1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Has Tomlin been muzzled or self-muting

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by LoneGranger, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    He's busy trying to reinvent himself as a leader, disciplinarian, and head coach.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You're clueless aren't you? Coaches are at the NFL owner's meeting, that's why they're talking right now :facepalm:.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Epic fail and pathetic attempt at gloating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He has been knocked down a few pegs by current and former players and management.

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Fail

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
  8. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Muzzled? I dunno, pretty sure it's the offseason so maybe he's been on vacation...... but I saw a lot of quote come through last night on twitter. I assume he was talking at the owners meeting or something. I was fine with pretty much everything I saw quoted.

9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    What is Tomlin?

There are those who hate Tomlin, always have and always will.

There are those who have seen enough and know that it's time to move.

There are those who believe that it was all just AB and LB.

There are those who simply don't want to talk about anything bad so they say wait and see.

I fall into the second category because I didn't want him fired three years ago, I just wanted the Rooney's to put an end to his lack of discipline and sloppy team management, but now I think it's gone too far.

But, what is he? What are his strengths and weaknesses? How much is he to blame for the chaos and drama? Is he a pawn in an organization which is going to be filled with chaos with or without him? Is he the problem but safe anyway based on the Steelers history of not firing coaches?

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Why should he have to say anything. Bell and Brown are showing their true colors and making themselves look stupid. I want MT focused on making this team a winner and not on the past divas. MT did say he wants volunteers instead of hostages. That says it all in tomlin speak.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Steelsax

Steelsax Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    You may not like his coaching style but to say Tomlin can't coach is just idiotic!

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I find one of the problems with answers to this question is that it seems shaped very much by how one responds to the list you posted.

There was an ex-player who worked around the team a lot - have completely forgotten his name - who said in his book that Tomlin had a keen eye for X's and 0's, and compared him to Noll. But this was shouted down by those who have never liked Tomlin.

There was Terry Bradshaw, who has not been around the team a lot, commenting that Tomlin was a cheerleader. And this was applauded by those who have never liked Tomlin, but others pointed out that Bradshaw doesn't know what goes on in training and prepping.

From the comments from players and ex-players, I get the sense that Tomlin is not a one-size-fits-all coach, and uses a number of different approaches to try and get the best out of his team. That doesn't translate well into a limited mould like 'disciplinarian' or 'tactician' or 'useless' (lol), in terms of what kind of coach he is. As I was searching for the former player's name, I came across this which, while quite old, seems to summarise what players say about his strengths:

“Last year coach Tomlin came in and really set the laws down,” wide receiver Hines Ward said. “A lot of the guys were set in coach Cowher’s ways. He was very strict on his rules. Now, he has a year under his belt to let guys know that this is his team and this is how he wants things run around here. He understands what players need to be pushed, what players need to take time off to be fresh.”
    “He’s very consistent. He’s a great coach,” cornerback Deshea Townsend said of Tomlin. “He allows his players to play, but he does what it takes to get us ready. That’s all you can ask from a coach, to mean what he says, and he’s that type of coach.”

https://www.heraldnet.com/sports/steelers-tomlin-blends-noll-cowher-qualities/

Obviously, if the spirit of his approach is about getting people ready, then the fact that the team looks unprepared for a lot of games suggests that this isn't always successful. The question then is the extent to which Tomlin adapts his approach - early on his career he adjusted a fair amount, from what players say. But whether he's now got stuck in a certain way of doing things is harder to say.

(Also found this, as a kind of footnote to your third question about chaos:

One of the great misconceptions in Pittsburgh sports history is that former Steelers coach Bill Cowher ruled with an iron fist. Nothing could be further from the truth. A case could be made that Cowher was a soft touch with his players. Former Steelers running back Jerome Bettis made just such a case when he talked about wide receiver Plaxico Burress leaving the team to go play for the New York Giants and their very real tough-guy coach, Tom Coughlin.
    "I know [Burress] is not a stickler for the rules and Coughlin is all about rules ... Coach Cowher allowed us a lot of flexibility. He never fined us for anything. You came late, you never got fined. You never got reprimanded for anything."

https://www.questia.com/newspaper/1P2-36619502/tomlin-not-to-blame-for-team-s-lack-of-discipline )

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think it was thorn058 who said that Tomlin treats the players like men, this could be the entire basis of the problem. For the most part, NFL players are not men. They are drugged up specimens of human strength and agility who have been passed through life and thus are very limited in their understanding of the real world, are woefully uneducated, and have the sense of right vs wrong of a ten year old. Treating people like that as men is a recipe for disaster.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Not sure what needs to be said in the off season and besides, when he speaks, he really doesn't say a lot anyway. The teams big problem is either Tomlin doesn't know how to prepare the team or his assistants don't. Or both. Is that bad coaching? My guess would be most people wound say yes. Still, our record against sub .500 teams baffles the best of fans and with our talent where should the accountability fall to? Don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure this out. Tomlin doesn't need to add to the crap floating around on our two former idiots anyway since the media is sure to do that whether real or made up.

15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    People are funny.

The same coach was 13-3 the previous year and was 9-6-1 last year. He's one of the most winning coaches during his tenure as head coach.

And he gets absolutely zero credit but gets all the blame.

Argue away lol.

• Like Like x 3
  16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    eh I have come to learn to not compare to the Patriots and we are a pretty successful team. So there is that

17. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I think I saw a guy that looked like Bill Belichick with a mustache outside of the latrobe field flying little airplanes.

But it was probably nothing ;)

18. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    People certainly are funny.

Colon Capturedick is forth all time in TD to int. ratio behind only Rogers, Wilson, and Brady so he is clearly the forth best QB ever! There is no argument, if you are satisfied with what with Tomlin has done, then you should be happy cause he will be back for more:cool:

19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    '

In the world of pick and choose what stats you want to shine to prove an invalid point sure.

fyi Colin Kaepernick has a career NFL regular season record of 28-30

Mike Tomlin has not been below 500 in the 12 years he's been the head coach of the Steelers

So yeah try again

• Like Like x 1
  20. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    How do you quantify what he has squandered away?

21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    You're absolutely right about finding stats to support anything you want to believe. I'm not challenging you, I'm asking you man to man if you are satisfied with what Tomlin has done with what he has had?

Case in point:

Marvin Lewis had a 7 year stretch from 09 thru 15 where he was 66-45-1 with some of the more talented teams in the NFL and it is widely accepted that he failed to produce despite winning a lot of games. In the last 7 years Tomlin's record is 70-41-1 with far more talent. A total of 4 games over a 7 year span separate those two records.

I think Tomlin may have gone to the Marvin Lewis school of coaching!

22. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    But what about "Nice guys finish last"?

Belicheat isn`t much of a human being, but is considered best there is.

I would rather win than know our guys love their coach.

23. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I met Belichick once, like talking to a rattlesnake, hell of a coach!

Found this fella up in the ANF near Marienville. About 5 feet long and 7 inches in diameter.

upload_2019-3-26_14-36-52.png

• Like Like x 1
  24. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    You presume all is his fault. Was that Tomlin or Ju Ju that fumbled the last game? This has been gone over multiple times. If you'd like to educate yourself, feel free to utilize the search function.

25. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The reality is, Tomlin is not as poor as it has become popular to portray him as. It is a very easy solution to the simple minds to simply blame the head coach.

Of course while he gets all the blame for last year, where is the credit for the year before?

The facts show that Tomlin is one of the most winning coaches outside of Belichick in the past 12 years.

Of course no one in the history of the NFL matches up to the success of Belichick.. that's what cheating can do for ya...

kiddding... half