1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Haskins criticized for being lazy

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Animus, Nov 17, 2021.

1. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I don't see the point in debating at length whether a reporter neither of us is very familiar with did or did not make an honest mistake regarding a report from ~three years ago. If you think it was an honest mistake and trust her integrity, that's fine; just as if Blast Furnace thinks she may have fabricated it (or committed an otherwise incomprehensible mistake) and does not.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Please don't put words in my mouth. Where did I write that I trusted her integrity? I'll give you a hint. I don't have a strong opinion either way regarding her integrity. I do take issue with posters presenting speculation as fact, which is what many of her detractors are doing.

I'm not the one who keeps bringing her up on thread after thread. Perhaps you should take this up with those who are doing so.

3. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    And this brings us to reason #2 on "why not deal with both": your comments/arguments become increasingly unreasonable the longer you stay on a topic:

1. I didn't put words in your mouth. I used the word if before a hypothetical. If you don't trust her integrity, that's fine, too. The point being you can have your own opinion, just as can anybody else.

2. Taking up issue with posters bringing her up in "thread after thread" is irrelevant for me in the context of our conversation where you keep specifically defending her while I was speaking to more general trends in media and journalism.

Both are examples of the common red herring trope you employ of shifting attention away from the point at hand by, for example, jumping to a false conclusion ("please don't put words in my mouth"), then shifting to an unrelated fact/idea/event ("I'm not the one who keeps bringing her up on thread after thread. Perhaps you should take this up with those who are doing so.") as means of distraction.

• Like Like x 2
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Great debate. I always can see both sides of debates.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thin, jfc :lolol:

You’re delusional. Please enlighten us with a scenario on how she could have possibly ****ed that up. Keep in mind she never said, oh, that was such and such that was pouting, she couldn’t because there was no one POUTING!

Swear to God I wish I could have some of these conversations face to face so I could shake the **** out of you for saying something so ludicrous.

Hey message board, when you catch your breath from laughing so hard, is this not the biggest self own ever?

Yeah, Scribe, let me help you out here, that’s literally you all the time.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

• Like Like x 3
  7. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    That's just Too Much Truth, Blast!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hmm if players are supporting him, maybe they would rally behind him in game?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Hey, if you want to misrepresent what you posted previously, go for it. You attempted to attribute a position to me. Now that I called you on it, you want to shift away from it. That is your issue.

My second point was absolutely relevant. It's not misdirection at all.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I am sorry you don't understand the difference between strongly stating an opinion and presenting an opinion as fact.

As far as posting ludicrous crap, tell us again how an All-Pro middle linebacker couldn't have fit into the Steelers' defense. :rolleyes:

If I could actually see the report from the time, I might be able to help you out there, but I never saw it. I'm only going on your memory here.

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think he would have a better time as compared to Mason when things break down and opposing teams really try to stress a young inexperienced OL. He seemed better in the preseason create from that chaos.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh I I understand, I understand you are full of it.

Sorry you don’t understand what hindsight means and try and stay on topic.

You don’t need the report, you can’t come up with a rational explanation because once again you are full of it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Is it anything like claiming that a well respected NFL General Manager like Kevin Colbert is lying to the media to cover up for a bad draft pick in the first round? I mean remember this is the guy who drafted Ziggy Hood, Frank the Tank, Thaddeus Gibson, Limas Sweed and so many others and the guy who gave Sean Mahan a contract and didn't oppose bringing in Mike Vick yet somehow he needed to lie about having a DB rated higher than an ILB. That's some seriously primetime investigating.

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm sure that it is an honest mistake by Thor and since misrepresenting what you posted really isn't a life or death matter should anyone really care? I mean it most likely just an honest mistake.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Sorry, but I do actually need to see what she reported and the evidence that proved the report wrong to be able to speculate about how she got it wrong. All I am working with now is your biased recollection of those events, which simply isn't enough information.

There are many rational explanations. Perhaps she saw a quick reaction, then looked elsewhere before he joined the celebration. That's the best I can do with an event I didn't witness. I vaguely remember hearing something about Brown pouting rather than celebrating with his team at some point. I remember rolling my eyes because it wasn't exactly news that Brown could be a bit of a selfish ass by then. I didn't care as long as he produced. It's such a non-story that I simply cannot imagine a reporter committing a fireable offense to push it. It's just not worth it.

