1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Has to be the end of the Pickett Era

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Redsteel, Nov 19, 2023.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    As a pro athlete, it is how you respond to adversity... I played professional sports for 4.5 years and I know how he feels. I've walked off events where I played like trash and felt the EXACT same way Pickett feels now. He understands the magnitude of how he is playing, and he also understands that with each poor performance his dream of being a starting NFL QB is slowly slipping through his fingers. I feel for the kid, I really do. I've walked those same shoes and COMPLETELY understand how he feels, the emotions, what is going through his brain, etc...

The fire isn't gone, he's just feeling the weight of poor performance. The best thing he can do is put the blinders on, push through it, and trust the hard work he has put in over the years. No reason to be conservative now. Lay it all on the table. Go earn your dream, don't just try to hang onto it.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Ever stop and wonder if the players and performance are below average it might be a tad bit of his responsibility?

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    It's mostly blind luck. His defense has bailed him out for over a year now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Exactly. No matter who has been our QB they all play the same way…. Very mechanical, check downs. Screens or bubble oases. All high percentage passes. Tomlin is absolutely ruining these guys. He is so fearful of losing the turnover battle he is crippling his QB’s and his offense. I don’t even know if Pickett can recover now, he is so she’ll schooled. I feel like he is damaged goods. He needs to go to a team with a QB whisperer to rejuvenate. We aren’t that team.

Tomlin has proven he is just not good at developing QB’s. The only QB’s he trusts is established ones and he was spoiled because he came into all of this with a franchise QB in his prime.

he never had to deal with this before.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    I would hate this but if the by product is they can Tomlin, Canada, Austin and realize KP isn't the guy that would be a win. KP lost me today. We need a Center and right tackle, QB and another top notch DB. Group all of that with a new Head Coach, OC and DC and lets begin a new era. At minimum new coaches and see if the new coach and OC want KP or at least make him win the competition in camp!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Maybe this is the case. Idk. Hard to argue with the points you made.

7. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    This is a microcosm of why this guy has to go. I'm not saying he is the reason for Pickett's erratic play, but he seems to call plays based more on whim than situation. Perfect opportunity to take a 13-10 lead and it was squandered with questionable play calling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Yeah, Tomlin is an enigma. Never has a coach done so much with so little, and so little with so much (the "Killer B's)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

This...at this point he's slipping into career backup territory...if he's lucky. It can't get much worse. Might as well go out with no bullets left.

10. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    The point was they were running the ball well enough to have a shot at a first down which was all it would have taken to get into FG range. You really have some sort of strange pathological need to defend every decision this coaching staff makes. You have criticized Pickett as long if not longer than most. So how do you come to the conclusion that putting the ball in his hands in that situation was a better option than going under center and handing the ball to Warren three times? I'll give you this, you are consistent.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Well...at least I got my pick right this week. My score prediction was a little off....but who cares at this point. :shrug:

12. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I used to be a staunch Tomlin supporter. But his indebtedness in handling young QB’s and in fact making them play worse is pretty evident.

He came into this league very fortunate to have an established QB in place. We saw Tomlins true colors with young QB’s whenBen went down. Conservative offense, high percentage passes and don’t turn the ball over. You’re basically saying to the QB we don’t trust you just don’t go out there and mess it up. Let the defense win the game. Talk about living in your fears. That is a terrible formula. It really boosts the QB’s confidence, not.

the only way Tomlin will ever truly have a winning team again is to get a veteran QB. He will ruin rookies. No way CJ Stroud thrives under Tomlin or Canada.

the other thing is you look at what a hood OC can do for a young QB. Look at Beinemy and the Commanders. No way we bring in a high pedigree OC.

13. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    And Ben bailed him out for 14 years

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    What Era??? It’s the End before there’s was a Beginning.
    We used to pray for a 100 yrd game, running NOT PASSING!
    :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cranny

Cranny Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2017
    Ben is the main reason Tomlin has never had a losing season, cuz Ben would pull games out of his ass in the 4th q

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. MattCanada

MattCanada Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2022
    ya good idea maybe he should scramble more and throw the ball longer than 2.5 yards down field , take some shots long

17. MattCanada

MattCanada Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2022
    I wonder if Andy Reid could of developed Kenny Pickett

18. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Ding Ding Ding! It isn't even close!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    We are doomed.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Wolfepack88

Oct 16, 2022
    How many of us cringed today at the revert to the bail out circle to the left right into the sack!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Should we throw in the towel and tank the season for Caleb Williams or the Maye kid who just lost?

Caleb Williams sucks, by the way. Overrated as hell.

22. Wolfepack88

Oct 16, 2022
    I think him and Zach are gunning for the last place in the Football pool that gets some money. Seriously does anyone really remember a time we were this bad on offense ever?? Even magnum PI years we did move the ball. I was watching today's game along with Ben's podcast and Baghdad Ben was in full mode and I really wanted to cut into his Podcast and say Ben stop stop, you see what we see, you don't have Steelers Stock Options that you are trying to keep from becoming worthless so be honest.

23. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    So what else is new? He's been doing that all year

24. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Got admit, hard to watch that pass offense upload_2023-11-19_17-19-1.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  25. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    Yeah, wouldn't surprise me if he's a total bust with that prima donna attitude he has

Last edited: Nov 20, 2023