1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Help me understand the "HOLD OUT"

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Dustin, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I could completely understand this Bell "hold out" if there was a chance of getting a long term deal done, if there was a chance at making more than the 21.1 mill this year. There isn't. Show up with the team. It is not like they are going to work you too hard, or you are going to play a preseason snap, but just be there with the guys. In my opinion this hurts his chances of signing a long term deal for more money next season. I just don't understand what he is trying to accomplish. Maybe he should hold out all the way to week three. I think he is great, but am not very impressed with him now. He must not understand the Steeler fan base. We all have a team-first mind set. So I don't think his stock is going up with the fans either. He maybe smoked too much in his younger days. Don't get it!!!!!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    My guess is he is just trying not to get hurt when it doesn't count. He doesn't need the practice reps.

I anticipate him ready to go when the season starts. There truely would be nothing to gain after that,

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    His "people" tell him that a hold out is his only leverage. I don't agree with holding out, but he's missed time before at the start of the season, so I feel confident he knows his role in the offense well enough to step in week 1. Now if he gets all crazy and sh!t and holds out into the season..... I would think it would drop his potential payout in the end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    My son wants a Bell jersey in the worst way but I told him to "HOLD OUT" for now.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  5. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08/colbert-bell-saga-no-need-wasting-time-something-cant-control/
    Link on his little bit of leverage.

Basically says he can try to get them to add a prohibition clause so that the Steelers couldn't franchise him again next year.
    Other than that there isn't much he can do by holding out.
    Article also says that the only person to ever get that clause was Albert Haynesworth, but the Titans made sure there were incentives to activate that clause by the end of the year.

6. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Bell is a hard worker, in better shape than anyone on the team. I am not worried about him getting in shape too late. He will be ready. I figure it gives him time off from unneeded reps. Camp sucks to most players. Getting out of some of it is attractive to most. Didn't they __JUST__ get AC in the dorm rooms? I would want to get out of having to do much camp if I could.

7. Harryo the K

Harryo the K Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
  8. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Saw on the Bouchette chat earlier, one big risk on LB's part..... is if he gets injured while working out on his own..... he stands to lose that guaranteed franchise pay..... it'd be wise to sign ASAP.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    me,me me. look at me.:cray::cool:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Theres no point in him being there. Look at all the injuries already.

I suspect he'll show up for the 3rd preseason game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. funkysteelersfan

funkysteelersfan Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    I'm guessing about three or four days before the last preseason game.

12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I never really cared for that type of thinking. I mean yes a player could get injured but those reps in practice and in preseason help you get football ready. Look at what the Vikings did every year with AP, they protected him through camp and he never played preseason and even in his prime years when he was in beast mode and tearing it up, he started the first few games sluggish. Not saying that Bell won't be in peak physical shape but just there are aches and pains that the body adjusts to through the course of the season and looking at the early slate of games I don't think they can afford to have Bell being flat and working himself into football shape. Although what do i know I still think he is going to get jealous of Conner and all his press and show up in the next few days lol.

13. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Maybe its cutting into his studio time

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    After 150+ all purpose yards in the first game, this post will be buried in never never land.

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As most have said he knows he is not getting the money as he can't now....He also knows he is creating a bit of friction with the fans ...He also is a self promoter, so any publicity is good publicity and the icing on the cake is he doesn't have to put in any work to get paid....

Ask yourself would you rather party or go to work ? Most would say party ...Now add in and get paid the same to party...Now all would say Party...Even if that Party was just sleeping til noon...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It's not a hold out. Right now he is an unsigned free agent with a contract offer.

17. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Basically, it's just an excuse to skip camp. It's not like he's the first one to do it. Sucks for the fans but he's not exactly a trailblazer in this regard. Heck even the great Mike Wallace done it and we see how that worked out. For AB. LOL!

18. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Let's face it...these contract situations just plain suck. I am fully aware there is always two sides to each argument. BUT Juice needs to nut up and get his ass to camp. He's already shown his immaturity - no need to rehash his past stupidity. But he needs to get beyond that and become a grown man. He's been out of college for years now. Being in camp is good for overall team camaraderie. Being in camp helps with the playbook. Being in camp helps build repoire with the rooks and fellow running backs. Being in camp helps polish your route running. Being in camp gives you better cred with the fans.

