1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hebron Fangupo NT?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Da Stellars, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    What does everyone think about this guy?

Not much tape on him, but has the perfect size/weight, and is a character guy. He is a USC transfer playing at BYU.

Do you think the Steelers would consider him and what round do you think he would go in?

Dontari Poe seems like a decent player, but he is 6' 5", which bothers me. He might not be able to get that leverage needed as a NT.

2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I think Poe is the next great young NT. His belnd of size and athleticism will indeed make him a 1st round pick, as long as his workouts are clean. I don't have much issue with his height because with his overall size he should be able to manhandle most blockers.

As for Fangupu, he does have a good height/weight for a NT, but there just is no production to speak of. It would be a flyer as a late round pick. I know NTs aren't known f or production, but I would like to see some coming out of college for someone hopeful to play in the NFL.

3. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I'd preferr us not drafting a NT. That would be just TOO much youth on the Line. Now if we could cut Hampton and sign Paul Soliai ( FA Miami ) and use our 1st RD pick on BPA -- OT or OG --- and our 2nd rd pick on an ILB. Now if Poe fell to the 2nd rd we should take him but don't look for that to happen.

Cajun-

4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Fangupu could be a later round diamond-in-the-rough guy ;)

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'd still like to see ziggy move inside to that spot. we have mclendon, corbin bryant and al woods they may all be considered at DE and could jump inside. :cool:

6. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i think this is the plan for ziggy

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i do to freak, he was doing an aweful lot of it toward the end of the season. we also have to make room for cam in year two. keisel makes that a pretty good trio. we missed da beard in denver. that hurt us. i also think they like corbin bryant as a backup for next year. :cool:

8. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    They move Ziggy to nose tackle and McLendon to DE? Isn't that a wash? McLendon is already doing well at NT. He's at least good enough to be a backup, and could possibly be a starter. If you move Ziggy to NT to get Heyward and Keisel on the field, wouldn't you be wise to keep the other NT you have in McLendon at NT?

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    sorry, i guess it came out wrong. i meant mclendon and ziggy as the nt"s. corbin bryant and al woods at the bu's for the DE spots. but either woods or bryant could play inside if needed. that's my whole jist of it. not to mention any of the 4 could play DE too. :cool:

10. funkysteelersfan

funkysteelersfan Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    One thing to remember about Fangupo is that he is 26 years old and most guys in DL'S system don't see the field a whole lot their first couple of years.

11. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Anyone know anything about the Jean-Baptiste guy at Baylor? Seems like he is about a 4th round projection so was wondering if anyone had any info on him if we do wait until later to address NT

12. steelfan

steelfan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    No way the Steelers sign Soliai, he wants far too much money and we are way too far over the cap. They will definitely use a premium pick on a NT. I also don't think they will move Ziggy inside to NT, or at least I believe that would be unwise. Maybe they'll target the NT from UW.

13. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  14. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I love Fangupu ....high motor kid...loved him at USC and he didn't do anything there

HACK

15. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I don't see us going NT early like a lot are expecting. I've heard the Steelers like McClendon to start next season if Hampton won't restructure.

I've also heard Ziggy is possibly the strongest guy on the team, and could handle the nose for a year the way Kimo did the year before Big Snack was drafted.

16. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Where'd you hear that? He certainly doesn't play like it. He looks tentative a lot of the time. Although he did have great measurables coming out of college. They say he's a very hard worker, so he should be strong.

I wouldn't call what Kimo did "handling" the nose. The year between Joel Steed and Casey Hampton was like a vacation from run defense. I was young, but I remember it as a nightmare. I was tickled pink when we drafted a real nose, because Kimo was not built for that. I'm not sure Ziggy is either, but I'd be willing to see him give it a shot.

17. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree with this. Don't draft Poe and pick up Fangupo later.