1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hate to say this but...Brady and Hoodie never lose

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Dec 12, 2017.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Of course they can still win if they give up 38, if they score 39 like they did vs the Ravens.

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I don't care if the Pats score 60 as long as we score 61 ;).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Cortez Allen manned up on Gronk that whole game and absolutely shut him down. Best performance of his short career.

Last year they did the same thing against the Chiefs by matching up Justin Gilbert on Kelce.

Don't know if we have anyone to do that now. Maybe they'll shock the world and assign Brian Allen to cover Gronk all day? :shrug:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  4. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    And Steelers have been ready for 3 weeks, says Tomlin. And they still took care of business.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Not necessarily fully "on purpose" but perhaps more of an easing up a bit, just like when Seabiscuit faced War Admiral: Sometimes instead of beating a horse (or a team) 100% of the time, the best riders/coaches know that sometimes - for success in the long haul - you lay off a little at one point. This could be what BB did in this case. After all, he is the greatest coach in NFL history.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Boom. roasted.

7. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    They were still playing the dolphins lol

8. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Can't stop the run because of Shazier's injury unfortunately. It also hurt that we had to play a lot more two high safety against the rats to try to cover for Sensabaugh and Sutton (although Sutton seemed to perform alright). The help was definitely there.

DB's play off because of scheme. Haden makes it easier for us to play more man than before. Likely will see less "cushion" with Haden in

We may just have to game plan our way into trying to let Heyward/Tuitt/Hargrave eat up the middle and try to pressure the receivers at the LOS. Make Brady get rid of the ball and pressure the "safety valve" routes.

TBH I'm most scared of Gronk and the RB routes out of the backfield. Without Shazier we really don't have any ILB that can match up with them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I don't chart plays or anything, but I've seen us play a lot more cover 2-man under this year than in the past.

I think Burns actually plays press better than zone.

Haven't seen enough of Sutton yet to form an opinion on whether or not he can play press, but I do like what I've seen from him so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    The Pats lost to the Dolphins because they couldn't beat them. Simple as that. To suggest otherwise is as crazy as it sounds.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Confuscious - 532 BC

12. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Butler and Tomlin are in a team meeting saying I really think zone will work this time.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Gronkowski was suspended for the fish game. They're saving the A game for the Steelers

14. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They were missing Gronkowski . That's Brady's main man.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    What happens after they lose is about the same as happens after every other game they play
    I looked it up. Their winning percentage is about the same coming off a win or a loss. It's usually a win. They are a good team, and their coach most definitely never loses on purpose

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Refs were letting a lot of hand fighting go last night. All depends on what crew one gets I guess.

17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Vegas has us 2.5 or underdog

18. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Tony Corrente & Co.

19. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yes - my point (which I have banged on about since that the AFCCG debacle) is that it's not anywhere near as simple as 'man' vs 'zone'. Brady can shred any defense.

Miami played man well (certainly not the whole game, mind - there were some good disguised zone blitzes along the way), but my view is that they did this mostly by getting pressure with a 4-man rush. The good old Giants way.

Plus, Brady looked uncharacteristically uncomfortable. I do wonder if his Achilles is causing issues. They didn't seem to use the short passing game much, and didn't read the defense well in general. A bad day at the office all round for the Pats.

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Agree with this, though I think it’s been some Cover 1 man with Davis taking a back or slot receiver, not being a 2nd deep safety. I think Cover 2 man with Mitchell and Gay as the deep safeties could be interesting for a handful of snaps. I don’t want Gay on anyone in man coverage, but he is pretty savvy with the play in front of him.

I think Burns is a different player in man coverage. I don’t think he’s ready to turn in a performance like Xavien Howard did, but I do think he can do a credible job taking the outside receiver on his side of the field with safety help over the top.

When we mix in zone, I’d rather see more Cover 2 with the outside corners in the flats than Cover 3 with our outside corners deep. Cover 3 has not been kind to Burns (to put it mildly). Again, I’d rather see that with Gay as a deep safety than Davis. I think he “gets” the coverage concepts far better than Davis. I like Davis better near the LOS.

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The hole is getting deeper.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah right like the Steelers safeties ever help their CBs over the top, they always get there too late.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They won the Super Bowl without Gronkowski :shrug:

24. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He still had Edelman in the SB and if the Falcons ran the ball at the end the cheats would've lost. He had neither vs the fish. I have a feeling the cheats weren't showing everything vs the fish knowing the world was watching them. Plus Miami's D has been playing well lately . If the steelers could borrow the fish D we would crush the cheats

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  25. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Gonna have to beat them at least once, if not twice to get to Super Bowl.

Or,
    A loss to them this week and then Pats get knocked out of Playoffs.