1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Haskins criticized for being lazy

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Animus, Nov 17, 2021.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Sorry, but no, there is no evidence that she made anything up. There is at least some evidence that your issue is with the female reporter. (Broad? Really?)

2. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Where in the report did she claim he was going to be released? Also, maybe this wakes him up. There are multiple scenarios in which the report would be true and he wouldn't be released.

3. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    It's also possible that coaches have an issue with Haskins, because of his history, and are hypersensitive to everything he does.

We haven't heads a peep of Haskins since that Vegas incident (July), so clearly something is working.

We want to know about his ability. Is he lazy, or just too causal during warm up?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    As someone who gets all the WFT games, this is not surprising at all.

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It's why(and You can find it in the Draft threads) I said Mac Jones was the 1st Qb taken out of Alabama that would actually Be pretty Good in a long time. No He Didn't Have the biggest arm, or speed, but He actually reads the field, and processed pretty Quickly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I guess only reporters can say that....If it's an average Joe out on the street...That's $hit is made up. LoL.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This post smacks of making things up.

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Reporters get things wrong on occasion. I’m sorry some people don’t understand that doesn’t mean it was made up.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Whether or not Kinkhabwala made up the Brown story, we're not living in the best of times for nurturing fact-based, neutral representation in journalism. This has led to a signifiant drop in consumer trust across nearly every news medium. That's not to say there aren't journalists who want to be involved in ethical, balanced reporting, but media outlets have increasingly catered to a perceived or corporate dogma popular to their audience, especially over the last 25 years. Shock jocks, controversial topics, and drama get viewers, clicks, and ratings. So, for a journalist so inclined to do it, playing to these elements can offer greater opportunity for recognition and advancement.

Are these Kinkhabwala's driving motivations? No idea. I don't follow her, so the sample size of her work is too small. But in what I have seen, her style often invokes supposition and provocation, while leaving obvious follow up questions unanswered - e.g., why "multiple members of the Steelers staff" would openly deride a QB's pre-game prep around a reporter instead of correcting it. KMM's explanations are plausible enough, but also present serious leadership concerns. That doesn't make it untrue, but the loose ends make it a lazy, irresponsible take.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016

You aren't wrong about the overall climate with respect to journalism, but that doesn't justify some of the unsupported accusations we are seeing made against specific journalists.

Honestly, I don't know her full body of work, either. I just know we have posters here claiming she made something up when the evidence does not support that claim. (Nobody is disputing that she got something wrong, but that is not the same thing.)

Who said those members of the Steelers' staff weren't also trying to correct the issue, but not getting the results that they wanted? You don't think coaches use the media to send a message?

• Like Like x 1
  11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

So he can get another contract. I guess you’re one of those that’s content.

12. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

If he doesn’t work then he doesn’t get those contracts. That’s known as incentive.

Yes. There are still grocery baggers at Publix and Kroger. as for Walmart shopping. Who the **** shops at Walmart? Terrible quality across the board. It might be cheaper, but it’s crap.

13. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Off topic, but I'm not sold on Mac Jones. I really haven't watched him closely this season but thought it was a head scratcher that he got drafted so high. I thought he was a system guy at AL and he didn't show well prior to his Sr year at AL. He seemed to play scared a lot and threw too many 50/50 balls where he got bailed out by good WRs - especially deep. He does seem like a smart guy who studies and is quick at reading defenses. But he doesn't have the arm strength and isn't very athletic. Peyton was the best at this and was able to overcome declining physical abilities because he was so smart and knew what the D players were going to do before they did. Time will tell if he is that smart but highly unlikely.

• Like Like x 2
  14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It's entirely possible but I have heard/read that everyone makes mistakes so it's all good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm not sure I take your meaning. This coaching staff has an established pattern of behavior that says no matter how great a week of practice you put in and how much film you have that would force us to start you we will do what we feel is right and you'll be a healthy scratch on Sunday.

So again what is the motivation in that type of situation? Haskins could be putting in the work the same way Harris does where people are telling him to go home, he could be the best teammate in the building and live the life of a monk and still never see the field in 5 months.

It doesn't matter how hard he has worked to change the perceived image of his career the thing teams will remember is his TD to interception ratio and his epic collapses in Washington. There have been numerous QB injuries this season and if he had changed his image and was worth it teams would have been calling or he and his agent asking to be released neither is happening currently.

If none of that has motivated him I'm not sure what will.

16. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

You have absolutely no idea how great a week of practice anyone had nor how much film work they’ve done. Even if(if) if gets reported a player had a great week of practice it doesn’t mean they’re better than the player above them. Nor does it mean they did more than the player above them.
    Hey coach I worked really hard this week can I start? That’s not how it works. You appear to have watched Rudy one too many times.

17. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    So you are saying that it didn't happen with James Harrison and all that reporting was me watching Rudy to many times

• Like Like x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Have 2 disagree. I believe that's totally His game...Same as a P. Manning . Manning wasn't gifted physically either. Hell his brother Eli had a way stronger arm.
    That Type of stuff is the 1st thing I look for in a Qb...Process speed, and Like I said before...I don't really think it's intellectual as much as it's just The difference of how a brain works in people. I have seen some fighters that's Processing Speed was amazing...Yet they were not intelligent. I have also seen very intelligent, and physically gifted athletes that just don't Process what they see very fast in a real setting.
    Dobbs comes 2 mind ....Physically gifted ...High IQ....Can read anything on a board, and pad ...but in real time slow 2 Process.

19. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

wtf does Harrison have to do with Haskins having incentive?

20. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Everything I described to you in which you said I know nothing about what happens in practice or in the facility and where you said I watched Rudy too many times happened in Harrison's final season and was well documented. He had great weeks in practice, his film was already good and quite frankly he was a better option to a still very raw Dupree and he would get to the stadium on Sunday to be told he was inactive for the game. So that is pretty clear that even when you have a great attitude and are the better player and have incentive that you still might not get on the field. It's hard to stay incentivized for 7 months when you know that there isn't anything on the other side of it.

Haskins has made some money in Washington but still had a rep for being lazy or stupid. It led to his release and let's face it Washington has no problem paying a lot of money to average players. He got a new lease on his career with Pittsburgh and said all the right things and did all the right things. However he has had OTA's, training camp, preseason and now 9 weeks to try and jump up on the depth chart and it hasn't happened. For a QB from a prestigious college that has to be humbling. How do you stay motivated when you don't see it working?

For what it's worth I said during the preseason that Haskins was better creating from chaos and Rudolph did exactly as he is told. I think Haskins would have had a better day than Rudolph last Sunday but will probably not get the chance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Harrison didn’t play because he wasn’t practicing, sleeping in meetings, or didn’t show up to them at all. That’s what got reported and y’all cried fake news fake news. So he got cut as it should have been.

22. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    That was at the end of it. He was practicing he was a model Steeler up and until they started making him inactive and then he did all the things he did to get released.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, the point that you are referring to clearly makes the distinction between making an honest mistake and making things up.

24. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Is this just a journalism thing or are you ok with making mistakes in all aspects of life? I mean if you go in for a routine check up and they shove a 2 foot tube up your rectum are you ok with that? I mean people make honest mistakes right?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  25. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Sorry pal, but you’re wrong. His actions directly led to him being inactive and subsequently released. Harrison made his own bed.