1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Heard BA is talking with another team. Guess who?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by diehardsteel, Jan 24, 2012.

1. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yep, AZ. Only opening they have is QB coach. Hmmmmm. :hmmm:

2. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't care who he is talking to as long as it is someone else!

3. jsteelers077

jsteelers077 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Hey if the steelers were not a team anymore and you had to root for some one else it could be az they have our coaches and players. HAHA.

4. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If he is talking to another team then I will begin to believe he was sacked by the Steelers.

5. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I was just about to post this. The Steelers said he retired. If that is true, then he wouldn't be looking for another gig. It's not often that the Steelers organization gets exposed for dishonesty. I don't know why they just didn't come out and say they did not renew his contract.

6. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
  7. mongoose

mongoose Active Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just looked at profootballtalk.com and there is an article concerning Ariens and his release. Here is the first paragraph...

Check PFT for remainder of article.

8. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Dishonesty? Not at all. I believe the term "retired" may have been used to give BA a little dignity on his way out and at the same time offer Tomlin some cover, so I'd have to say the Steeler's intentions were noble. If the rumor is true about him looking elsewhere, and it may be more teams than just AZ, it's clear he wasn't really interested in retiring.

9. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    I'm not saying it wasn't noble. I'm just saying that it is unusual for the Steelers FO not to just tell us like it is. Usually, they just come out and say it. He wasn't renewed. No value judgement there. I think they did the right thing, by Bruce and by us, but it just feels different.

10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    just read the article provided in the link and it stated that BA himself said that he still had the desire to be a NFL HC and applied for every opening last season and didn't get one interview. Really???? How shocking!! lol

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    It could of been worse they could have "retired" him like they do a horse. It was just time for him to go plain and simple, no explanation needed. Lets just move on and look forward to bigger and better things.

12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Well we do know his genius was totally unappreciated in our time. He is the greatest innovator in football since Paul Brown. ummm sarcasm very much implied. :yahoo:

13. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I hope he does become a head coach that way he will trade his whole draft amd all his star players for ben

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah and that puts to bed another one of his defenders theories that "maybe he didn't want to be a HC"

15. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I wonder if the AZ job is the intriguing one.
    Here's the full article the ppg links to~ http://www.ydr.com/sports/ci_19803396?s ... ost_viewed

16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It feels different because Coach Tomlin and Ben went and saved his job last year...They both made public statements about BA was coming back this year or they wanted him back.....I can hear the convo now Art calls Tomlin and Ben and says 'I will not be bringing BA back this year..'I think you guys know I have been more than fair and I took your advice under consideration last year..'This year just save your breath'...

Then Coach T and Ben go ..' Well can we at least let it seem he retired?'Art 'Yes I have NP with that.'I will simply tell him we are not going to renew his contract and he can use the retirement as an opt out message..'

17. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Who is this BA you speak of? Move along folks!!

18. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    For the sympathizers... "Consider that he still desired to become an NFL head coach, saying he applied for every open position last year but did not get an interview. Every time, someone younger prevailed, he said."

As an employer, would you consider keeping a guy that sent resumes out to every open head coaching position? Heck no. Arians rode his own horse out of town. He wasn't completely happy being an OC, fine he wanted to better himself, but as an employer running a billion dollar business, you don't need to condone that behavior. If anything, I gained even more respect for Art II and lost some for Tomlin.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You think BA is the only one who does that?

20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Nope I am sure he s not......The bigger part of the problem was his Boss told him what he expected and it appears that the Boss was not happy with his effort.....Now, put that with looking for work and helping to Break our 100 million dollar QB and our starting RB because of your style and lack of using talent...Then Art had no choice ,but to let him go....

He has hurt this Team more than any will ever know...And I am pleased someone finally stepped up and made the right decision......The bottom line is BA thinks he is a Great OC and he deserves a higher position...The truth is he is a Poor OC and everyone he sent a Application to must have felt the same way......

21. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Good Riddance! Go to any other team out there I will feel no remorse. If Ben is pouting about it then take his whiny little butt with you. What you saw is what you got with those two. A Coordinator who had no instict for situational playcalling and a QB who knew he could trump him.
    I'm a big Ben fan and a true Arians hater but the new Coordinator better grab a hold of Ben and let him know that he will not dictate how this next offense is going to be run.

22. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    I think it's petty of companies/organizations to retaliate against an employee who wants to grow. I hope this is not what the Steelers did.

I would think it's common knowledge, amongst employers, that employees constantly seek career growth. That's only natural.

23. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    I agree - especially in professional sports. No team is going to begrudge an assistant for seeking to move up.

24. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    Agreed. I, like others, also wonder why Tomlin hasn't reined all this in, with Ben, thus far? On Chalk Talk (Steelers.com videos), Tunch often points out wide-open receivers that Ben overlooks, while going for the long bomb. Now, this doesn't really become a big issue until there are INTs and/or stalling in the red zone. After going back over some highlights from previous seasons, it appears 2011 was everything crashing down, at once, and has drawn attention to issues that were covered up by the Steelers' winning so many games. But, like I have said all along, these issues actually became very visible, last year, on the run-up to the playoffs. That's when all this breaking-down started. It just didn't really become noticeable until SBXLV because the team lost a very winnable game. And, yes, BA was partially responsible for that. But so was Ben, and Tomlin. And that responsibility carries over to this season.

25. MikeFanForLife

MikeFanForLife Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    The term "retired" doesn't necessarily mean he is retiring from football. In the Corporate world I have known many people to announce their retirement from one company to take a position at another.