1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Have the Steelers done a bad job?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by oldschool, Mar 28, 2023.

1. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I honestly think where this team ultimately failed was not winning any SB's during Ben's best years from around 2010-2018. That team with AB and Bell was able to score with just about anyone. Injuries and other things kinda just got in the way. 2019 until now has been a bit of a transition period with AB just dipping, Ben getting injured and never returning to form and the OL just completely being rebuilt, and 2022 being Kenny's rookie season.

I agree that they probably could've cut ties with Ben and began the reset a year or two earlier. I understand they wanted to let him go out on his terms. I think they're doing ok in the draft as well. Harris and Muth in 21 really marked the beginning of the retooling with Kenny and Pickens getting drafted last year. I probably would've done it differently but I'm not the guy getting paid. I do think the team is on the right path. The OL is stronger with the only piece needed is an LT and a better OC. Defensively they seemed to get stronger against the run but about equal against the intermediate passing game. I think getting a S and coverage LB in the draft helps fix that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I wouldn't say bad but not exactly top third of the league in their decisions over the past 10 or 12 years. Pouncey was aging and getting pushed around for at least two full years before they addressed it and when they did it was a reach. Ben as much as I loved what he did for us in his prime , his last 3 yrs were really below his standard . The year he got hurt I thought his arm looked noticeably weak in the few plays he ran in preseason and the first game and half of the season. Then they extend him for 2 more years at 38 or 40 mil. Try building a team when your limp armed QB is a statue and eating up 38 mil in cap space.

I am only guessing ( like most of us do ) but I suspect Tomlin got a lot more involved in the draft in the past 7 years. Colbert was almost always a BPA kind of GM but things changed and the Steelers started drafting or reaching to fill needs. Safety/corners and corner/safeties and not really good at either.
    Najee is good but using a 1st rd pick on a RB and not having a good Oline is a bit of a wasted pic.
    I am not even sure he is that much better than Warren. He probably is but 7 rounds better.

I hope they change their ways and Khan and Wiedl might be just what they need. Wiedl from what happened in Philly appears to be focused on Oline and Dline first.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    The last decade? Very bad. The last year? Pretty good and they're in position to add from the strengths of this draft. I think this is a playoff team this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Yes, they did. this fits the Iron Maiden song, "The Wasted Years" I call them the Ben -Tomlin years and it be in my upcoming memoir....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    how / why? Does Tomlin and Canaduh get shown the door at the end of THIS YEAR?

6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    agreed somewhat.

it speaks of poor management, many companies / sports organization fail b/c of this and we are another example.

this is not hindsight as, some would like to call it. this WAS foresight, by some....

7. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    yes

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They should have grabbed Adam Thelin for this roll this year. Good handed solid vet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    agreed - stated that somewhere back in early March. they need a veteran presence as well.

10. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Have the bengals done bad? If no, then neither have the steelers.

11. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    umm, well, yes under a loser HC and stuck with him way too long.

Now they are on the right path.

much better spot than we are right now, and for the foreseeable future

we sniffed one AFCCG since 2010. that is not good enough. and lost to some suck QB's / Teams in the playoffs over that time. (see Tebow and Bortles)

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Well someone here predicted that Pickett will have a burrow "like " jump next yr, so if the bengals have been good to you then the steelers will be that.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe

If Canada improves this year we will be better in 2024

If he doesn’t he will be gone in 2024

Either way we will be better

Plus we seem to be improving some of the holes we had

I was ready to move on from Tomlin after the Jax game but I expect he will be extended

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Who

Back up the claim that gets you do excited

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018

Attached Files:

16. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    You've hung on to this quote longer than a married gal berating her husband for looking at another girls butt 15 years earlier. This has literally been your focal point for nearly 2 months. You're gonna have to let it go, man.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    People have said other things overatting Pickett but don't have time to dig all that up so this is the most recent and direct quote I have proof of as people have amnesia. Like I literally posted the quote and jeh literally tried to tell me I misinterpreted the quote but is acting like now he doesn't know what im referring to and asks for proof lol.

18. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I do remember the initial debate about this quote months ago and the truth is, you did misinterpret TDFWs original quote. Quite badly actually. He said Pickett "CAN", make a Burrow-like jump not that he "WILL" make a Burrow-like jump. Obviously you see the difference right? My guess is you are just trying to be argumentative because this is a really small thing to hang your hat on. You make some snarky comment about it at least once every few days. Wouldn't you, as a Steelers fan, want Pickett to make that jump?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And you did

• Like Like x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And it says “can” not “will”

That is not what you keep claiming

Lying and plagiarizing

• Like Like x 1
  21. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    You are absolutely right that it is impossible to know for sure. I don't know if we'd have won a SB with him but I do know we'd have been a major threat every season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Now....that is something I can agree with :thumbs_up:

23. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I think it can snow tomorrow but I'm just mentioning that for no reason just because it can happen. People only mention predictions that can happen when they really don't believe that they will happen. You can't make any implications of that.

24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    If he does cool. But I don't think he WILL.

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly this^^^^^^^

• Like Like x 2