking out for them, he’s not saying any of this for shady reasons.

18. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    I know but...He's "supposedly" a Leader...He likes to chirp alot... Wasn't he the one running his mouth about when they wanted to put something on the helmet

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    How are you a leader if you don’t voice your opinion and lead? You might not like his stance but he’s clearly trying to protect players.

I mean if I’m a rookie, I’m going but I get where Heyward is coming from.

I’m not sure what your last sentence was in reference to, don’t remember that.

20. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Heyward was basically telling players they don't need to take an unnecessary risk by going to voluntary work outs. Offering them first hand advice shouldn't be demonized by fans. Players can decide for themselves.

Understanding is a huge problem in the world in general. People would rather be overly critical and criticize than attempt to understand an individual's point of view.

• Like Like x 1
  21. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I have no problem with Hayward here. I'm sure that although these workouts are "voluntary", teams strongly imply that players should take advantage of them. He's just pointing out that they are, in fact voluntary, and that it is up to the individual whether or not they want to attend.

22. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Do you want players who do the absolute minimum, only what is required? It's voluntary to work out in the gym, study the playbook off hours, work on your conditioning, watch film, etc.

Maybe Cam should dissuade them from those activities, too, because they're not required.

Easy to see why this Steeler team has been so underachieving the last decade.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  23. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    No, I get that. Personally, if I were a rookie or even a second or third year player, I'd be there. This looks like more Heyward doing his job as a union rep than anything, although I question why'd he use a public forum like twitter to do it. That aside, I agree with the lack of locker room leadership. I just don't feel that that is necessarily the case here.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think we found Johannas boss

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  25. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    It's player's professional jobs to be "in shape" and for the season. Voluntary work outs by the team are not a mandatory part of that process. That's a clear difference.

What Cam said is that players shouldn't take unnecessary risks at this stage because we are still in the middle of a pandemic. He said players will have plenty of time to prove themselves later in the process. Why is that so hard to understand? I get it. Some people don't have a lick of common sense.

The last decade doesn't have anything to do with this pandemic right now.

The team as constructed now wasn't the same team over the last decade.