1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Haskins criticized for being lazy

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Animus, Nov 17, 2021.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Where did I say I was okay with it? You really haven't followed that discussion very well at all.

The actual point was that a group of posters here have an issue with that particular reporter and they are using one incident to justify it. Some are claiming that she made it up when they can't support that claim with evidence. I'm saying if you are going to dismiss everything written or said by a reporter based on one mistake, you might as well dismiss everything written or said by all reporters because you can find an instance when any of them get something wrong.

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Sorry you should probably check on that again. It wasn't until he was made inactive when got to the stadium and felt that Tomlin wasn't being honest with him that he began acting out. Evensome of his teammates admitted that he didn't handle it the right way but he didn't have a lot of options.

3. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    So in all Blasts post were he maintains that he doesn't trust her reporting for his reasons and it is so important that you defend your stance that ppl make honest mistakes continously even though your not ok with the over all job performance. I mean I've debated some really really stupid positions but don't think I've ever gone to that level for something I don't support. Well then yeah I really don't follow any of it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Let's take this back to honest mistake vs bad at your job. If any beat reporter any of them, let's say Mark Madden fires off a tweet that says Big Ben rapes kid on swing and then two hours later has to walk it back because the actual story was Big Ben rapped his knuckles while tightening a bolt on his kid swing. Is that an honest mistake, bad journalism, or just plain Jane incompetence. I mean for two hours that kinda of thing would destroy a person and oh well right because it was just sports journalism. Where are the standards and what should a person tolerate? Just because it's sports doesn't mean that screwing up doesn't have meaning.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't know why people defended bringing him in nor why they continue to be in denial of what is painfully obvious: the guy cannot play in the NFL

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, you really don't. At least you admit it.

No, I'm not excusing her mistake. That was never the point.

My point, which you seem to be ignoring, is that if you dig back a while, you can probably find a time any reporter got something wrong, so to insist that nothing one particular reporter writes or says shouldn't be trusted due to one error is ridiculous.

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Madden isn't a reporter. He's a shock jock.

Your example is ludicrous, intentionally so. Even you should know the situations are not comparable.

I never said screwing up has no meaning. I've tried to set you straight multiple times on that. It has gotten to the point that I can only assume you are now intentionally misrepresenting my point rather than simply not understanding it.

8. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Honest mistake isn't screwing up

• Like Like x 1
  9. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    My $ bets she's got an inside source on the team feeding her info. She was standing around and over heard team employee's talking about it? lol Yea right.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Just because you can make it work in your head that a reporter commented on a scene that NEVER happened that she VIEWED with her own eyes doesn’t mean she screwed up, it’s actually quite possible she lied.

How do you know?

I never claimed she did. I was merely stating if he gets released, it’s a pretty good indicator she was right about what the coaches said.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Thanks for the scoop. I didn't think the NFL was participating in cold calls to random people offering contracts, but it feels better now that you've confirmed it.

Aside from that, what does your response have to do with the vet minimum amounts that you wrong about again?

Your comments have been a real joy lately. Relax, Walmart is often used as the butt of customer service related jokes.

You know what else? Quality and freshness. People don't go there for that. Wait, I see you confirmed that as well. Awesome.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

oh the horror I got the $ amount wrong for vet minimum contracts. The sun will never rise again!
    on a serious note. Jesus tap dancing Christ you truly are obtuse. He can focus on his job and put in the work as a professional athlete and make millions of dollars or he can work at any number of crappy hourly wage jobs. It doesn’t have to be bagging groceries, but the two of you are stuck on that.Since the two you can’t seem to wrap your heads around the concept. I’m not saying he is going to get a multi million dollar a year contract. However, he can still make millions over the duration of his career as a back up. Is that crystal clear enough for you? Both of you? He can make amillions, retire at 30 something, and be set. Or he can sit around goofing off on his phone and work for peanuts for the rest of his life.

13. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I'm not advocating flagrant 'accusations', but in the current climate I think everyone has the responsibility (and certainly the right) to question the veracity of what they're being told, especially when from sources they're not familiar with or trust. That some would conclude she tried to create the Brown story for attention, rather than accept it was an honest mistake, is likely a result both of the bias toward scandalous reports that media outlets gravitate toward, and the perceived motivations of Aditi herself from past actions (which I can't speak to).

That coaches (or players, or agents) use the media to send a message doesn't make it right - in this instance, for the coaches (if that's what they actually were, she called them 'staff') to do so IMO shows poor leadership. If the result they want is simply for Haskins to stop playing with his cell phone and practice throwing a football and they can't get it, there's an even bigger problem.

This takes us back to irresponsible reporting. I realize today's media includes rapid fire mediums like Twitter and Facebook, but journalists can still decide which they use and how. It may pose a tough choice for those with ambition that want to get noticed, but reports like this one seem to be good for nothing but stirring up hot takes with poor/insufficient data, or creating a hot stew of questions it doesn't attempt to answer. Neither represents good journalism.

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Says the guy that can't see:

1. a good natured comment about how vet minimums work - prefaced with the phrase "you may have made a stronger point than you think" - and instead has to fire up the defenses and explain that making NFL pay is an incentive to get an NFL contract;

and

2. a lighthearted jab at Walmart customer service levels, specifically the cancellation of the bagger position, somehow takes this as an offense, so again fires up the defenses and demands to know who the **** shops at Walmart because their product is crap.

Scintillating.

• Like Like x 1
  15. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    In all seriousness this didn't have to be a two page long debate because there really is little point to the story. You have a vision of the NFL in that you should be plenty incentivized by the potential earnings and job security being enough to motivate most people to perform at least up to an NFL standard. Which again for most people that would be enough. Just not the case with Haskins. He has thrown away some of those opportunities and it appears that he doesn't care about the ones he has been given now. The fact that he has garnered zero interest from around the league right before the trade deadline when starting quality QB's were in short supply and even backups were getting a look should speak volumes to his options. It is very possible had not Coach Tomlin had an itch about him that he would at the very least been trying the CFL for work. My point in all of this and I havent seen anything to make me change it is that if he is putting in less than 100% and still on the team going beyond that effort doesn't seem necessary to him. Again very possible if Dobbs wasn't hurt that Haskins may be on the PS and never see a hat on game day or maybe the light clicks on and he is the second coming of Randall Cunningham.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You have an interesting definition of screwing up. An honest mistake is still a mistake.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There is little reason to believe she lied. Why lie about a possible example of Brown being a self-absorbed ass. Didn't we already know that about him by then?

You seem just fine claiming that you know she made it up, so I'll play by your rules for a while.

I thought you were implying that if he wasn't released, you would claim the story was bogus. If that wasn't your aim, my bad.

• Like Like x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I think the Doctor , or Myself is fixing 2 take an A$$ whooping. Is what I think.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I would have no problem with someone saying that we should question everything we are told. That makes sense. I have an issue with saying everything a particular reporter writes or says must be called into question due to one mistake.

Sorry, but there is no evidence that she made it up rather than simply making a mistake.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m claiming it’s hard to come up with a reasonable explanation for a screw up so far removed from the truth that it’s hard to believe she didn’t lie about it.

No, if Haskins isn’t released it proves nothing, only if he is released.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    You keep circling back to this like I'm speaking to specific situations with specific reporters. It can get to that, but the frustration should be with the industry at large that promotes questionable ethics in trade for incendiary hot takes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    In my line of work an honest simple mistake like forgetting to check your heel straps to make sure your grounded properly can mean that E.S.D. has rendered a component into walking wounded. This means it can fail at anytime and since the electronic components go into everything from car relays to biomonitors in hospitals to SpaceX rockets and guidance computers for aircraft and military weapons systems to elevator systems in buildings. So it is something I just don't like seeing. But that's me. I don't particularly want to think about the potential for chaos and death if I'm lazy at work one day.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Why not deal with both?

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is far to thin to keep presenting your opinion that she made it up as if it was fact, especially when it makes so little sense for her to have done it.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    In case you haven't noticed, this particular instance was not a matter of life or death.