1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Herbig is our new center?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, Mar 19, 2024.

1. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Well, they've show to be very stubborn at moving guys to positions they would actually be better at recently. I'm extremely concerned that the tackle they moved up to get to be the Left tackle will never actually get to be the left tackle and is still using his offseason training for right tackle!

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  3. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
  4. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Keep Jones at RT, go out and get a left handed quarterback. Problem solved, you're welcome.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    it’s not about being stubborn or stupid. Which configuration makes the team better overall is the deciding factor. Player A is better on the right than left, but player B can only play the right. Moving player B to left only makes you worse overall.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't get why this is so hard to understand.

7. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    There’s no way Herbig is going to be the starting center. They probably told him to be ready to fill in as a backup C.

I’ll be shocked if they don’t go C in round 1 .. or 2 at least.

8. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    How do we know for sure they drafted Broderick Jones to take over at LT for Dan Moore? It is assumed by most, but Jones didn’t win it in TC. Even with the trade up to get him.

9. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    {EDIT}I see we're talking about 2 different things here. No question, once you get your rosters set and go into the season, you're stuck with what you brought. The issue comes in the offseason when you don't make the moves to fix it and end up doing the same thing the next year. Or in Green's case keep putting him back out there as bad as he was.

Seriously? We watched this damn team start Green for a full season and then start the next season with him as their 1st option.

That only works in as much as you actually get better as a team overall. We've just seen guys leave and play better at their natural positions on the Oline for other teams. So much so that they've gotten second contracts with those new teams. At some point you got to put your players in their best position and actually go out and get someone better to fill that position they were stop gapping.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand. You already know you drafted this guy (moved up to get him) to be the left, but were in a situation where the guy you had at left was better out of camp, so you decide let's try the kid at right. He does half decent, way better than the guy at left could have done, but it still isn't his natural position. It's on you as the management to get someone that can play right and get this guy back to left and see what he's got. Before he get's stuck playing a non-optimal position for 3 years, because "He can, but the other guy can't".

Point is they haven't shown much with their ability to project position changes in recent years.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
  10. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    They gave him snaps and reps at LT all summer. What's crazy is that he's a better option than Moore at RT without having any snaps there at all. We may not know for sure, but you don't normally do that if you aren't expecting the player to play that position, but it is the Steelers though so...:shrug:

11. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    No we aren’t. The thread to[ic is herbig, but you gave a specific example of Broderick Jones. Now you want to pivot to green. Green beat out hasehouser the first year and was moved to guard the second year. Lost that battle to Dotson and was inactive all year. That doesn’t fit your claim of them being stubborn either.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I know that Khan was quoted recently as saying that they see Jones as the team’s LT, and need to find a way to move him there soon. Jones was known to be a bit raw as a prospect, so it’s not surprising that he wasn’t deemed ready to roll as a rookie for week #1.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I used Green because the it's about their projections on position moves. Green never "Beat Out" J.C., he was installed as the starter because that's what he was drafted to do. Ben called it out that same year. They played way better with J.C. at center when he was pulled finally. I generally pull for the younger guys to show some level of improvement through the year, but he was showing nothing. Had they drafted green to be a guard it wouldn't have been as big of an issue. Again it was projection that he would be able to make the move to center.

I gave Jones as an example because most want to see if he's developed at LT and we will see if they keep him at RT this TC. If you have a guy that you thought highly enough to move up and get to play a position and you only have him playing a different position because you don't have anyone else to play it better. It's not stubbornness at this point, but if they don't have another plan for a starting RT then I don't know what you call it. Outside of the season you have options once you get into the season...

The better example would have been playing Dotson, a natural RG at left. Then to trade him, goes to the Rams and they put him at RG now he's considered a Quality RG with them and gets resigned.

15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I suspect the Steelers are drafting a center with the 2nd round pick. Just a hunch. We will see

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    jeff hartings was an offensive tackle before he came here and became our starting center. herbig has played the position. it's not like they are teaching him to be a QB. :cool:

17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Hearings played right guard for the lions before we moved him to center. He was also a first round draft pick unlike Herbig

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Man Mac I thought you would be commenting on our practice roster players.
    Many OL,Prospects there, what do we do with them?

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yes RG you are correct. draft position doesn't mean crap. foster, fieler, beachum, big Al. only one of them was a draft pick. beachum a 7th rounder. moore was a 4th. he has started in the NFL for 3 years now. many guys were not first rounders and have done very well in the league. herbig has played a lot of football in the NFL after being an UDFA. see what he can do before we pass judgement on the guy. we are paying him 4 million a year for some reason. :cool:

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    not just practice squad guys but anderson was a draft pick. cook has been on the active roster last year and brought back this year. must be a reason. his coaches in tampa didn't like it when they got rid of him. :cool:

21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Hassenauer also got hurt during the preseason. He was active for the opener, but the injury also likely played a role in Green starting.

• Agree Agree x 1