1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Herbig is our new center?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, Mar 19, 2024.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    If you read the thread I’m 100% against a rookie being the plan

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Really, 46 snaps in how many years?

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m having a hard time believing it is

4. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Khan publicly stating we actually do have a center (wink wink) before having to draft one is causing some back n forth here?
    IMG_0172.png

Luv you guyz, you all are like that extended family that shows up to a relaxing backyard grill and then all H3ll break loose. Luv it!

5. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Let's just get guys, that start, to play their position and are great at it. Leave the Swiss army knives to the backups

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not worried about a rookie starting at center, as long as they draft one of the top 3 guys, Herbig or Anderson could be the backup?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Me neither the top two are better than what we trotted out
    the last 2 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    It is not like we have Dotson still on the roster, so you can fill the RG position if Daniels moves to Center. No reason to create another hole by moving Daniels to center.

There is a massive hole at Center, because the Steelers released Cole too early, and a huge hole at RT, because Khan has said Jones is moving to LT, and Moore has said playing RT to him is like wiping his ass with his left hand, he can't do it.

I keep saying that maybe Cole still comes back on a 1 year vet minimum deal, to bail the Steelers out. Zach Frasier is the only starting Center available in this year's draft who could be ready to play week 1. As much as everyone loves JPJ, you have to remember 2 years ago he was also playing on the Defensive Line; Started 1 game in 2022, and then it was not until 2023 that he was the starting Center.

Jackson Powers-Johnson moves back to offense amid attrition from Oregon Ducks offensive line - oregonlive.com
    The Ducks sophomore began last season with the offensive line, ended the year at defensive tackle and remained there to open spring practice. But attrition along the offensive line prompted Oregon to have Powers-Johnson move back to practicing with the offense on Thursday.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
  11. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    well klemm stunk as a coach. at least here. i'm not sure any of the top 3 or otherwise are all that great. looks like we will try to find the least suck. maybe the kid from michigan. maybe the one from penn st. there are a bunch out there and they all have warts. at least get one that can snap the ball consistently. one that is big enough to hold his ground in pass protection and can move some in run blocking. shouldn't be this hard. :cool:

13. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    The more Smoke I see the Steelers front office put up that Nate Herbig is going to be the Steelers starting Center, the more I believe that JPJ will be the pick at 20.

I still think those RTs are the better value in the draft, but the more the Steelers try to deny their interested in bringing in a starting center, the more I think I am going to have to get used to the idea of spending a 1st round pick on a center. RT in the first and Frazier/Van Pran in the second is the best value for your buck in 2024.

14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They could go with Daniels at center and Herbig at right guard, but I'm not enthusiastic about either option.

15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    This would have been a genius move 2 years ago to leave Dotson at RG and have Daniels play center.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  17. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Kahn artist

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i hope he is. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Thats likely true, but the question is will they be NFL ready to start? They may very well be, but having a guy like Morse would have been ideal. Did not work, and unless some guy gets dropped after the draft that has decent starts and can be a b/u, potential temp. starter then we have to work with what we have. Just seems odd with Andy W's passions and experience with trench building this is where we are.

20. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I am actually amazed at the lackadaisical attitude of many on this board regarding he center position considering our recent failure of an experiment with Kendrick Green.

I truly am hoping the Herbig talk is just that.

21. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    It’s truly dumbfounding. Oh we’ll just move this guy to center. If he was better at center the odds are good he would be playing at center as opposed to another position

22. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It has been dumbfounding for several years. Many posts and things over the years, and as I personally have stated choosing Muth over Creed was understandable. You could argue either was, but besides Vance Macdonald (I say that loosely), we really did not have a really decent TE since Heath. What was the head scratcher was picking a guy who only had started a handful of games in college at C, and expecting him to be a starter on day one. We then signed 2 guys to the OL who were midlevel, for 2 years the C position was getting bashed, we release him and our plan is ????? I get that they might plan on drafting one several possible in the position, and that may work, but to have this plan it would seen you also would have someone in the wings who has started (at least competently). I get that there are not many guys in FA worth a look, but this is 3 years (or more) trying to fix the line. C is perhaps diminished be some, but it is the cornerstone and anchor of that unit, for decades we have had the best (or near), hard to see this taking so long.

23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Freiermuth over Humphrey was one in a series of stupid decisions that left them without a center. Anthony McFarland over Tyler Biadasz was another. Pickett over Linderbaum was yet another, and that isn't hindsight because Pickett turned out to be a bust. I and many others here wanted them to take Linderbaum at the time.

24. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Perhaps they feel the skill set is one easy to teach? The results to date last year that doesn't seem to be the answer. I'm not seeing any other FA centers out there right now that I would be excited about getting so I guess you try for one in the draft and hope he's the guy that can come in and play. I have no clue what their plan is at this poijnt

25. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Still ticked off. one of the few teams that weren't allowed to have any fans there and they lay that type of egg!

• Like Like x 1