1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Has it occured to anyone that

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BobbyBiz, Jan 9, 2012.

1. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    maybe Tim Tebow played an outstanding game and deserves some credit?

All that I'm reading is that the loss is Ikes fault, LeBeaus fault, Tomlins fault, or Arians fault (imagine that). That this team is over rated and sucks and it's record is the result of an easy schedule (wrong). But not ONCE have I seen credit given to the Broncos and Tebow.

The book on Tebow is that he can't throw (44% comp %) and the way to stop him is to take away his ability to run and make him beat you with his arm. It worked against Roethlisberger in 04 (and BB is a genius for it) and that was precisely LeBeaus game plan, but Tebow actually did beat them with his arm.

How else was Lebeau supposed to game plan it? Had he let the safeties play back and allow Tebow to do his thing, you all would be here today saying the same things about this over rated D and LeBeau.

Why is it with Steeler fans that they never lose because the other team played better?

How about just gving credit where it is due for once?

2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    We WERE outplayed. And we were outplayed because we were woefully unprepared. We made ZERO adjustments once it was obvious that whatever plan we had in place wasn't working.

10 completions. 10. for 316 yards. Half of those on "chuck it up and pray" passes. And he had time to say a novena in the pocket, if only he was Catholic.

Denver's D did a great job until their DC called off the dogs. There's your credit. Their offense? They fooled us. And we failed to adapt.

3. Wreck

Wreck Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tim plays a good game. Period. He made us look like fools.

As fans, we are going to address WHY we looked like fools, and that is because of all the names everyone is listing.

Tomlin doesn't make changes. One more shot of him on the sideline with his big eyes staring at the grass, chewing gum, with his hands in his pockets and his head-set talkie piece turned up in the air and I was about to turn off my first steelers game in history and not watch the rest.

Dick L was overly persistant in believing that Tebow was a joke, and that by placing 9+ men in the box to scare him would make him crack. He was hoping for a morning headline of "Steel Curtain Shakes Tebow." That was obviously not going to happen by the middle of the 2nd quarter, and that was plenty of time to turn the team around at half-time.

The players themselves were confused. Troy was so overwhelmed in trying to make up for the confusion that even he was caught trying to be everywhere at once almost the entire game. It basically removed him from being effective.

Harrison and Woodly got mugged the entire game, but that is nothing new, and even when they did get open, they stopped in their tracks because they had no idea was this species called Tebow was going to do. Out run me? Pass? Harrison had to be wondering "Can I run at and smash this guy or will he go from RB to QB last second or back from QB to RB." I saw once the plays developed over 5 seconds, the rushers would stop rushing him and start to drop back as well thinking that the pass was going to happen. Then Tebow would just run for 20, while laughing.

Arians is just an idiot. It's one thing to get flustered and trying to make changes in a loud stadium, but to use timeouts and get delay of games because you just can't control your offense is pathetic, and we've seen it at least 6 times this season. Ridiculous.

I think we've seen the best of the team as it was. We got 2 rings out of them. I don't even think rebuilding the O-Line would really help because we have a QB that needs to be moving and scrambling to make his plays. That's his style. I think Ben enjoys passing on the run, it's when he's most accurate, and his receivers actually keen in on the pass when they see him scramble. It helps them vision him and they react to his movement.

Oh well, I can't diagnose this team anymore. I mean, obviously, the Bronco's could, but I can't.

4. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011

Oh give me a BREAK!

How many times do I and other posters have to show you the numbers to prove that in many cases it's not THEM it's US!!!!

Do your homework. Look up Tebow's stat lines this season. The ask yourself how this QB suddenly became a great QB. He didn't.

Watch what he does next week.

5. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I give Tebow his props. He said he was going to be more aggressive, and he was, and it worked.

I was giving him props, last night, at the bar my friends and I visited to watch the game. Non-Steelers and Non-Broncos fans who were there still wouldn't give Tebow any credit.

