1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Herbig is our new center?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, Mar 19, 2024.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he was recruited as the 12th best center in the country when the colleges started recruiting him. i'm not saying this is an ideal situation but we generally keep at least 3 guys capable of playing center on the team. it has come down to the 3rd guy a couple of times. weidl likes big guys. maybe they go with the power game instead of the more mobile zone blocking schemes that they had used. maybe this better fits what smith wants? we don't know for sure. last year they went to a more power scheme and we started running the ball better. it doesn't mean we won't draft one but it may mean they are covering their butts if the guy they want isn't there. maybe kahn is smoke screening teams to think he's not drafting a center and rolling with herbig and then drafts one. this way he's not showing his hand. :cool:

2. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    We have two backups on the roster. They are in no way any sort of solution. If either is in the game, it's not a good situation.
    Herbig is not a Center.

Conner Williams is still sitting out there... I think he is asking a bit much, but I think with a little determination, one could hammer out a reasonable deal.
    Even if not, there are some that are still better than anything we have on the roster. You could upgrade depth even if you draft a Frazier that would probably win competition and you will still be ahead of the game in depth.

I don't advocate just signing a bunch of Free Agents just cause but the idea is to make my 53 guys better than your 53 guys.

• Like Like x 1
  3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Steelers Fans- "A rookie center won't be ready to start the season."
    Also Steelers Fans- "Let's sign Connor Williams, who won't be ready to start the season"

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

fraizer or maybe even van pran could be the goal. limmer, norzard from penn st. it doesn't mean we won't pick one. :cool:

5. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    This thing that probably bothers me most is the apparent Front Office split. They don't seem to be on the same page as evidenced in the Tyler Boyd debacle.
    Typically, the Steeler always have superior linemen across the line. That's not so much the case anymore.
    In the past, they built through the draft and have gotten off that path a little.
    You can definitely add a Free Agent Center, that is an upgrade over the two training camp fodder Centers currently on the roster and draft a Frazier.
    and they have to find an OT. That one I think they should go for via the draft.

At WR, I think they are on some sort of fishing trip ad getting blanked.
    Our Front Office doesn't seem to be able to find an agreement among themselves. I am not sure what is going on there.
    But they need a decent FA WR to give either of the two new QB's a chance.

So two things stand out.
    1. How to keep our QB's upright - OL
    2. Someone to throw to - WR

The draft can solve some of that. But they need to work FA a little.

6. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Slow down on the reports coming “from a source within the Steelers camp”.
    The Steelers don’t leak things. This is called the lying season for a reason.

7. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    The Tyler Boyd Debacle. Wow, just wow.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

what tyler boyd debacle? How do we know there is a debacle?

and regarding the OL, that is not 100% accurate. When we had Ben, early in his career, the OL was clearly a work in progress. a mish-mash that did not start to come together until DD and MP were drafted. Heck - Cowher did not even want to DRAFT BEN in 2004, he wanted a LT!

Yes - we want a stronger OL, we are getting closer. We have some draft capital - 2 3rd round picks, correct? Hopeful that Khan figures it out, finds the right guys

9. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    OK, you're not getting it. You got my attention.
    If you read some of the article, you've no doubt seen that 'supposedly' the Steelers Front Office cannot agree on Boyd.
    Not to mention this is leaking - (*note - this doesn't appear to be a 'Kroger Rumor')
    Debacle seems adequate.

It's a real simple decision tree:
    Do we need him?
    Do we want this guy?
    Is he worth the money he wants?
    Will he live up to that contract?

A no at any point should end the discussion. That I am fine with.
    Don't air it out in the media. (sure, there's going to be speculation)
    Typically, this front office is pretty tight lipped. They seem to be having issues this offseason, thought admittedly it is not reached 'terrible' by any stretch.... just annoying.

10. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    Nope, you don't get it.
    The front office can't agree on Boyd. Welcome to the world. From rumors, there's also interest in two other big time WR's, so that makes sense.
    Someone has reported it. Because we live in a Steeler bubble, checking other Steeler websites, even getting auto-updates on our phone, we assume that no other team has reports like this out there. They all do. That's why there are so many sports reporters out there. Some reports are good reporting, some reports are bad reporting, some reports are click bait, and some reports are likely leaked by the team for their own reasons.
    The fact that there are "reports" of dissent is not "airing it out in public". You don't have Tomlin saying one thing and Khan saying another. THAT is airing it out in public.
    But to label it a "debacle" is just a bit over the top. Like, an absolute ridiculous take on it at this point.

11. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

Debacle - See previous.

Yes, yes we do normally have good offensive linemen - I use superior as that includes some very elite ones like Pouncey.
    So maybe 'superior' is a little over the top, but the point is they are usually good.

