1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Haskins vs. Rudolph. There are no winners here

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Formerscribe, Jan 23, 2022.

1. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    It's only a waste of resources if you think that it has no value. I honestly don't believe any NFL team thinks that hiding your true draft intentions as much as possible has no value. On the contrary, it's how the game is played.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    :roflmao: That's who he reminded me of as well.

[​IMG]

Did you know that Ridder is a "girl dad"? That is the kind of endearing backstory that could launch Ridder to the top of Tomlin's draft board. Ridder has character. Maybe not as much as Artie Burns but still a lot.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Minkah played for Alabama. There were probably 10 other players drafted from Alabama that year. If Minkah had played for Liberty they might not have their own scouting report on him.

4. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    So we can expect reinforcements like last year? Trai Turner and Kendrick Green? Awesome. I forgot about those massive upgrades. Thanks I feel better now.

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Could someone tell me how MR got this far in football with
    the footwork he possess? I can't believe someone has not worked with him along
    time ago. Or just pay someone to work on his agility and foot speed. He will bee out of
    football if this is not corrected.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    For those that don't believe that teams would invest resources in players that they're not interested in purely as a smokescreen, here you go. Written by a Greg Gabriel, former scouting director for the Bears.

https://www.nationalfootballpost.co...e-directors-report/the-games-of-draft-season/

"While I was with the Bears, I would change things every year so the media could not be certain as to why we were doing things. One year I may bring in for visits many of the players we were interested in and the next year not bring in any and then the next year only guys we may want as potential free agents. Of course then there were some years when you would bring in the big “smoke screen” candidate only to let other clubs “think” we were interested in that player. I felt you could never have a pattern on how you did business; you have to change from year to year especially when dealing with the draft."

Here's another one:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2014/...smoke-screens-standard-fare-evaluation-season

In the story it describes how the Chiefs went so far as to set up a fake workout with Geno Smith to make it look like they were interested in him.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t know why people doubt this. It’s common sense you’d want to throw teams off of who you are interested in.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    I expect us to be pretty mediocre to bad until we are able to draft a 1st round QB. What I hope we do until then is spend the money at other positions that we will not have to spend on a QB, thereby improving the overall talent level. Once that happens, we turn to the draft and hope to get lucky. For every Mahomes and Allen, there are lots of bad 1st round QB’s; Daniel Jones, Darnold, Rosen, etc…

Patience people.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    FYI, I am very close to Kyle and his family. I’ve known him since he was in 4th grade. Very good people but I’d be surprised if Kyle lasts past the 5th-7th pick.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, it would be shocking if he made it to us. I think everyone on my wish list is long gone by the time we pick. Probably Willis has the best chance but even he will likely go much sooner.

I don’t know if they are ready to move up again after doing so for Bush.

11. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    The thing he has going against him is his position. Safeties are generally the least valued position on the defensive side.

In the last ten drafts, only two times have safeties been taken in the Top 10 with the top being 6th. In three drafts a safety wasn't even taken in the first round. There's only been two safeties, Sean Taylor and Eric Berry, drafted in the Top 5 in the last 30 years.

He's super gifted, but just by being a safety it's somewhat of a crapshoot. He could go 5th, 8th, or 15th. None of those would surprise me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm interested with what Mike Sullivan can do in year two. We really haven't had a true QB coach I awhile. Sure we have had interns. Part time coordinators/QB coaches. Ben being gone puts all his work towards our next guy. Canada can put his full work into our next guy. Both not having to alter anything going forward. Sullivan is good. I have faith he can make some strides with our QBs. Yes even mason rudolph. First string reps through a whole camp with all these coaches attention on the task at hand. I believe we will see some differences. I'm giving Sullivan a chance. I think he will surprise many. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They will have about 46 million in cap space, so we can expect to get better players than Turner.

14. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I don't expect anything. The last Pro Bowl level OL I remember the Steelers taking in FA was Hartings. Was that 02?

15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    A player can be good and help the team, but not be a Pro Bowler :shrug:.

16. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    OK what's your list?

17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I haven't studied it yet, the season isn't over.

18. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    They could draft or sign a guy with no arms and id be happier than them starting Rudolph.

19. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    But, Rudolph is a guy with no arm. :guitarplayer:

• Like Like x 1
  20. 88Unstoppable82

88Unstoppable82 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2021
    I have ZERO interest in any quarterback currently known to be available via any route this offseason. So my suggestion is to abandon the quarterback position for 2022 and run 100% wildcat, with a plethora of variations off of that.

Then they can go back to pursuing a LEGITIMATE quarterback option for 2023 and beyond.

I'm not kidding, this has to be the WORST offseason for quarterbacks in my memory.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    No **** Sherlock

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Especially when you add in the salary of the player you are replacing