1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

hey guys

Discussion in 'Football Talk With Other Fans' started by TheSteelHurtin2188, May 10, 2013.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i already know young lady. let's talk, you first. LOLOL;):facepalm::no::popcorn:

:cool:

2. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Upside the head too. Haha

3. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    What do you talk about over there that you can't talk to us about?

4. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I sure in the hell do but I also talk about the moves the ravens male and other stuff

5. thundercleetz

thundercleetz Member

May 12, 2013
    Hey guys! I tried to post a new thread but shortly after saw this thread. Please feel free to delete my initial one as I'll post here. My first mistake, don't kill me!

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Andrew and I am a Ravens fan who was made aware of the site by thesteelhurtin, who posts on our message board ExtremeRavens. Not looking to spam or anything, I appreciate having the Steeler perspective on our board so I'm just looking for some good football conversation. Reading over the board it seems like you guys have a well run, intelligent forum, similar to what we have over at ExtremeRavens. I understand there will be a little good-hearted ribbing here and there, but let it be known I respect the heck out of the Steelers organization.

To stay on topic of the forum (which is Steeler talk!): From a Ravens fan perspective I think you guys had an excellent draft! Like our team, this offseason was ciritical for re-loading with younger talent. Jarvis Jones and Le'veon Bell are perfect Steelers: big, physical, and talented. Markus Weedon fits your new mold of WR like Sanders and Brown, average sized guys who are explosive with outstanding speed and run precise routes. Speaking of explosiveness, Shamarko Thomas might have been the most explosive player in the draft. If the Steelers were willing to give up a third rounder to pick this guy in the fourth, you have to believe the guy is going to be good. And the most underrated pick of the draft might have been Landry Jones. The guy is a gamer. IMO, one of the Steelers greatest weakness over the past eight years has been backup QB. Sure, with your defense you are always in games, but for the most part once Ben goes down, the team definitely loses a lot. Jones is not your typical backup QB who is just out there to manage a game, if he comes in he is coming in to go with the juggular and sling the ball. I was hoping myself that the Ravens would have drafted a strong-armed backup QB, like Tyler Bray if God forbids anything happens to Joe.

In short, I think both of our teams re-loaded with much needed young and explosive talent this offseason. IMO this will be an offseason where we will look back in three years and say the Ravens and Steelers are the way they are and the Brown are the way they are for a reason. Prime example, the Browns drafting a high risk guy like Mingo and the Steelers drafting a proven guy like Jarvis Jones. Also the Browns grossly overpaying for Paul Kruger, and the Ravens getting Elvis Dumervil for two quarters on the dollar.

I look forward to talking with you guys this season as the Ravens and Steelers are in store for some serious battles!!!!

6. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Welcome, Andrew

7. nitrous12

nitrous12 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Welcome aboard Andrew. You mention the Ravens, Steelers and Browns....wondering what your thoughts are on the Bengals to round out the division? They seem to be stocking up on some good talent. I kind of see this division being up for grabs this year with some close games amongst the Bengals, Ravens, and Steelers match ups.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The little white squigly things baby Ravens fans come from.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh hell, there goes the neighborhood, now I have to watch the mud I sling at the Ravens :lolol:

Welcome, good first post.

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I lived through the cold war, I guess I can live through this.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  12. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Welcome. Are you sure you're a Ravens fan? You have way too many nice things to say about the Steelers.

13. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Welcome aboard good to hear your thoughts over here as well.

14. thundercleetz

thundercleetz Member

May 12, 2013
    Thanks everyone for the welcoming!

I am more bearish on the Bengals. The Bengals success starts and ends with Dalton. This is really a make or break year for Dalton. Dalton is very fortunate to have AJ Green, but another so-so year and you have to wonder if he is the right guy long-term at QB. Dalton was sacked 46 times last season (third most in the league), and the Bengals do not run much to help him out. Not so sure about Giovani Bernard being the answer for the run game. Good all around back, but he isn't a workhorse between the tackles. The Bengals already pass a lot, so I am not sure if Bernard is really taking any pressure off of Dalton. If teams are able to stop the run and take Green out of the game, Dalton hasn't proved he is able to beat the defense elsewhere. His record has been bad against good teams.

On defense I think the Bengals have a solid pass rush from the front four, and have good talent at CB, but are weak up the middle. What are they doing at LB? Their best LB is Burflict, but because Maualuga's lack of versatility, they are not able to play Burflict at his best position. Overall I think the Bengals are vulnerable up the middle against the run until they get their linebacker situation sorted out. I am not a fan of their safeties either.

In short, I still think there is a good talent and depth gap between the Bengals and the Steelers and Ravens. The Ravens and Steelers have proven in the past they can overcome injuries, I do not believe the Bengals have the depth to win if a couple of key players go down. With the Steelers reloading (and if Ben can stay healthy) and the Browns getting a little better, I think there will be some falloff with the Bengals and they fail to make it to the playoffs for the third straight year.

