1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Has the D lost a step?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    For years the Steelers D has been designed around pressuring the quarterback, and I think this "protected" our weak DBs, and forced turnovers. So many times this year our pressure seems to get there just a fraction of a second too late. It seems just as the QBs are releasing the ball, our rush gets there. This could be an increased awareness and quickness on the part of the QBs, but it could also be a fraction of a second slowing down of our pressure. This could somewhat explain the lack of interceptions, too. Just a slight step too slow on the part of everyone. Maybe the defense is getting old, and the design of this defense may not age well.

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree completely with you that the pressure just isn't as good as before. QBs aren't terrified of our linebackers anymore. We could blame the rule changes, maybe, and earlier in the season I thought the lock-out had a lot to do with hurting the more physical teams. But either way, we do seem to have lost a step.

That said, we were number 1 in pass defense (not sure if we still are), and we seemed to be getting on a roll after a stuttering start. It seemed to me that the D changed its gameplan for NE and it worked, but whatever they dialled up for Baltimore just didn't come off as well. Maybe the blitzes were coming from the wrong places, or maybe there was too much emphasis on the blitz in general.

3. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    No I don't think so...I think woodley being out had a lot to do with it

4. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm not sure how an entire defense can "lose a step". I think some players are aging and slowing down while some are young and improving.

5. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I do think they have lost a step. Other teams have linemen, TE, RBs etc trying to protect their QBs too.
    The Steelers are currently #3 in tatal D (less than a yard behind the Ravens and about 6 yard behind the Texans (their schedule is against some of the weakest offensive teams), #3 vs. the pass, and #6 vs. the run. Rules are against having the dominating defenses. Woodley being back will help tremendously.

Flacco got very lucky a few times. The one time he released it right as the hit was coming and Lewis had perfect coverage but the ball ended up being short allowing the receiver to get it -- it was simply lucky. Ben got lucky on 2 tips that Cotchery caught as well.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    of course they have at alot of key positions. while yes they have some younger players, there are not enough of them in key spots doing much damage. worilds, timmons, ziggy,lewis,sylvester and mundy need to start making plays. where they heck is allen? does he ever play? will allen i'm talking about. he's a vet cover safety. is he hurt again or something? :flag: :yeehaw: :herewego: :hello: :cool:

7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Allen gets in there, but for some reason Mundy sees the field much more??

I just think the way these new rule changes are going, and evolution of the league, its getting harder and harder for Lebeau scheme be successful. Ravens are built to not even need to blitz. Their pass rush can be handled by the front 4.

The Steelers OLB pass rush is the only thing that works right now for them. The MLB blitzes aren't getting there and neither are any DB blitzes.

8. black hat

black hat Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :this!:
    The outside linebackers brought pressure all night long. Unfortunately, Flacco was able to step up in the pocket time after time. We don't seem able to bring much pressure up the gut.

9. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    this is something Ben needs to do more often too, instead of backing up into the blocking

10. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    :this!:
    The outside linebackers brought pressure all night long. Unfortunately, Flacco was able to step up in the pocket time after time. We don't seem able to bring much pressure up the gut.[/quote:xug7qb0x]
    i didn't see worilds doing a lot of pressure