1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Haskins vs. Rudolph. There are no winners here

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Formerscribe, Jan 23, 2022.

1. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    You heard more that they are? And you reference Mel Kiper. Ok.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You think they are just going to roll the same group out there for 2022?

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Every bit of cap room matters, but that isn't the concern. That they might lock themselves into keeping Haskins as well as Rudolph makes it more likely that they will at least consider having those two be the only options competing for the starting job in 2022.

4. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    a lot of people feel that 2023 is a much better draft class. If you want a chance at one of those top guys then a high draft pick is needed. Rolling with those two is probably the way to get there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    It is crazy how many people forget that the Chiefs had a first-round bye the year before they drafted Mahomes. We should know, we beat them. Trading up is a thing people.
    The Chiefs have made the playoffs every year since 2015. Reality tells us that you do not need to tank to build teams.

I do not know why people keep saying this. Cope? Hope that the offense will be magically better once immobile old Ben retires? The best year on Canada's resume was with 2016 Pitt and Nathan Peterman is not exactly Lamar Jackson. He ran a 4.82 at the combine and averaged 4 yards per carry during the season and only 3 rushing TDs. This whole "Canada's scheme needs a QB that can run" thing is a myth.

You can count me in there, too. If you do not have a QB, you have nothing. Rudolph, Haskins, and Trubisky are nothing, yet people seriously discuss giving them a shot at being the franchise. Bengals went QB first O-line second and look at them now. Their o line still sucks (3rd most sacks given up) but a good QB is such a force multiplier that it overcomes that.

Also, imagine taking the opposite route: passing on QBs to build the rest of team first and then when you are ready to go for it you get a draft like the 2013 one dropped in your lap and the best qb to come out of it is arguably Mike Glennon. :getsick:

I am afraid we are pulling a Cleveland in 2004. We see promising QBs in the draft but we pass on Ben Roethlisberger for Kellen Winslow's kid and say "Let's see what we have in Rudolph/Haskins Jeff Garcia." We will be kicking ourselves for years.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There is one quarterback in this draft even close to Roethlisberger as a prospect heading into the 2004 draft and he will be long gone by the 20th pick. This draft class at quarterback is Kenny Pickett and a bunch of guys who will only be considered in the first round because quarterbacks are usually drafted too high. It isn't like 2004, when there were three legitimate high first-round quarterbacks.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Tomlin also told Zach Banner that he was his secret weapon...
    They said they had big plans for James Washington.....
    I guess you forgot about Tomlin "unleashing hell"
    on the rest of the league......
    Shall I go on????

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  8. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Who can forget. December 1st is a holiday around here!

9. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Peterman running a 4.8 isn't mobile? So Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes aren't mobile?

Maybe all Peterman had is decent mobility because he is terrible at everything else- which is the point some of us have been trying to convey.

Canada never recruited his QBs in college because he wasn't long enough at any program. Now he gets to choose with Tomlin. If you don't think the next QB has wheels I have a bridge to sell you.

In 2016 Pitt ran 41 times per game vs 25 passes... but you're saying... a running QB doesn't help Canada's running offense? Umm... OK...

10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Everyone knows what we're thinking on every play our offense runs.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Mahomes is a quarterback who can run, not a running quarterback. He doesn't need to leave the pocket to shred a defense.

That is what the Steelers need, a quarterback who has some mobility, not one who has to be a runner to be effective.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Then he’s guaranteed a roster spot or we eat the cost as dead money. Either way the lazy guy has no incentive to compete.

13. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016

"This whole "Canada's scheme needs a QB that can run" thing is a myth."

:huh:

14. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    My money says if Canada stays he will be allowed to pick his free agent QB to bring in and compete with Rudolph for the starting job.

I still say Dobbs will compete and win the #3 QB spot this year and Haskins will be the odd man out.

My Dobbs theory is out the Window if they tag Haskins

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    there ARE winner here - the rest of the AFC North!!!

16. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

THIS

which is sad, that we will waste another year of Heyward, to win 3-5 games, and draft a QB, on to THEN begin the rebuild, which SHOULD have begun in 2019 sometime.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Do you not get the distinction that I'm making. Roethlisberger was a quarterback with mobility, not a running quarterback.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    I guess we will see soon enough. But if Rudolph is run out there it will be a long season of disappointment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. chris2fer

Nov 7, 2016
    Where have you heard they won’t draft one? Ben is the binky that everyone has to take out of their mouth. Nothing is forever.

20. chris2fer

Nov 7, 2016
    news flash they have multiple picks they can even draft a lineman in the first round.

21. chris2fer

Nov 7, 2016
  22. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    There's no doubt the Steelers will be trying to draft a QB the next couple years. Matt Corral is the type of player they'll be looking at. You're not wrong. They wouldn't be looking at multiple QBs if that wasn't a serious option.

Not sure why people wouldn't agree with you. :shrug:

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Oh Geez. :puking 3:
    I watched every game He played. One read,and run Corral . On top of that injuries. I just guess all that will get better playing in the NFL. LoL

24. chris2fer

Nov 7, 2016
    You can’t utter that here it causes much fear and anxiety.

25. chris2fer

Nov 7, 2016
    I don’t think they draft him.

• Like Like x 1