Has it occurred to anyone that we expect too much out of QBs who are just starting out? Like the OP said... Ben wasn't the greatest when he started, but he became great, over time. The same may be true of Tebow.

Also, Broncos OC did a good job mixing it up. They were running options mixed with straight-up three step drops in which Tebow still had the ability to break out and run from.

Offense and Defense failed, last night. But moreso, it was the Defense. They let about 3 or 4 touchdowns go, last night. That's unlike them. Because we know the Offense can't match that.

6. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    It is? The writing's been on the wall. This was not as good a defense as we'd believe--and injuries made it worse.

7. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Prior STATS don't mean squat. Fact is Tebow made a few absolutely perfect passes last night, ones nobody has every seen him make before. He hit those receivers in perfect stride on long throws, even with tight coverage. He just "pulled the trigger" and it worked. It was uncanny and lucky, but that is what happened. He made those plays, plain and simple.

8. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Tebow's throws were like muffed punts.
    No excuse for yesterdays poor D. They failed.

9. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We always make the mediocre QB's look like All-Pros.....We have a defensive issue that needs to be addressed. Period.

10. black&gold1969

black&gold1969 Active Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Tebow took exactly what we gave him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not taking anything at all away from the Broncos, but NO adjustments on defense(as usual). REALLY. Put some pressure on him. MAKE THEM PLAY STEELER FOOTBALL. We didn't do that. Clark would have leveled Tebow on at least 2 ocassions, making him reluctant to run in the middle. HORRIBLY coached game. Injuries killed us also. Give me a healthy Ben. That would have been a different game from the beginning.

11. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    LOL! I was thinking that during the game. I've never seen so many wounded ducks reach their target. It was absolutely insane and you almost have to wonder if there really wasn't some devine intervention happening :hehehe:

12. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

I agree with you...Do we even KNOW HOW to make adjustments- on either side of the ball???

13. CaBurghfan

CaBurghfan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

Actually, I think you're both wrong there. The wounded ducks didn't really get caught. If you look at the 10 completions, at least half were the HUGE plays, they were all thrown perfectly. Spot on, good tight throws.

Sure, he had some wounded ducks get up there, but when he needed to, he made the throws. Besides, wounded ducks or not, Ike got burned multiple times.

14. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The Broncos did play a good game and out coached us. Yes it may have been a different story had everyone been healthy but we had to deal with what we had given to us and it was not enough. We seem to look at the Steelers thru rose colored glasses and it is time for a reality check from the top down. It is time for a change in Pittsburgh and I hope that happens in the off season because if it doesn't we can exspect the same thing next year and read the same of threads about firing this guy and that guy, the refs were bad, should have could have, blah,blah,blah.... Wake up Rooneys and do what you have to because it is your money and you alone can make the changes that need to be made. If you do not take some kind of action you will be disappointing the whole Steeler nation which is nation wide.

15. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Poor defensive execution, plain and simple. While giving Tebow his due credit, not trying to bash too much..but. He has a very slow, delivery and telegraphs pretty much every throw he makes. Why our defenders were not able to adjust to that and make more plays on him is beyond me. That's something I expected #43 to key on all day but never saw happen. I think they sold out so much on the option that they just assumed they guy couldn't make fundamental throws downfield with no pressure - and that burned them, and the stats show it.

And I will rag on Ike - awful game, just awful.

16. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think one tha really caught my attention was a completion on a short out route that got them a key 1st down in the 4th qtr. The ball was on target and based on the replay it was almost traveling end over end. Add that to the totally unorthodoxed way he throws the ball (look worse than Lefty) in general and you wonder how any of those balls got to their targets.

17. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree. Those passes in the 2nd quarter were right on the money, not much room for error. I noticed in the after game press conferences several players commented that in the film they watched, he never made those passes - they were counting on him to NOT be a good passer, and he was good enough. He stepped up - we didn't.