1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Help me understand the "HOLD OUT"

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Dustin, Aug 8, 2017.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Roughly $735,000

Although, that is before taxes.

2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Man. I wish I was "underpaid". Lol!

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This. Not worried about Bell at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I honestly don't think Bell or any other other pro athlete really give too much of a crap what the fans think about them anyway. They might "say" they do but ultimately they are all just mercenaries that are willing to go to the highest bidder. If Bell does decided to truly hold out, which I don't think he will, he's honestly not gonna give a crap what we all think about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    he probably wants to make it to the regular season with a good leg...

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    trouble is it hurts everybody else when we have to spend time to get him up to speed on the new things the offense has put in. that hurts timing and could be used to expand the offense even more for the next opponent. i could care less about if it hurts him. thats a me guy. it hurts the team. :cool:

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No it doesn't. Focus on your own assignments, don't worry about Bells. If Bell screws up, then he's hurting the team.

After reflecting on it, Id prefer he'd be there but Im not all that concerned about it hurting him or the team.

10. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Okay, hear me out on this one.
    I know it's far fetched, but what about this "what if" scenario.
    What if there was some agreement for Bell to hold out until week 9 (bye week)? The team would get a fresh Bell back for a push towards the playoffs, and wouldn't really have to worry about his carries. They'd have a pretty fresh player when everyone else has been beaten down by the season.
    I'm sure this isn't the case (and if it was the NFL would probably frown heavily upon it), but certainly interesting to ponder.

11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As a RB he doesn't really need the knowledge or the reps ..His style of running there really is no hole to hit so it's not like timing is an issue ...As Mac stated his hold out does cause a problem though..Not really for him ,but for some of his Mates ...

I am sure some are jealous , I am sure some doubt his commitment,I am sure it hurts the Team building message that Coach T is trying to send to some degree ...

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yes it does when he's one of the main cogs in the wheel and not just a runner. as i said if we want to put new things into the offense we can't work on those because we are trying to get him in sync with what has already been put in. as colbert states new things have been added. there is noway it doesn't hurt the team. :cool:

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No it doesn't :beee:

14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It does hurt , but not in that way, in the way I mentioned above ..Bell can do and learn his part , but how does his mates feel while they are sweating and he is laying on the Beach ??To me that is the real damage that can be created ..

Coach screams Team work...Julius says what Team ? I going to get mine..Burt say that's the worse attitude I ever heard ...Julius say Attitude reflects Leadership Captain..I left out a line or 2 about blocking for Rev , but you get the point...

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I doubt it bothers the players. They know its a business and that they may find themselves in the same position one day.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

well, well, well your a poopy head. :tongue::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  17. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    They aren't going to pay him all that money to play 7 games. Not to mention who knows if he will be in game shape, know the offense, etc. Pretty sure he can't be with the team until he signs so they aren't going to sign him and throw him right in. Probably more likely to get injured if you don't take a hit for 8 months then get thrown in.

We had the best way to keep him healthy. The perfect 1-2 punch of DWill/Bell but sadly our coach wants to run him into the ground every year and get him injured.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  19. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Wouldn't surprise me, been saying Bell put that in his song for a reason.

Bells camp denies it though.

21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Blast did you read the article? What's your take on it? To me it seems like the James Harrison article from years ago version 2. Bouchette has one piece of new information that can't be authenticated and rehashes info we already know in order to support his story.

22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Maybe the Rooney's should call in to a local radio station and dedicate this song to Le'Veon???

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I haven't yet but its a good rule of thumb to take what Bouchette says with a grain of salt.

24. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Interesting thought. But what if during that time Conner tears it up, and after the season, we do a sign and trade for Mr. Suspended/ Injured for some high draft picks? He only played in about 73% of games, and even worse for playoff appearances.

25. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

I remember a very famous Steeler that held out training camp in 96 and did not have a great year. It LB wants to show he is a team player and would like to continue his career as a Steeler or any other organization it would bode well for him to show he can demonstrate what it means to be committed to his craft