1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Training Camp

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Valerie, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Valerie

Valerie New Member

Jun 7, 2017
    My husband surprised me last night with a trip to Pittsburgh so I could go to a few training camp days. I am a life long Steelers fan but live on the west coast so this will be my first time. We will be there Thursday through Saturday, August 3-5. I could really use some great advise like what time should we arrive, what's the best way to meet players and any advise about Friday Night Lights would be great. Thanks!

2. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I just want to be clear that you know that training camp is in Latrobe, PA at St. Vincent College before I give any advice.

3. Valerie

Valerie New Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Yes I do know that. I have done a lot of research, just not finding a lot of personal experiences.

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Email Alex Kazora of steelersdepot. He's gone to training camp for the last few years and could probably share a wealth of information

5. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok. Just checking - when you said you were going to Pittsburgh, I got worried.

Just from personal experience, we normally arrive a couple of hours before the team takes the field so that we can go into the store and shop around and then look at all of the other things they have set up there. We try to get a seat as soon as they open the gates because it fills up fast.

I would say the best way to meet players is after practice is over. They will come over and sign autographs. Head down to the very front as soon as you see other people doing it so you can get a good spot for an autograph. Ben is very good about signing autographs. AB is hit or miss.

I have never been to the one under the lights so I don't have any info on that one.

6. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Welcome to the board nice avatar!!! Avatars are kinda individually unique.:towel:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Welcome aboard Valerie, I have been to many Steeler training camps. I live locally.
    The Friday night practice is actually held at Latrobe HS Stadium. This is a nice facility, and the Steelers
    get large crowds there. Get there early, tough parking. Players will sign along the fences between the field
    and the bleachers. If you want an autograph get to the fence early. At St Vincent players will sometime sign autographs
    before practice when they are coming down the hill, or after practice going back up the hill.St Vincent has bleachers or
    you can sit on or the hillside grassy area. Depending on where you are staying, RT 30 can get very congested for Steeler
    practices, if you are staying in PGH, you may want to leave a little earlier. If you can, bring binoculars so you may see players/others up close.
    The Friday night practice is well attended by Steeler brass and some retired players as well. There are lot's of eating establishments
    in the Latrobe area. Some favorites Sharkey's on RT 30 or DeNunzio's in Jeanette. Hope you have a good time, might see
    you at Latrobe HS. Good experience that all fans should be able to enjoy.