I freakin' love Juice. And I will be absolutely crushed if he doesn't ultimately sign a long-term deal. But I can't stand that he is not in camp. Think about all those holdouts. Many do start slow. And those that hold out into the season very commonly get injured, and then it's just a totally wasted year. CJ2K held out in 2011 and he fell victim to the holdout curse and his stats/performance declined. There is something known as the holdout curse. May have happened to Reavis as well.

In this scenario: Juice loses. The team loses. His teammates lose. And we fans lose.

Hells Bells Juice. Get to camp and I'll buy your ticket to Latrobe.

19. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Just because I agree with your post, doesn`t mean I agree with him taking this path...

I didn`t like it when Hines held out, either.. and I absolutely LOVE what Hines Ward did for our team..

I hate the fact that this game has become a "business", and players gotta do what they gotta do...

But I also don`t blame him for wanting to maximize his earnings..

He IS very valuable to our team.. And his personal opinion of wanting to be paid like a combination of #1 RB, and #2 reciever, has some validity...

The stats back that up, but, personnell executives in the NFL will tell you, "We don`t pay based on past performance, we pay based
    on what we expect you to do, and what we are risking, based on your injury history, etc..."

I have a hard time feeling sorry for multi millionaires that get paid to play a game, that they say they love to play...

Then, pout, when they feel they aren`t getting "compensated fairly"..."I don`t want to be the reason the running back market is undervalued"...

It is very hard to quantify what "market value" is, based on the ultimate team sport..

Yes, I agree Leveon is a one of a kind talent, that would thrive on MOST teams, and could actually help some mediocre teams...

But how much would he have helped the Clowns last year, or a team without a very good O-line, Ben, Brown, etc..

I prefer a player, who commits to his team, and wants to help them win a championship, before accomplishing personal goals, or padding their bank account.

I don`t begrudge him the chance to do that, but it makes me think much less of him, as a "team player"...

In Pittsburgh, we have a tradition of players who will sacrifice a bit, for the good of the team.

If dollars are all that matter to him, more power to him, and I`m sure he can get them.

But, this year, I don`t understand why he just does`nt sign the 12 million dollar offer, and work with the players that are there, for a common goal, especially, if it is possibly Ben`s last year, or close to it...

Yeah, it won`t matter, if he goes out, and tears the field up, to the fans, but, I do think there is something to be said for "chemistry", and working together with his teammates, to accomplish that goal...

What do I know, I`m just a fan...

20. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm not saying he's not in good shape but I'd say James Harrison is in the "best" shape on the team. He's a freak of nature.

• Like Like x 1
  21. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    My rule with jerseys is I will pretty much only buy a truly franchise player's jersey. I can't stand to drop a ton on a jersey and then watch a dude leave a few months later or something. I love Le'Veon but I wouldn't buy his jersey yet.

22. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    He's just biding his sweet little time. Unfortunately for the fans and team these kids are allowed to do so if not outright encouraged to do so within the given parameters. I don't take it personal, he ain't my teammate. I'm just a lifelong fan of the team and they haven't written me for my opinion. I'm sure there are a few of these players that might give a rip about the feelings of fans per se but it's a very few at best. Once you realize that, its a lot easier to not get hurt feelings over any of it. Still pisses ya off though at times.

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Memo to the fans Bell doesn't care what you think, he's not going to show up to camp just to make the fans happy. He's not holding out, his salary is set for 2017. Most likely he will show up a week or two before the preseason is over.

24. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    He's holding out for guaranteed money. This is the only leverage he has. He's probably just listening to his agent....

He knows just as much as anybody that football isn't forever. His career could be over in an instant and he needs to make as much money as he can now, because it's likely going to be 99% of the money he makes in his whole life. You can say what's a mil or two when you're already making 12, but over a 5 year contract that's 5-10 million bucks. He won't make anything close to that after football. That money is a big deal.

25. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think this whole thing is blown out of proportion. Would I love to have Bell signed long term? Sure. But so many people are trashing him and wanting him to just walk because he doesn't take what WE think he's worth. He's allowed to try to get the best deal for him, even if we don't like it.

I know it's tough because we are STEELERS fans... we care more about the logo and the organization than any one player. LeVeon basically runs his own company "Juice, LLC" and he's gotta do what's best for him. I'm not gonna hold it against him.