That's what you don't get. If she actually did make up a story, she shouldn't just be ignored. She should have been fired.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    In the grand scheme of things, nobody should really care about anything posted here, but you seem quite pissed about a few things.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You don't think general managers and coaches lie? Are you really that naive?

Do you think I'm accusing the Steelers of intentionally taking the lower-rated player for some odd reason? The point was that it was a mistake to have Edmunds rated higher than Leonard. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    And how would such a thing be proven? What you don’t get is that people use polarizing methods to get ahead all the time.

Maybe she did make a honest mistake, mistake doing a lot of heavy lifting there, the thing that gets me is you act like what she did is a common mistake.

Same as with Haskins, she made up a narrative, caused Haskins to be the target of a claim she had no right to make. Even the use of “lousy passes” is suspect, why not “has thrown some passes off the mark during pregame” but no, she creates some whole negative narrative to drum up ****.

I’m not a fan of her reporting, I don’t know why you give a **** so much.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I understand your point right up and until it goes off the rails such as believing that when he says they had Edmunds ranked higher on their board (even granting your premise of being the wrong grade) that he is lying to cover up his mistake. Now no where in my response did I say Kevin Colbert doesn't lie or stretch the truth. I said it's your belief that he is lying to cover his ass. I have always maintained that why would he? In my response I pointed out some colossal blunders that have been made under his watch the biggest to me is thinking Sean Mahan was the next great Steelers center or at least an acceptable stopgap when he was neither. So again why would he lie about having Edmunds ranked higher than Leonard and more importantly why would he need to? You constantly circle back to being proven right about Leonard being the better pick which yes we can say now but we have zero proof the man lied and mountains of proof that sometimes he is just that stupid. What point about that do you not get.

20. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    It passes the time and you flatter yourself if you think anything gets me pissed on this board. I have mountains upon mountains of things way worse to use anger on or about. I mean for the first 25 years of my life I was told the world would end before I graduated high school so in those years between 18-25 that it didn't happen can you talk about a buzzkill. My kids can have a complete meltdown because a tag on their shirt rubs the wrong way and they have zero control over it. This isn't in the same pond as my issues. But you know I got time.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Do you really think that story was going to get her to a place she doesn't already occupy? Sorry, but no.

The story with Haskins is the comments by the coaches. Are you accusing her of making those up, too? There is no evidence to support such a claim on your part. That is solely based on your issues with her.

Yes, she crossed the line from reporting to analysis with "lousy passes," but sports reporters offer analysis along with facts all the time. Ed Bouchette has been doing it for decades. Why is it only a problem when she does it?

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Wait. You were still being told the world was going to end before you graduated high school when you were 25? :eek:

23. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    No I was told the world would end before I graduated high school so I wouldn't have to worry about the future. When I graduated in 92 and the world inexplicably kept going I was still living with my parents and following the rules until I was 25 and on my own. Then I grew tired of the endless " the end is near" rhetoric and got busy living. Still angry the world didn't end before I had to learn algebra or geometry but almost 5 decades of Scooby-Doo so what's to complain about.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    So, you are just going to gloss over the way you mangled your own point in that post. Got it.

You and I really aren't far apart in age, so we were probably hearing similar rhetoric when we were young. It seems as if you took certain parts of it way too much to heart.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Scribe, we aren’t talking about one incident in a vacuum. I’m not going to explain life to you and the different methods people use to get ahead but unless you have been living under a rock lately, controversially tactics have been on full display.

No, might be your story with Haskins, my original problem with it was the lousy passes and being on his phone creating a negative narrative for him and further proof of her being controversially. And yes, the coaches shouting thats just lazy seems suspect to me but I’m not even sure she reported that or if that was Andrew.

I’m not a big fan of Eds either but I’ve never seen him report on a scene that never happened. Do you go to bat for all reporters or is it just the women that you carry water for? Funny, I don’t seem to have any posts here critiquing Brook Pryor or any number of other female reporters. Aditi isn’t going to see these posts defending her and she won’t date you anyway.

• Like Like x 1