1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hate Todd Haley??? Read on

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hi5Steeler, Jun 24, 2015.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Haley taught Ben how to read the defense?

2. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    How much of that would you attribute to Whisenhunt? He held a lot of play calling responsibility that season, and much of that offense was his.

He certainly deserves some blame for that loss, no?

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Rush said nothing about Arians, why even bring him into it. It has nothing to do with the poor game plan Haley came up with in the Baltimore game. And I see you want to absolve all coaches not named Tomlin of any blame. Whatever gets you through the day.

Yeah, ok, because that really is comparing apples to apples. :thumbs_up:

And uh, Haley's offense lost that SB, looossssst, as in didn't do enough to win the game. Arians offense did, in crunch time with one of the best game winning drives in SB history. Period. End of story.

Yeah, I was wondering about that :hmmm:

4. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    That loss, like most losses, is a team effort.

How so?

Take this example:

In that WC loss against the Ravens, the offense scored 15 points. Without a RB.

In the 2008 AFCCG win over the Ravens, Arians' offense, with all its weapons, scored 16 points against the Ravens. And won.

Difference? Defense. Arians had to beat 14 points. Haley had to beat 30.

But you're right: Haley was the problem.

What is it going to take to get some of you to admit that the biggest problem with this team over the past couple of seasons is the defense? You all understand that the 2013 and 2014 teams rank #2 and #3 for most points allowed by a Steelers team since the merger?

But you can keep on blaming Haley if you want. I seriously cannot believe that this is even a debate right now. :facepalm:

5. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    BTW:

Super Bowl XLIII: Cardinals 407 total yards; Steelers 292 total yards.

Offensive points scored: Cardinals 21 Steelers 20

The Cards offense had the better game.

James Harrison's return was the difference in the game. Arians had nothing to do with that. And Haley didn't really, either. It was simply a great play by a great player.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Can't believe I am going to say this but whats with the strawman argument? Thats a totally different discussion. Haleys not above reproach and definitely not perfect. If people can question DL with all his accomplishments, then we can damn well question Haley.

Sorry but everyone had a hand in that lost to Baltimore, coaches on down to the players, they laid an egg, Haley isn't the exception there.

7. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm not sure if I should respond to your snark with snark of my own, or... :shrug:

Why are you so defensive about Haley? Where did I say he was the problem? He was part of the problem. Like you said, it was a team loss, though, the way you said it kind of seemed like you were avoiding actually saying that Haley was partly to blame for the loss.

I asked you this earlier, perhaps you missed it:

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

The defense obviously hasn't been the dominating defense it was a handful of years ago.

8. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Haley is far, far, far down the list of this team's issues right now. That's the bottom line. I am not defensive about Haley as much as pointing out that some of the arguments against him aren't very good arguments.

I didn't think I was being asked the Whisenhunt question, but it's a non-issue. I don't really care who called plays in SB XLIII, not do I really care which offense did what. The point is, arguing that Haley did nothing doesn't make much sense. Haley would have a SB, and not Arians, if the two men had switched teams prior to 2008.

I am not into the Arians vs Haley stuff, but will bring it up if only to point out the ridiculousness of some of the arguments. The offense is better now than it's been at any time in Roethlisberger's tenure here, and I'm not sure there's much more to say beyond that.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

The level of blame placed on ALL coaches is ridiculous. It has and always will be more about the plyers more than anything else.

Funny thing is, TTF and myself aren't putting the Baltimore loss all on Haley, only that he played a part of that loss as well.

10. Hi5Steeler

Hi5Steeler Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015

You have just outplayed every poster, mod, and admin on this board. And I am man enough to admit you are 100% right on all counts.

Well done

11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I probably shouldn't get into this, but you sure seem intent on starting arguments lately?

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not sure if this is supposed to be tongue in cheek since he agrees with your position, so, not sure what you are man enough to be admitting to.

As for the rest.... :roflmao:

13. Hi5Steeler

May 1, 2015

Thems fightin words

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I'm your Huckleberry!

15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Glenn serious question for a sec. So you think we create a jailhouse mentality among new members? I mean Llyoddestroys kinda came in and was spoiling for a fight right out of the gate too. I don't think we make it terribly hard to establish credibility but then again what do I know since I outright accused you of being the Glenn from the old board who was a troll. Which I can't apologize enough for.

16. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    :rolleyes:

17. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Mmhmm. Curious, isn't it?

18. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    No. I'll guarantee if you could follow certain posters around the internet, almost all of them leave a trail of similar behavior. Trolls are just trolls. This is probably more of a watercooler topic, though.

19. Hi5Steeler

May 1, 2015
    Wait a minute here, just a dog gone minute!!! Are you guys all talking about me??? Hell Ive forgotten more about the steelers than most have ever learned! Meaning I have a vast understanding of the team....

Just because im pretty much ALWAYS right does not make me a troll, I bleed black and gold, I bet money on the steelers 4th superbowl win, as a wee lad, I go to every Steeler game on the west coast, ive watched the Steelers lose in Oakland twice, San Francisco twice, and win once, and paid for tickets to the Steeler San Diego game this year down in SoCal.

Ive been on Stillernation for years, Stillers.com for years, and other sites, hell id still be there but seems every few years every steeler board ive been on eventually disappears due to ownership either getting incarcerated or falling drunk off a bridge in the Burgh.

Hi5Steeler is an internet Steeler Legend by GOD and I will NOT be ridiculed!!!!

Good day you Sirs !!!!

20. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    No. LOL. I wasn't calling you a troll. Didn't mean for it to come out that way. We do have higher standards then those crapholes, though, and this place will never disappear. When I fall off a bridge, drunk or otherwise, my will has explicit instructions so my wife will keep this place running.

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    No, I just think when you've heard the same rants over and over, then a new guy comes along with the same material like he's the only one to have ever said it, you kinda have low tolerance.

I remember being accused of being someone from the old board. I think it was GlennD? I had forgot it was you who said that though. (no worries at all) I never posted there. For some reason they never activated my account. Something about not having an approved email.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Holly cow, yeah, GlennD, I remember him, he didn't post much, IIRC, his schtick was to come on after a win and call out people then disappear again.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He got better on the check down than he was. BA didn't stress that. Haley has. I wasn't going for anything grandiose.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Easy there, this is a G rated show.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't believe Ben really started checking down until Bell got here, certainly not to the extent he does now, Bell is a huge weapon. I think it's more a result of his presence than anything else.