1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Have We Seen the NFL Potential of Mason Rudolph?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Dec 2, 2019.

1. No, Mason will eventually play at an NFL caliber level and supplant Ben as the Franchise QB

12.1%
  2. No, Mason will eventually play at an NFL caliber level but be a career backup in the NFL.

67.2%
  3. Yes, He doesn't have what it takes to be an NFL QB and is destined to join Landry Jones in the XFL

20.7%
  1. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Rudolph looked good enough for many of us here to call for Randy to uncuff him... Prior to getting KTFO! He seriously mentally did not rebound from that moment. We'll see what time brings moving forward with him but I'm okay with continuing the experiment when he gets his next shot... Til then let's roll Hodges!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. MackDog21

MackDog21 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2017
    The way he got knocked out vs the Ravens, and when the cart didn't work and they took his facemask off.. he looked silly. He got knocked completely out in an instant. I suspect he has had concussions in the past, maybe that werent reported in HS or college. He probably needed to be out 4 weeks minimum with 2 weeks practice snaps before playing in a game again. I don't think that bodes well on his longterm career unless him getting a concussion was more of a freak accident then something that could happen a few more times. Maybe career journeyman backup is the perfect position for him. I think hed be fine there. A better version of Landry Jones. I think Duck is better and will be better QB and hope we can keep both until Bens gone and then go from there

• Like Like x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    OK, keep turning a blind eye to Roethlisberger's pitiful performance vs. Patriots and Seahawks with JuJu and Conner in the lineup. It's gonna be more of the same next year unless Ben comes back with fire and fury... which I highly doubt at his age.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Who really knows how Ben is going to be when he comes back. He is cemented for 2 more years with that contract.

Most here are bashing Rudolph like he didn't do anything positive. He did. Then he got his skull bashed in. Twice. He definitely needs to regroup.

Hodges throws caution to the wind, and has played pretty well at this point and has earned the starts. But, what happens when the struggles happen?

Both Rudolph and Hodges I hope are retained.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Ben is by no means safe if he comes back and plays badly. They can cut / retire him and save a fortune against the cap, 42m over two seasons to be exact. No room for sentiment when there is that much money involved.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Patriots have the best past defense in the NFL and Coach Hoodie had all offseason to get ready for that game. Throw in a long history of slow starts for Roethlisberger, the incompetence of Moncrief and the fact that he actually hurt his elbow in that game and basing an evaluation on that game makes little sense. Given that he played that one half against the Seahawks with a torn elbow ligament that ended his season makes even less sense.

It is entirely possible that Roethlisberger will never play well again due to his age and his recovery from that injury, but the 0-2 record this season has very little to do with that.

None of that changes the fact that using the team's record in his starts is a terrible way to evaluate the play of a quarterback. The entire team played like garbage in the opener and it was the collapse of the defense in the second half that cost the Steelers the loss to the Seahawks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They will not get cap relief by cutting Roethlisberger and they cannot force him to retire.

8. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    You don’t understand the cap if you think they can’t save anything by cutting him.

As for forcing him to retire you are technically correct, but if he comes back and is dreadful you give him a choice to retire or be cut at the end of 2020. My guess, he retires to save face.

9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The franchise tag would of been the best approach. They should of put Ben’s loyalty to the test and see how bad he wanted to play as a Steeler. Like they say it’s better to get rid of a player a year sooner than a year too late. A players contract should be based on what you think he’s going to be worth going forward, not based on what he did in the past.

10. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Players resent the tag though, you cant do it unless Ben is 100% on board with it which is extremely unlikely. He wanted the security of a longer deal and he was playing well at the time. The deal was fine and I think they see that 2021 year as optional given it is so cheap to get out of the contract at that stage. The injury is what messed everything up.

11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Interesting thought. The idea of using two QB's in the game. Usually that means things are going bad for your team. I always think it is a confidence shaker for the guy getting pulled and right now IMO the Steelers need to get behind one or the other and ride him for the next 16 quarters and hopefully another 4 at least.

12. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    That is because you live among Cowboy fans. Remember it was a Cowboy who said Bradshaw couldn't spell cat if you spotted him the c and t.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I realize players resent the tag but many are forced to play by those rules. Ben was still under contract for this season. We could of played hardball and why not test his loyalty when everyone else’s gets questioned all the time. What he wanted and what was truly best for the team are two different things. Organizations need to plan for the future as well. This isn’t something I’m saying in hindsight. I said he should be tagged the whole time. Clearly the injury messed things up but that should of been in the back of their minds as well. Like I said players should be paid based on the concept of future performance,not what they did last year. I just wonder how people would of felt if they played hardball with Ben and he didn’t show the same loyalty expected of everyone else.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I don’t know. Ben is a franchise legend that has led them to two SuperBowls, There is no precedent to tagging a guy like that and I think he’d see it as a slap in the face from the team. I see where you are coming from but there was no reason not to extend him when they did. I was a little surprised at the amount, I don’t think he is worth 33.5m even fully healthy.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You claimed that they can save $42 million by cutting him this offseason, clearly demonstrating that you are the one who doesn't understand anything about the cap.

16. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Ben is going to earn nearly $70m over the next two seasons. You say there is no cap relief if they cut him? That is exactly what you wrote. I might be a little out with my figure depending on when theoretically he is cut, when roster bonuses are due etc. but you are so wrong it’s not even funny.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  17. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I miss Ben

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    It will be 55 million in dead cap space next year if Ben decides he can not return because of his injury.

There is an injury clause in the new contract he just signed.

19. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes I know about the $30m injury guarantee but all indications are that it is not a career ender so that’s not the scenario being discussed. If a healthy Ben returns but is cut or decides to retire for personal reasons the dead cap is $25m iirc.

Just out of interest, surely it would not be just up to Ben to say he cannot return due to injury and it would require medical signoff? Can’t imagine the organisation would or could eat $55m, they would likely put him on IR again if he genuinely cannot play.

20. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I miss Ben with Willie Parker, Hines Ward, Heath Miller and Jerome Bettis...you know, the Steelers who actually won Super Bowls.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You are the one who made a claim that they can save $42 million in cap space by cutting him before next season. Your figure is a lot more than a little off. You are so wrong that it is actually very funny. Thank you for providing me with amusement.

22. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Deflection and condescension. The last stand of a lost argument. I find it telling that that is the path you took rather than clarifying your initial statement. As I suspected, you don’t have a clue what you are talking about. Possibly after realising your statement was totally incorrect you are now trying to extricate yourself from the debate without standing over what you wrote.

The article below does a good job of explaining the situation while blowing your claim out of the water. 8.5m saving against the cap if retired, cut or traded in 2020 (after the dead cap) and he is off the cap slate thereafter meaning they save his full cap charge in 2021. Interestingly they cannot spread the dead cap charge over two seasons because of the CBA expiring which I didn’t know.

Perhaps you’d be so kind as to clarify why I and the author of the article below are wrong? Straight answer please

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.be...-ben-roethlisberger-in-2020-mason-rudolph-nfl

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I could have been more careful with my wording when I pointed out just how ridiculously off you were in your initial claim. You are still way off. You still don't get how the cap works. I doubt anybody on this board truly gets all of the aspects of how it works, but you were the one throwing that accusation around as if you knew something.

I didn't say they couldn't get relief if he retired. I said he won't and they can't make him. He's not getting traded either. I specifically focused on what happens if he gets cut, which also is extremely unlikely to happen.

But hey, if you want to keep making me laugh, by all means. I can always use a good smile.

24. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    What you said is above in black and white and you are back-pedalling now and trying to shift the goalposts. You are quick to tell me I’m wrong but will not be drawn in to why, what a surprise that is!

Either give some specifics or I’m done.
    Its quite clear you can’t, or more likely won’t because you know you are wrong. Your glib replies are a dead giveaway.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Foes the link you posted support your initial claim?