A good article
    Ike Taylor Gives Insight on How Omar Khan Operates as GM (msn.com)

I am down on Omar... but, I'm starting to get a feel that maybe the noise we see/hear is not under his control.
    So maybe he changes my mind if he keeps pace and solves a couple outstanding issues.
    I don't like this 'leakage' ****. It never works to anyone's favor and always causes issues. It's one thing if some idiot name Dulac spouts off crap, but it is another if it is in fact coming from within the ranks.

12. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

yes - read the debacle, thanks for clarification

there is a lot of FLUX right now, hard to swallow it all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

so - question:

if it not under his control, WHO would have control?

Rooney?

The buck should stop with the GM, short of the owner, correct?

I just don't see Rooney as that much of a meddler. I will read the Ike article.

14. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

Thanks for making my point.
    I've worked around this game for 45 years plus.
    Most of it behind one of the best organizations which fell to one of the very worst ever. Washington.
    My opinions are just that, mine.
    What you are not getting is the big picture and hanging yourself on a word.

So let's ascend a little in altitude.
    We got a pretty good deal in QB's. Who has 2 QB's like these for what $4mil?
    Now we have to keep them standing and get them someone to throw to.
    I expect rumors to roll, that's what generates clicks. There's going to be plenty of Kroger rumors.

We have:
    Justin Jefferson is a pipe dream. Minnesota will not come off him and I get that. No harm in trying - they did inquire.
    Brandon Aiyuk is someone they've talked about, also requiring a trade. SF may come off him since he's going to get a huge payday next year and they want something and probably cannot afford to keep him.
    Terry McLaurin isn't going anywhere either. I did hear that they asked, but I am not sure how reliable that info is... John Kiem will know more later - He's a guy that always has it right.
    Tyler Boyd is a Free Agent, no strings... just a contract.

Let's take "Debacle" out of it since you are struggling with it.
    We have a real need, the front office can't agree on the details. This is better I assume.

15. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

It may be a guy like Dulac or it that other clown whose name is slipping me this second.... (I hate that)
    I am beginning to think maybe that is the source. I dunno but I despise that sort of thing.
    I have been rewarming back to Omar, but it will take some time. I hated the way things went down but I also understand that sometimes you have to go scorched earth on stuff.
    In the end, I have to admit, he did the right thing.
    I've never known Rooney to meddle? He might be guilty of not holding his people to account.

16. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

that is what I mean about Rooney, a little too hands off for my liking.

I am thinking Omar has large (very large) say of what is going on at the personnel level right now. Yes - he should and must be discussing with Tomlin and Smith, correct -on the offensive side of things

Smith needs to communicate what ingredients he needs to cook chicken parm, so to speak.

IF Boyd, getting back to that, IS the fit, then we ought to sign him. Smith has signaled that he needs a receiver that will block. I think Boyd can do that. We have cap $$. I bet we still ink him. We are THIN there at WR for sure. Smith might see more in Austin than we see too. and I know he sees more in Van Jefferson that we know or see.

Excited about a talented rookie WR but he will have limited upside Yr. with much being put in his plate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The key word is "If" But I do believe if they draft Powers-Johnson he will be a plug and play.

18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    LOL The Steelers absolutely leak things.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Then how come none of the local media had any clue the Steelers were making these moves this offseason.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers are better at controlling what leaks. They wanted to keep that all quiet, so they did. They wanted to leak things about Pickett to make themselves look better, so they did that, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

I would prefer Mr. Rooney handling things at the much higher level. (probably what you are saying - accountability)
    You're spot on re: Smith Tomlin. They MUST be on the same page with Omar.
    I also agree on Omar having a larger fingerprint.

One thing I admire, is his attention to the analytics. We were way behind on this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    When watching this unfold, one can only speculate, because the moves this year in particular are not the way the team has traditionally moved. Dulak was on Dan Patrick the other day talking about the Fields trade and alluded to something bigger (WR was hinted at), while this means nothing official as many reporters hints bring no results, the rampant speculation on different players the last several days does of course increase interest. He (Dulac) did mention that he felt the moves were heightened by Rooney's words implying that his patience was getting short and the results have been not satisfying. Again this is all speculation, but in his second year Omar is doing things that are not traditional.

Bottom line, as the GM it has to be his call, internal arguments are bound to happen in a room filled with different ideas and egos, just as he has actively moved thw 'whiners' from the team, those within the upper level may find themselves seeking new employment as well. JMHO

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I couldn’t care less what you believe. The simple fact is draft picks bust all the freaking time. There’s also no guarantee any player they covet will be available to them.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I heard Dulac say that, too, but I have no idea why we should trust anything he says. He is guessing. Then, if nothing big happens, he can just say the Steelers tried but it didn't work out.

25. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I honestly do not trust anything from any of these guys anymore, even the insiders with multiple phones that supposedly go off 24/7, the credibility is lost, but no one cares anymore...get the clicks and get the paycheck.