1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hate the playoff seeding

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Nov 25, 2015.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We can go 12-4 and be a 5th seed, while Cowboys colts or Texans can be 7-9 or 8-8 and be the 4th lol

2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'm not personally a fan either. But, you have had a few 7-9 teams 8-8 teams knock off better teams in the playoffs.
    I think their has to be a reward for winning your division, I think it should guarantee you playoffs but not if a non- division winner
    has a better record than you do.

You can stick a fork in the Cowboys, after Newton is done with them Thursday.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It has it's quirks.

On a side point, I'm always surprised that - given how much the NFL wants high scoring games - amount of points scored is always considered so late down the list of tiebreakers.

4. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    the past few years I have felt that the team with the most super bowl trophies should have an automatic playoff birth
    just sayin

it is what it is tho and I firmly believe it is better than changing it by increasing the number of playoff teams like that yoyo Jerry Jones was wanting.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Imagine the ramifications of that though- we could tank all 16 regular season games to guarantee us the #1 overall draft pick the next season every year until someone catches us - which would be essentially never because we would have a team full of #1's after a while. :roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    A big part of those 8-8/7-9 teams winning has to do with the home field advantage they are given for winning their weak division. I'm totally on board with division winners getting an automatic playoff bid. There has to be a reward for that. But it will be hard to convince me an 8-8 team deserves to have a home game against a 12-4 team. It shouldn't happen.

Maybe the division winner gets a home game unless they finish with a .500 or worse record. Then their opponent in the playoffs gets the home game if they have a better record.

In all honesty it's hard to justify changing the way it is, but it sure does suck for a team with a good record to travel to a 8-8 team's stadium for the wild card game. It could happen in both the AFC (south) and NFC (east) this year.

7. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I am NOT a fan. You want to play a home game? win the division. I hear this junk about take the division champs away and hate that. If the nfl starts that bullsh*t I will give up football watching. Godfather Trillogy is on today. I can always find that movie on TV. Besides next year we could be 8-8 and win the division. You want to play that junk then?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    See my post 1 up from here

9. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I would be perfectly fine with a division win guaranteeing a playoff spot, but overall record dictating home field advantage.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    I agree with this. Shouldn't have to travel to play a 7-9 team.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I doubt we can win the division this year. In fact, I hope we clinch a wildcard early while at the same time the division is decided so Tomlin has the opportunity to rest some players in week 17.

Now if the Bungles keep losing and open the door wide to win the division, then yeah that would be worth no rest.

12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Not going to happen. The last 2 games matter because it's divisional. Losing that first one against the Ravens was critical. Again a loss to a sub-500 team (That you had beaten on the field if you just convert on downs or kick a field goal or not fumble a punt) is going to play a key role in this teams playoff bid. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

13. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Not me

14. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Think about the year we had to go to Denver 2011. Ryan Clark didn't play, due to his sickle cell. You think Tebow would have beat us at Heinz field I think not.

15. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    I really hate the playoff seeding when we're not part of them

not sure of the percentage but just looking back recently it seems that a team with a better record misses the playoff more than I initially thunk

16. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Put me in the camp that best 2 records get the byes and home-field and then rank the remaining 4 teams on record to determine who plays where.

17. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    what I have found so far

20 teams since 1978 (16 game seasons) have missed the playoffs with a record of 10-6 or better
    that's better than 50%
    if we add teams with simply a better record than other division winners mi say the percentage is higher obviously

guess it is nothing new
    so yeah
    I'm going to stick with me being a traditionalist

18. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    So you agree with me Dar.
    All you guys wanting best record stuff to have a home game before a division champ. DO NOT BYITCH WHEN WE ARE DIV CHAMPS AT 7&9 and playing on the road 1st game

19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I haven't really seen a home field advantage for us in awhile, regular season or post season. So the seeding this year has no affect on me. Just get in. I'd rather play on the road in the playoffs this year for some reason.

20. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

7-9 and Division Champs shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.:ACK!:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Yep - not since MNF at the Murph last month. :clapping:

22. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    yes
    I agree
    I posted in general nfl an article that is recent that talks about the playoffs and losing record teams
    I can see the other side of the argument to an extent

just leave it alone,they have changed a lot lately and it is tiresome.

23. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm fine with it. A record alone doesn't tell the whole story. What if a super division of teams cannibalize themselves during the year, but are all superior to the rest of the conference? Winning the division needs to mean something.

Destroying the seeding will make winning the division more meaningless, and as a result division rivalries will become nonexistent. I think its the rivalries that makes the NFL what it is. Its what makes the NFL regular season more interesting than MLB or NBA regular seasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    DaStellars said: "
    I'm fine with it. A record alone doesn't tell the whole story. What if a super division of teams cannibalize themselves during the year, but are all superior to the rest of the conference? Winning the division needs to mean something.

Destroying the seeding will make winning the division more meaningless, and as a result division rivalries will become nonexistent. I think its the rivalries that makes the NFL what it is. Its what makes the NFL regular season more interesting than MLB or NBA regular seasons

---Count me in with all of the above. ---

---What if this so called 7-9 or 8-8 div winner's schedule included 4 other [intra?] conference games vs 16-0 14-2 12-4 & 10-6 teams and inter conf teams with the same record. Also one of their wins was over your team which did win another division. Their fans would wonder WTF are you doing in the PO's. It could happen.

darcrav said: "I posted in general nfl an article etc"

---Where is that at? [Never mind! I found it. You should have put it in this thread.] Anyway it was written by some chick. She gives as an example last year Carolina getting in as the div winner at 7-9 and the Eagles out at 10-6. Nonsense. Apparently the 7-9 was not a true indicator of the strength of the Panthers.

DaStellers also said "Its what makes the NFL regular season more interesting than MLB or NBA regular seasons"

---Not only interesting but fairer. Those other so called leagues setups is a joke. Not sure they are even worth watching.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Chainmover1

Jan 3, 2014
    This argument comes up every year and it is really not a valid one. The current NFL league structure is as near perfect as anything like this could be. Tampering with the structure would be a big mistake and of course it would never happen.

Suggesting that a loser replace a division winner is absurd. That would be tampering with the entire league structure. First of all, these WC's are losers and should not even be considered as possible league champions in the first place. Their addition was mutually agreed to by the league and frankly it was a good decision. But the purists would argue that only the 4 division winners in each conference should be eligible to compete for the world championship.

A number of posters think leaving it alone is best and why not, it is the best setup of all the major sports why screw it up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Chainmover1

Jan 3, 2014
    While were on this topic this just dawned on me. In earlier years the league only had 10 12 14 teams in the 50's and 60's. They were split into two conferences East/West.

I wonder if these same folks were around then suggesting that the 2nd or 3rd or 4th teams in one of the conferences should play for the league championship since they had a better record than the other conf winner. It not only could happen but did at times.

1. Cleveland Browns 11 1 0 .917 331 152 179 43 6-0 5-1 0-0 .000 9-0 1.000 2-1 11W 5-0
    2. New York Giants 9 2 1 .818 254 161 93 31 5-1 4-1-1 0-0 .000 7-2-1 .778 2-0 4W 4-1

1. Los Angeles Rams 8 4 0 .667 392 261 131 51 5-2 3-2 0-0 .000 7-2 .778 1-2 1W 3-2
    2. Detroit Lions 7 4 1 .636 336 259 77 44 3-3-1 4-1 0-0 .000 5-4-1 .556 2-0 1L 3-