Here is how I see it: our teams have a lot more in common than we have different. Sure we hate each other's guts, but each team has a model of consistency that runs through the entire organization. I respect how the Rooneys and Colbert run your team. I respect how you guys draft. I think Tomlin is a great coach. The Ravens have that same consistency with Bisciotti, Dick Cass, Ozzie, Eric DeCosta, and Harbaugh. Sure, I am a huge Ravens fan, but I am a big fan of football in general. I am not sure if anyone else here listens to Pat Kirwin and Tim Ryan on Movin' the Chains on Sirius XM NFL Radio, but it is a great show. Just pure analysis of football, from the field to the front office with no bias (except Tim picking the Niners for the Super Bowl haha). When it comes down scouting players, drafting the right guys to fit your system, player development, and knowing the right price to pay players, you would be hard pressed to find two organizations better than the Ravens and the Steelers. That is what I am a fan.

15. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Just out of curiosity how and why did you become a Ravens fan? The reason I ask is because I just wonder how people that had liked football before they brought it back to Baltimore I figure already had a certain "team". So are you an older guy that liked the Baltimore Colts or are you a younger guy that liked the Browns and Modell and then just migrated to Modell's team when he brought it to Baltimore or are you a younger guy that started liking the team as a kid? With our fan base we are well established and have a big history so it's obvious why we could have a devoted fan base. But with the Ravens I wonder how people become such big fans of them if they have watched football for a long time because the Ravens are relatively new.

16. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    WAIT! You think Tomlin is a "GREAT COACH"??? OK get out of here! You are obviously a moron and NOT for being a Ravens fan but just for making that statement! LOL! Just kidding but if you wanna praise Tomlin just know that not everyone around here has such nice words to say about him. The same goes for Ben but most of the haters seem to have just went away thankfully.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    everytime i look at this thread title it reminds me of the goonies movie. hey you guys.:lolol:

:cool:

18. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Welcome Andrew.
    I hate your arrogant coach but very much respect your GM. I couldn't stand watching Ray Lewis get away with abetting 2 homicides but I wish just one Steeler had his enthusiasm for the game. I also apologize on behalf of the Steelers fans that I witnessed spitting and pouring beer on one of your visiting fans to the playoff game while walking into Heinz Field. He took the abuse better than I would have.

Your assessment of the Bungles is spot on. They are loaded with talent but will only go as far as Dalton will take them. If he goes down so does their season.

19. thundercleetz

thundercleetz Member

May 12, 2013
    Haha good joke about a Browns fan migrating. I'm 24 almost 25 years-old so the last option. I was eight when the Ravens came to town in '96, right around the same time I started playing and following football. Growing up in Maryland, I guess it was just perfect timing. As for the rest of our fan base, a lot of the older Colts fans simply did not root for another team (and these 'older' fans can be really be as young as their 40s-50s). Baltimore had a successful CFL franchise and a failed expansion bid (Baltimore Bombers) around '93-95. Sure some of them maybe became Skins fans, but a lot of them did not cheer for an NFL team. If you can bear it there is an ESPN 30 on 30 about the Colts marching band that kept playing from 1983-1996.

Yes we have a decent amount of bandwagon fans. Ever wonder why Redskins fans hate Ravens fans so much? After our 2000 Super Bowl a fair amount of fair-weather Skins fans in the Maryland counties south of Baltimore that were traditionally Skins territory jumped ship (currently DC-area is about 11-15% of season ticket holders). I take bandwagon fans as a compliment. It means your team has had success, is respected, and has national appeal. Yes the Steelers have a historic devoted fan base, but that had to start somewhere. The Steelers have a very large fan base outside of Pittsburgh due to their success in the 70s. I'm sure there are a lot of Steelers fans that have never even been to Pittsburgh. Just glancing on this board I see a lot of fans who live in Bengal and Browns territory. I listen to national radio and Steeler fans call from all over the country. Not a bad thing at all. Like I said I see it as a compliment of success.

20. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I live in East TN and LOVE going to Pittsburgh but also when we play the Titans it is absolutely ridiculous to see how much we take over their field. This past year this guy leaned down and said "man you guys have great fans". A lot of people say that we "travel" well but I think really we just are all over the place and Mike Tomlin has even said as much. A lot of people around here are Skins fans because they were sorta the "close" team for a while. I used to like the Skins when I was really little because they would play them a lot on tv here and they still are one of my favorite NFC teams and the 9ers were the same because they were so good. The Steelers didn't really get a lot of tv time here until they got good in the 90s again which is when I became a fan when I was 13. I'm not surprised there would be so many Skins fans up there but I'm sure that MD is a pretty big melting pot as far as football is concerned with so many government workers living there.

21. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Where the **** am I? I think I just threw up in my mouth a litt... Oh wait... Ok I'm in the right place, carry-on..

22. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    I don't know if you have seen it or not check out the Steelers nation doc sticky at the top of the Steelers forum. It's really goes in depth on the explosion of Steelers nation

23. Cali Steel

Cali Steel

Jan 4, 2012
    He seems like a nice enough guy and has a good grip on football. From my experience growing up for 34 years 40 min from Cleveland they are the bottom of the NFL fanbase. Had one Ravens fan and one Browns fan in the bar I watched the games at here in So Cal. The Ravens fan was cool and I always was happy to see him even though i wanted his team to lose and the browns fan was always barking at everybody and being an ass and I always hoped he would choke on a chicken wing or something.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :lolol:

25. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    There's a new forum now for talking football with other fans if you so choose. This seemed like the best solution, as I know most people do not want non-Steelers fans here, but some people wish to have friendly football discussions which aren't "smack talk". Fans from other teams will be able to post in the Football Talk and Smack Talk forums, but not most others. Enjoy.