1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Help me understand a little bit of the madness

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel1031, Apr 29, 2017.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Colbert should've figured out how to come away from this draft with a stud safety, that's my biggest complaint.

2. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

I dunno. Stud safeties don't usually last long in the draft and we always pick late. We almost have to tank to get a player like Ben or Troy.

I wonder how much input Art II has in the process.

3. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He needed to trade up in the 2nd or 3rd for guys like Obi or Josh Jones, I would sacrifice getting JuJu, Conner, and Dobbs for a playmaker in the secondary.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep we needed at least 3 upgrades at DB and we didn't really address it in FA or the draft .Sutton might be ok , but we didnt do enough.

5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think they need 3 upgrades, they have Burns and Davis. I wanted a safety that would be Mitchell's replacement and a good CB.

6. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Will Josh Jones be a stud? nfl.com had Mike Mitchell as his comparison on his draft bio.

7. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I realize we needed another RB and WR, I just don't think we needed to draft them. RB's are a dime a dozen these days. We could have signed a free agent to back up Bell. We had more pressing issues and if there was no one there for our pick Colbert should have traded back. We're too set in our ways sometimes.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    a lot depends on brian allen. he's got the size to play safety. mitchell for now but i'd hope we teach him the safety spot. with sutton, golson, sensabaugh, burns and cockrell we have upgraded. heck year two for burns should be an upgrade and so should davis. there are also a couple of futures pickups that may just get a shot at safety. a couple of these guys have speed. brandon dixon is a 4.40 player right around 6-0 203. terrish webb is a FS from pitt we grabbed as an UDFA. hopefully one of these guys stand out and hang around. we have quite a few db's going to be in camp so we will have to see who wants it. i think we had our sights set on one of these safeties but they went fast. even nicholson went early. i thought for sure he would have been around for us later. :cool:

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Conner may be more than just a back up for Bell, he could be insurance if Bell leaves. He can actually catch the ball out of the back filed quite well, Ben and he were already working on it together.

WR was very needed and they grabbed a good one at the end of Rd 2, great value there.

10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm not diminishing the Connor pick, but I can't help but wonder if there was some Dan Rooney influence there keeping a local feel good story and hero to many right at home. Not that an NFL team is trying to win over any friends in the draft but they certainly got an abundance of good press, even out side of the normal sports world. Keeping him at home was a big part of the story. Hoping the magic story materializes even better than imagined.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think its just a bonus. I think they had him with the best grade. And before anybody doubts that, how many thought Artie Burns had the best grade?

12. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Blasphemy! We can't lose Bell!! Lol

13. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Looking back to his season before the cancer, had Conner come out that year I doubt he would've made it to the 3rd round. I hope he gets all the way back to his ACC player of the year form.