1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Haven't seen any post about Fallout

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Lizard72, May 30, 2024.

1. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Figured at least some of you would have something to say about the TV series!

2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Damn, I thought we had a nuclear attack;)

TBH I never heard of the show until right now. I typed nuclear attack as a joke. Imagine my surprise when I looked up what it was about.

3. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    about a Boy?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I watched it knowing nothing about the game series except that it was a post-nuclear war world. It has a really good mix of dark and twisted with tongue in cheek humor / satire. Plus, Walton Goggins is always great and if he's in something, I'll usually enjoy it. Even my wife, who is not a video game fan, and not much of a sci-fi fan liked it.

I enjoyed the series enough, I'm now finally playing one of the games. It didn't hurt that it got a next-gen update shortly after the series came out... and it was all free for me. :D Back when the PS5 first launched, and for the first couple years, if you had a PS5 and PSN account, they gave you a catalogue of PS4 games that were yours to "claim" and download for free. You didn't even have to download them. All you had to do was "claim" them, and you owned the game to download any time you wanted. It was similar to how they give out a couple free games every month. But this catalogue had a ton of very good, and popular games in it. So I got to play several games I had never played before and didn't even know if I'd like but found a few favorites in the process. Games like God of War, Batman Arkham Knight, Days Gone (which is awesome and rumored to be coming as a TV series too), etc. One of the games was Fallout 4. I had no interest in it really. My only reference to the game was very old still shots from the earliest games which didn't really pique my interest. But I claimed it anyway figuring maybe I'll get bored and want to try it some day.

So not long after the series came out, they released a next gen version of the game (updated graphics, higher resolution and frame rate). The kicker was, it was free if you already owned the game. :hehehe: So I got it for free. I'm having a lot of fun playing it and like it enough, I just bought all of the DLC (which is currently on sale for peanuts too).

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I've spent years playing the games back in the day. Of course....I'm the .....I must do every single little mission, and everything else that can be done type of guy, but I haven't watched the show yet.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I am too. Which is why after 2 weeks, I don't think I've even scratched the surface of the story.

There's a line in the show that I think was put in on purpose as a wink to players. After a character scolds another about "the Golden Rule," he retorts after changing plans, "We have our own Golden Rule in the wasteland: thou shalt be distracted by bull**** every G-D time."

(censored for the board filter)

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m almost done with the series. Good, fun TV. I have never played the games, but I’m going to check out the most recent one on PC IF it’s first person (I only like first person games).

8. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    It is. You can pull it out to 3rd person if you want, but it's first person by default.

There's a TON of mods for even console players. Some of the PC ones are crazy. LOL

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Its the only way to play a game.....JMO

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    For me Fallout was just middle of the Road material. Nothing like the Halo series which I couldn't get enough of.

I did not play either game, but the Halo series was just so much better for me. I mentioned over in the Halo thread, that die hard Halo fans pointed out to me that the reason I like the Halo series is because I didn't know what should have been happening, so there is that. I understand this because I was so disappointed in Dune 2 because they went completely off script. (You never saw his sister!!!)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Not gonna go full spoiler, but I think there’s an even larger WTF with the plot towards the end than not seeing Alia.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I haven't seen it yet. I think tomorrow night.

13. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm not even wasting my time.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You didn't like the 1st one???

15. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    It would have been more accurate, and even more entertaining if it was just 3 hours of the director smelling his own farts.

It's a crying shame when the Sci-Fi channel, with a budget 1/100th of what you got, made a better adaptation. (Not that it was great either. But of the three adaptations, so far, the best).

Visually, the movie was mostly awesome. I didn't care for a few costume / appearance decisions. But overall, they got the visuals close to what you would imagine. Everything else was a slow, dull, slog to get through. I can't imagine how anyone who never read the books made it even 15 minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I read the books…. 35 years ago, and it’s probably a good thing it’s been so long because my limited recollection of the book didn’t kill part 1 for me at all. Part 2 was great visually as well, but the story really got off track. More so even than part 1.

I don’t think it was even close to being as egregious as what was done with GOT at the end. That was a crime.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe we have all read the books.....is why. I like some of it, but I will have to see the 2nd part before I make any decisions on it.

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Oh Geez don't get Me started

19. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011

Yeah, wasn't too happy about that. Both previous {TV/Movies} had her in it and the Grandfather line is one of my favorites. Really don't think they delved into the actual material at all. Not enough of the Spacing Guild/Navigators influence or their limited prescience. Way too much staring at Channi in the first part. I know they left a lot of the Bene Gesserit to the upcoming show though. I just thought they were never really the most interesting part.

20. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    The crime of the Sci-fi series was the special effects. I watched both parts in IMAX and visually is was stunning, but they really didn't show much of the entire universe. I kept waiting for the Navigators to appear showing the importance of what was going on. There was plenty of time for some of that to be in, but they chose sweeping shots and staring at Chani.

• Like Like x 2
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Don't You Guys know that selling millions of books isn't enough to prove they are great stories, and are great as they are.....so some less talented person must come along, and try putting their spin on things. I've always wondered why nobody ever tells them.....Hey if the books didn't sell on their own.....we wouldn't be making movies of them.
    Example: I Am Legend. Books been out since 1954.....it's a awesome book.....yet it has had over 5 movies made from it, and not once have they actually done the book......why is that so freaking hard???

• Winner Winner x 1