1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Heyward and Schobert comments after the game…

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Nov 15, 2021.

1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Both guys when asked about the defense and their issues with missed tackles both said that guys need to start taking practices more seriously and stop going through the motions on some days. This is very discouraging to hear if this is indeed true it’s a huge huge problem and an even bigger indictment of Tomlin and how he is getting these guys prepared to play during the week.

• Agree Agree x 10
  2. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    it's tomlin, most here get it. he sucks.

this happens (almost) every year - this is the beginning of the Tomlin end of season swoon.....maybe we get to 7 wins, but that is it.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    If anyone didn't see this problem as soon as veteran leadership like Hines, Faneca, Big Snack, Troy, Farrior started to retire/ leave, you weren't paying attention. At times the Steelers had the most talent in the NFL, but no leadership. Tomlin is and always has been a rah-rah, loved by the players guy. But as the Leveon, Ben and AB circus has shown, he is not a disciplinarian or a leader

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I agree. These reports are troubling.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    We are doomed.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    There was a point in the game where Taco looked lost before the snap.
    He was throwing his arms in the air and shaking his head, like what do I do?
    The ball would snap and he would get a late start.
    Soon after I noticed those few plays, I didn’t see him again.

injured or not familiar with the defensive calls so they took him out?

7. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We won't win another game if what is considered the strongest part of our team can't manage to tackle...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'll help the tackling use your arms and momentum as part of the process, your not just going to nail dudes to the ground with shoulder blows.

Very sadly Devin Bush tried to tackle like he was some 4th string Cornerback from Dubois Business College.

Each passing game Bush doesn't look like a player that was taken 10th overall and a pick we traded up to get.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I have stated it many times before that the problems we see on Sundays don't just show up then. They have to be evident throughout practices as well. This also goes to show what many have stated that Ol' Popcorn has the mentally that if he believes we are better than our opponent that we don't have to practice as hard or pay attention to detail. Our talent will win out is his game plan. Tough hand dealt this week with Ben going on the C-19 list so close to the game but to give up 227 yards rushing to the LIONS is not being prepared and writing off your opponent.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    My buddy noticed that instead of wrapping up and going for the tackle, the linebackers and secondary players appear to just punch for the ball.

It's possible the coaches are emphasizing turnovers in practice. Their viewpoint could be to give up the extra five yards for a chance at a fumble.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Not sure how anyone can argue that given the results over the years - they'll probably play better at LAC because they respect that opponent and so will prepare harder. Tomlin has alluded to this many times in the past, talking about how he'd rather play in the games everyone is watching than the ones no one is watching.

That attitude permeates throughout the team. Tuitt doesn't publicly tell the team to pad their stats vs. the Ravens "JV" squad last year unless he knows there will be no repercussions, and in fact, if he doesn't think it's fully endorsed by Tomlin.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    But are they surprising? I told @S.T.D last night that from what I've been able to gather the practice sessions are geared towards skill development and cleaning up techniques and errors. It seems like a core Tomlin philosophy is that if their execution is better than the opponents they should win. They also wait until Friday to get a package from Tomlin of things to watch out for during the game.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Curious where you got this information. Especially the last part. If this is true that's ridiculous. How can you put an effective game plan in on Friday?:eek:

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    TJ tries to force turnovers too, but he also makes some mighty fine tackles. It's called being a defensive football player. Not sure at what point these professionals forgot the fundamentals taught to them in pee wee, but jeez...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What if we get to 8? will you punch yourself in the face?

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He played well when he was out there though, but yeah I noticed that too.

He hasn't been with the team long, but maybe there is a reason he never panned out in Dallas? I want to give him the benefit of the doubt though.

He is a big dude. Damn.

• Like Like x 1
  17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It was a year or two ago one of the players said coach Tomlin gives them a package of things he thinks they should watch for against that weeks opponent typically on Friday or before the Saturday walk through. As far as the practice habits nobody knows for sure what they actually practice but if you listen to things like these quotes you get a framework for how they practice. I remember having discussions on the board when they were talking about changing to press man coverage vs the Patriots for an opening day game and I said that it isn't something you can flip a switch on. If they were going to do it then it should be a focus throughout camp and leading up into the game.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The quotes are troubling and the players need an attitude adjustment but a large part of the problem is the CBA has watered down practices so much. Tackling isn’t just a Steelers problem, watch any sports show recapping games and it’s in every game, literally watched Dillion of the Packers rumble down the sideline from missed tackles while typing this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    sure

if we don't , will you still be here?

• Like Like x 1
  20. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
  21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m always here. I don’t bail on anything when the going gets tough.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    So who do think they are talking about?

Who is goofing off at practice?

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I would have no idea. Hard for anyone outside the team to know for sure.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I can agree. I remember back in the nineties, when the corporation that I worked for adapted the team concept. It was designed to push the accountability down to where the rubber met the road, the person doing the job

We would get on the slackers about doing their jobs without intervention from the division level. In other works, we either handled our business or get flak from our peers. This is seemingly what Cam and Schobert are doing. That's a good move.

Guys getting paid the amounts of money these guys are, should motivate themselves but that's a personal matter.

• Like Like x 3
  25. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Well the thing about that is we can easily compare our selves to the rest of the league. If the issue was the CBA not allowing them to practice then the stats would show this. We rank among the worst in the NFL... so is the CBA only hurting us or that not the issue? I think the answer is obvious.