1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hernandez type H-back

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 322 Steeler Fan, Feb 6, 2012.

1. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think that this type of h-back would be more effective than a full-back for this offense and be a great addition. He is just like David Johnson, and does everything David Johnson does except he is good. He blocks better than most full-backs and can be put into motion or run a true route out of the backfield.

Heath is a classic, good tight end; could Saunders be molded into this type of role? Maybe draft? Maybe a new OC will do things like that...

2. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I just sold my restaurant in my home town of Bristol, CT (where ESPN is) and the town Hernandez is from. His mother and his two cousins would come in very often.

His family (at least from his Dad's side), are all HUGE Steelers fans. We were always hoping he would come to us, but I knew we weren't going to grab him 2 years ago. Not a need or the type of player we typically go after. I never said that out loud to them, nor they to me, but we all knew it.

Would have been great though... Knowing a current player!!! I would have been out of my mind and maybe not sold. Hahahaha....(seriously)

3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    He is nothing like David Johnson. Hernandez is a major threat to catch, rushes the ball and does so successfully, and is not expected to block much. Johnson is in there to block but sucks at it, and is completely incapable of anything else.

Aaron Hernandez is closer to Percy Harvin than David Johnson. Now, if we could swap Johnson for Hynoski, I'd be listening.

4. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    [​IMG]

5. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I wouldnt say MOST FB's...he does block better than some...but he isnt great. While he may have blocked some being a TE in college I'm sure it wasnt at this level...therefore its not really this "thing" so to speak...while he HAS improved...he will not be as good as many of the true FBs in the league.

Hey maybe if Haley does come in...maybe he might be on good terms still he Le'Ron McClain and can bring him in with him.

6. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Read the rest of the sentence.

7. jaygorius

jaygorius Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Just curious what restaurant that was?

8. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    "He is just like David Johnson, and does everything David Johnson does except he is good." I read it the first time. What are you saying the similarities are? They both line up sometimes on the LOS and sometimes in the backfield? No matter what it says on the depth chart, DJ is a fullback. That's almost all he does. Sometimes he lines up on the LOS, where he continues to block, and that's where his versitility ends. Hernandez is a WR/receiving TE, with some light RB work. When was the last time you saw AH running through the hole as the lead blocker? How often does he do that? Johnson is a FB and part time blocking TE.

My issue isn't that one is better than the other, it's that they don't try to and aren't asked to do the same things. I see no similarities in the way they play. You might as well compare Vince Wilfork and Larry Foote.

9. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Well, the reviews by the new owners shouldn't reflect on my restaurant. I need that disclaimer to be clear. They kept the same name. Cafe Buono.

10. jaygorius

jaygorius Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    I have some family in that area. That was the same location where Vita's used to be, right? Sorry I never went but it is interesting to see someone on here who (was) from the area. Actually, maybe not too surprising because there are actually lots of Steelers fans in CT from what I have seen when I've been there.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    this is an interesting topic right now with the suspension of saunders for 4 games. he most likely won't be able to practice with the team. we have a new OC and it will be a new system to learn for a young guy and for the older guys. if DJ goes we will only have heath. does TH use a FB in his offense? would we need to bring an H-back in to let him learn this new offense and get a jump on saunders or DJ's spot if he's kept? a new system and a new player could learn this offense at the same rate as the old players so the learning curve shouldn't be as difficult for him. :cool:

12. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Mac I read somewhere that Haley does NOT use a true FB in his offense but don't know for sure. If not a lot of folks here will be disappointed I'm sure.

13. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Yup. Same location...

Yeah, there is a fair amount for sure. A sports bar "sliders" in the next town over has a small but solid group of folks who get their own room for the game on sundays. I used to frequent that a bit when I needed to be with my own kind... :herewego: