1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Herbig is our new center?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, Mar 19, 2024.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They shouldn't all be lumped together. There are legitimate journalists. Dulac is not one of them.

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This is how it works with some guys. They hear a rumor or an unfounded report or they come up with a theory and then they base their whole way of thinking about the situation off of that. Then, at some point it becomes reality for them.
    Best thing to do is get the facts and then form an opinion from that. Problem is the Steelers are so tight lipped with everything we don’t ever really know exactly what’s going on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This was a rough offseason for a lot of them especially Dulac. They need to stop trying to be the first to report a story and get back to real fact checking journalism. And get better sources while they are at it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I have some guys over in the NFC I can depend on.... John Kiem is a straight shooter, he is on ESPN now.
    I like Brian Mitchell also... he's a commentator now days and still barking at folks.
    JP Finlay is pretty sharp,,,, he has an awesome crew.
    Grant Paulson is good too, always liked him.
    The Washington Post crew suck. Liz Clarke might be the exception.

I don't have such a circle in Pittsburgh. But I do have a couple go-to's.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    well sort of karl. Pouncey and deCastro were through the draft. Foster, big al and Feiler were all udfa's. for awhile one of the better o-lines in the league. The draft produced dotson, green, Moore and chuks. At least until jones.

I don't think our wrs are that had as we sit. Hopefully better coaching that we brought in can get the best out of them. :cool:

6. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I don't disagree at all...
    But you always had a pretty decent stable. At least that is what I always thought... and many others outside.

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Probably

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Their numbers are dwindling and the hacks are growing exponentially

Unfortunately

More and more I miss pulling out the press or post gazette from the plastic paper box

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    or that little chit that kept throwing it in my bushes.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    So what do you base your decisions on? Since any pick can bust you have to make your best pick possible and move on. I agree any pick can bust. No one knows who will be available at that pick. I'm just having trouble understanding what your point is.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Because they're not very good at their jobs? Not trying to insult Pittsburgh, I love the place when I visit, but do you really think if you are in the top tier of sports journalism your final destination will be Pittsburgh which is relatively very small city? I grew up reading Philly sports journalists and when I first got a hold of the Pittsburgh papers I honestly snickered a bit at the coverage.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Herbig is a good name for a center

13. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    We don’t have a center and people want to gamble that our center is in the draft. As I’ve said before that’s gambling twice. Once that the draft picks actually pans out and another that they’re available to us.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Is there internal disagreement on Boyd, or is it really just that we’re not willing to pay his current asking price? I’ve read only one piece that suggested internal disagreement, but more pieces suggesting that we want to bring him in but won’t pay his asking price.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    ok got it. They should at least address this position in free agency or even a trade and not count on an unproven rookie in the draft

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    does anyone think billy price has anything left in the tank? have injuries taken too much toll on him? could be fairly cheap. former first rounder of the bungals. :cool:

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Other than the guy we cut there aren’t any centers available in FA

And exactly how do you go to another team and say hey we want to trade for your center

No at this point in time if you feel you have someone on the team who legitimately can play center you start getting them ready and you get one in the draft

Getting a good center in this years draft is not a challenge

The sky is not falling

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    AS a 4th rounder Dotson was a good pick, had a pretty decent 1st year, and the bottom just seemed to fall out for the entire line. I know guys have to do their job, but honestly Dotson had beside him Green and Moore, one year with the rams and he got paid a decent contract. Really hard to judge a guy when he is surrounded by crap, and possibly playing in a scheme that just does not fit his strengths.

19. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Those UDFA's turning out were all about Munch. Pat Meyer is no Munch. Amazing how it seems our O-Lineman play 10 times better when they go to a different team. Hell even Kendrick Green was looking like a real lineman away from the Steelers coaching staff last year.

Needless to say I am very disappointed that they brought Pat Meyer back. I would have kept Mason Cole and fired Pat Meyer.

20. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I would believe what you say is pretty much in line with what Omar was saying when he made those comments to Herbig (or about). Certainly feel they have plan A, B, and C, which of course is now dependent on the draft. There is also a period after the draft when teams evaluate rosters, contracts for players they want to extend are done, and moves are made. Not saying that is part of the 'plan', but nothing is set until camp opens, and then of course the final 53.

21. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Not saying you are wrong, but in the 70's the Burgh had really solid reporting, of course at the time the Pirates were still good, Pitt had a good team in football and BB, the three network stations all had very competent sports departments, 2 main papers, and the metro area was still top 15 in population in the country.

The 80's and 90's were still pretty good, as even the cable market that evolved had pretty good coverage and reporters. I think part of the decline is there is actually to many local individuals with social media explosion, trying to cover a market that has decreased in interest immensely, beyond the Steelers, and perhaps the previous decade the Pens, there really is not much to cover with any excitement.

22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

agreed

their jobs are so much harder than 10+ years ago.

for all the reasons stated here and more.....

23. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Daniels probably has more experience than anyone currently on the roster at center but it's been a long time since he's played the position and none of those snaps were with the Steelers.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    To bad Herbig isn’t number 53

upload_2024-3-20_22-7-17.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    I suppose as opposed to a rookie who'd have zero?