1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP MUNCHAK... Why is BJ Finney out of the starting lineup?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brice, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Finney has always been there when needed at guard or center, so why the bums rush out of the starting lineup? We are blessed to have a backup like Finney when we need him.

I thought he showed up and had a good game against the colts.

They really think Okorafor at tackle will be an improvement? And when is the last time Feiler played guard?

Where is Munchak when you need him.

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As Mike Tomlin indicated this week,
    Steelers are losing the LOS battles on
    both sides of the ball. Hence 27th in the league
    in rushing.

3. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I think they're moving him out because of the move at LT and he's the only guy they have that's ready to back-up Pouncey (who played hurt last week).

They shuffled the lines and are going to go with Feiler in Foster's place at LG and Chuks at RT so they can have Finney who can play either position in case Pouncey ends up aggravating what he was dealing with last week, without having to shuffle guys in-game against Donald and company. Also, doing it this early lets them get practice in at those positions.

When you look at it that way it makes perfect sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Puts our strongest lineman inside to help with Donald and keep him out of masons face. Banner can help chuks. :cool:

5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Finney and Feiler are both free agents in 2020 as it happens, and Fosters contract makes him a prime cut candidate given he has been really struggling. They need to start rebuilding that line ASAP. It would be a huge boost if Chuks turns out to be starter quality at tackle.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Loosing Munch has hurt big time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Injuries hurt more. Munch hasn't been able to turn Denvers oline into any special up to this point.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Indeed, Denver’s protection is among the worst in the league, Flacco was being beaten up bad until he went on IR.

Have they missed Munchak in the running game though? Supposedly he was very involved in the run scheme. Steelers are snakebit with injuries in this group too so I guess it is hard to say.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Remember our line before Munch?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    We weren't a good run blocking team when Munchak was here. LB covered up a lot of run blocking warts.

11. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Conner was putting up good numbers throughout 2018 until he got hurt so I don’t know if I fully buy that. I think a lot of the issue is teams putting eight in the box and the OLine just regressing in general.

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    It is just a hunch but to piggy back off of what Mac Daddyo stated, Matt Feiler is best suited for that Guard role. The more interesting aspect is that Chuks will finally see some action at the Right Tackle spot should that be the case. I would imagine they continue to use Banner as the "Tackle Eligible" player to assist Chuks in the game in the run.

Now, what does this all mean assuming this is the plan Sunday?! I believe we are going to see a "Dress Rehearsal" of sorts for the 2020 Steelers Offensive Line as Ramon and Finney are likely out of here. In addition, given the fact that they did spend a Third Round Pick of Chuks; some analysts stating that he would have been a First Round Pick had he gone to a college like Alabama or LSU, I assume the time is now to see what Chuks can do now.

13. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I don't know if its the loss of Munchak or a different scheme in the running game. Our Oline has never been the road grader types that blow people off the ball, they have had more success when they are pulling DD or Pouncy. They seem better suited to blocking in space.

It doesn't help when they load the left side with Banner and then hand off going left, " They will never guess we are going to the left."

On defense coverage helps pressure and pressure helps coverage.
    On offense a running game helps the passing game and a passing game helps the run game.
    We do not have a passing game that scares anybody so they load the box to stuff the run.
    When we do pass there are so many dump offs and short passes again they load the box.
    The passing game is drawing the defense in close and ruining the running game, way to go Fitch nice plan.

14. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    LB averaged 4 ypc

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He will, he didn't turn ours around immediately either.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I just don't think the loss of Munch is as earth shattering as some seem to believe. The Oline is still doing a pretty good job pass blocking. They were never a good unit consistently blowing people off the ball in the run game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    You are correct but they went from subpar run blocking to abysmal

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I heard on SNR they might be doing this because they don't want their backup center to start.

19. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I heard on TSF.com that Fitchner & Tomlin & Ben & the O'Line are out to get Mason.

20. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Well if it's true Pouncy is playing injured I think you have to go with keeping your backup center off the field

21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Finney has always been rock solid in his start at center and guard; Okorafor has lost his job again and again. Okorafor is playing out his rookie contract and then he is gone.

If Pouncey is injured then this would all make since as you would need Finney at center.