1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Heath Miller

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Apr 25, 2012.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think he was underutilized in Bruce Arians offense it was frustrating to watch in the first half of games he would have 4 or 5 catches and be wide open. Then in the second half he would disappear maybe it was due to bad o-line play and he had to stay in to block. With more opportunities he could be a pro bowl player.

2. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Haley is coming from a team that liked to use their tightends, so, I have hopes for how they utilize Miller.

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This was certainly part of it. Also, if he didn't have to block and could make a delayed release, Ben didn't look for him.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He's a great weapon if used properly, he was destroying NE in the first half. They can get that from him every week.

5. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011

I agree with this 100%. If he is used the way his talents allow I don't know many teams that would have an answer for him and if they do they would have to sacrifice coverage somewhere else. Again, I have hopes for how he is used in this next chapter of our team.

6. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Haley said Miller is his favorite player,,expect a big year for Miller

7. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    A perfect redzone target that wasn't properly utilized. :facepalm:

BA reduced him from a top 3 TE to an ordinary average guy (and not the joe walsh kind).

8. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

:clapping:

9. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I have been ranting about this situation for years now like many othet fans and it might be what started my dislike for BA. I actually remember in Ben's 2nd year (nearly 100% positive) that believe it otr not I was complaining that they were using him TOO MUCH in the red zone. I was worried that he was becoming too much of a scoring focus and other teams would become aware and key on him and take him away since he was such a sure bet. I wanted more of a mix.

Watch out what you wish for I guess. The gods will screw up the wish...

10. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I don't won't to sound like a Miller hater/Arians fan but I see things differently. Arians loved TEs to a fault, way too many 3 TE sets, putting TEs in the backfield and it hurt this team. Add to that Ben called over half the plays and with his big play no check down ball holding self Miller was way too often overlooked.

About Miller, He has some of the best hands in the league but honestly I feel he's a bit slow after the catch and doesn't break many tackles. You give him the ball and playmakers like Brown,Wallace,Sanders are without it. I personally don't want Miller catching the ball 5-7 times a game with the weapons we have. I think quality should improve and not quanity, give him better plays, not more.

Cajun-

11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    A big part of it was due to BA, but Ben also constantly ignored him when he was wide open. I can't even begin to count how many times I've seen Ben look at a wide open TE or RB 5 yards down field and completely ignore them, only to throw 20+ yards down field to a WR that is covered. It's so frustrating and is what sets elite QB's apart from great QB's. Ben isn't elite and that is why. The talent is there, the decision making is not where it needs to be for a mature, talented QB.

That also goes back to BA though. It was BA's job to fix these things and instead he let Ben do whatever he wanted. Here's hoping Haley gets through to Ben and we start using our TE's and RB's much more in the passing game. Mendy is a great receiving back, so lets use him like one.

12. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't completely disagree, but if Wallace, Brown and Sanders are covered 5-7 times per game, there's no reason Miller shouldn't get catches in those situations. Not to mention that throwing to Miller underneath will open things up for our playmakers. Miller is slow and not overly athletic once he gets the ball, but there's no reason not to take advantage of his great hands. Miller should get 5-7 catches in a game if the defence is giving it to us. Hell, if the defence will give it to us, Miller should get 25 catches a game. Ben needs to take what the defence gives us, not throw to Wallace or Brown simply because they are faster than Miller.

13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I actually agree with both of you. (Is that allowed?)

Cajun's point is one that can be overlooked. I remember several times where Heath has been given the ball on a dump off on 3rd down, needed to get 7-8 yards and not been able to accelerate or slip a tackle. But like Shaner says, if he's not covered, and is good for small gains without expecting too much YAC, then he's an absolute threat. He's also great at blocking downfield, so there's no harm in sending him on medium routes as well.

If you look back on the SB40 season, Miller's first, it's often overlooked just how crucial he was early on. We talk a lot about Ben being the missing piece of the puzzle on that team, but having a stud TE was also a huge factor.

14. BigSteel

BigSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    BA only used him in the first half to set up the long bomb to Wallace... I can't wait to see what he does in Indy

15. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Actually, running three TE sets can work very effectively. The Redskins did it to perfection in winning two SBs in the 80s. The scheme is designed to continuously keep defenses on their heels, because so many different formations and plays can be run from the three-TE sets. It can really drives defenses crazy. But Arians had no idea how to utilize the scheme. Good idea, bad execution.

16. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    As much as I love the guy I don't entirley disagree with some of the things he's not great at. If he isn't great after the catch, why isn't he Ben's go to big receiver in the endzone more? He's alao a good move the chains guy also. It's crazy we can't find another TE to block as well as him while he takes more than 2-3 passes per game.

17. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

In fact, I believe that Heath was the only player Haley mentioned by name in his press conference. Haley will be the best thing that's happened to Heath's career.

18. IlliniSteel

IlliniSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  19. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I just added up the totals from my grading project today, and you guys are gonna freak out when you see how I graded him. Freak. Out. I had to go back and check everything to see if it was right.

20. black&gold in NJ

black&gold in NJ Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012

When will you post your review?

21. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Here is the thing...and I too agree with everyone here (is that allowed???)...if they put Heath in the right spots he doesn't need to be athletic and elusive down the field. A tightend is a possession guy not a game breaking runner. If you have a game breaking runner god bless you but a TE does not need to be. If you need 10 yards and can position Heath at 10 yards that is all you need. These short dump-offs to Heath where he comes up short is not his fault. That fault belongs to Ben because I can bet Heath is not the 1st target on a dump off. If you watch how Tony Gonzales was used in Kansas you will see what I mean. I really don't think that he is any better than Heath and I actually think Heath has better hands. But Tony was given some great routes to run and in those routes things opened up for him. I am hoping we can do the same here. (By the way...a relative of mine plays for KC so I have seen my share of Tony play)

22. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Come on, I understand we're all homers on this site and want to pimp our players, but heath isn't nearly as good as perhaps the best TE ever. Tony is at worst a top 5 TE of all time, and at best the greatest TE of all time. Tony has great hands too but has the athleticism of a WR and can leap like a basketball player.

23. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm not a homer, I'll give any player that is good at their position the proper respect. For example, I don't believe Big Ben will every be the quarterback that Manning was/is. At best he can hope to be mentioned in the same breath but that is as close as he will ever come. I am only stating my opinion and observation the same as you are stating yours when you say Tony is top 5 of all time. Unfortunately, there is absolutely no way to prove who is top anything of "all time" since different rules/eras are in effect. So, at best, you can speculate that he may be a top 5 of "all time". Besides, the definition of what makes a good or great TE could be debated for hours. I am of the opinion that TE has to be a great blocker and have the intelligence to read things as they develope, as well as the other obvious qualities. Tony is no brain surgeon and was not a great blocker, however, he wasn't asked to be. Again, this is my opinion and my intent was not to direct this conversation to Tony Gonzales. My intent was to express hope that Heath is better utilized.

24. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    In the coming days, or a week at most.

25. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    C'mon snack and finish already. "Ted, we're dying...."