1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Harrison Angry

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mgsmooth, Dec 8, 2017.

1. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Come on Glenn you love it :lolol:

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You're just another one of the Trolls.
    Nonstop Tomlin bashing.

3. SteelHaven

Sep 24, 2012
    Yeah but this Troll can dance.

[​IMG]

I guess I didn't make your anti speed dial list yet:lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    The linked article doesn’t have any direct quotes, and is based on another article behind a paywall.

Also says Harrison acknowledges how well the young guys have been playing.

Probably best to see what he actually said, rather than speculating on coaching etc. too early.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Harrison is sitting because he doesn't do what the coaches want from their outside linebackers. They want guys who can drop in coverage as well as they rush the passer. Agree or disagree all you like, but Watt, Dupree and even Chickillo all do that better than Harrison.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Glenn can dance too!

glenncarlton.gif

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. SteelHaven

Sep 24, 2012
    That ***** precious Nice work! But was that before or after he became Mr Serious?

Edit: Glenn -the college days!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  8. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    When Harrison is playing the opposing offense knows where the rush is coming from. When Watt is in, they never know if he's pass rushing or dropping back into coverage. Deebo had been a great player for us, but he's now a one trick pony. I gotta agree with Tomlin and Porter going with diversity. It allows is to disguise what we're doing on any given play.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I wouldn’t take Watt off of the field, but Harrison spelling Dupree wouldn’t be a bad idea in certain situations for a handful of snaps per game. In my view he was the number 1 reason that the Chiefs’ offense was largely stonewalled at the end of our game in KC. He can do it again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It's always fun to lead the trolls right where I want them to go.

11. BuckeyeBucco

BuckeyeBucco Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They need ANY pressure on Brady. The key is to move him off his spot. If that comes from the edge rather than the interior, so be it. With Shazier out, it is time to fire up James.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

This is so true a great article from Labriola:

Q. In terms of what your defense asks of the outside linebackers, has their role evolved away from being primarily pass-rushers into guys who are asked to do more things in coverage?

A. Without question. And it’s evolved within the last decade, since I’ve been here. Outside linebacker was a rush-man’s position in the early part of my tenure. Guys like LaMarr Woodley and James Harrison[​IMG] were defensive-end-like. They rushed the vast majority of the time. With the evolution of spread football, read-option football, RPOs as the college guys call it – run-pass options – and all the empty backfield stuff, it has become a hybrid position, where they’re asked to do a lot of things: rush, drop in zone, play man-to-man. I just think it’s part of the evolution of football, and I think (outside linebackers) are the most significant components to the adjustments that defenses have made.

That’s why 10 years ago, there were maybe three or four 3-4 teams in the NFL, and that’s why probably half the teams in the NFL now are 3-4 teams. You better have that flexibility in terms of getting people on their feet and playing on their feet, because of the perimeter game, the spread game, and the RPO game.

Q. Within that answer, did you just explain to Steelers Nation why James Harrison isn’t playing a lot of snaps?

A. Or also why Bud Dupree[​IMG] doesn’t have 12 sacks or why T.J. Watt[​IMG] doesn’t have 12 sacks. That position probably is being redefined in a lot of ways by the game. Some of the plays we’ve seen T.J. Watt make in the passing game this year – the big-time interception in Cleveland in his first NFL game, the big-time breakup he had against Jordy Nelson in the Green Bay game a few weeks back – and 10 years ago you never would’ve seen LaMarr Woodley even in a position to make those plays. That’s just the evolution of football. I laugh a lot of times when people ask me, what’s wrong with the production of our outside linebackers? It lets me know these people don’t understand the evolution of the game of football, and I politely answer in some way.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    VIEW GALLERY | 28 Photos
    PHOTOS: Make A Wish
    Q. Concentrating on the three young outside linebackers, how would you evaluate your three young outside linebackers – Bud Dupree, T.J. Watt, and Anthony Chickillo[​IMG]?

A. It has been exceptional play. We’re getting quality play from those guys, for the reasons I just talked about. I highlighted a couple of plays that really stand out to you in terms of those guys making plays in space and in coverage and in the things we ask them to do. It’s important. That position is being shaped and shaped in a big way by the evolution of football, and their ability to adjust will define them and their careers, because they’re very young, but also define us as a defensive unit in terms of how we evolve in the upcoming seasons. It’s really an interesting time from that perspective. It’s great to be in this game long enough to see the tides as they turn, and then have to maybe forecast and adjust.

I know I was cognizant of it in the drafting of T.J. A lot about him made him attractive: the fact he is very comfortable playing on his feet – he’s more of a linebacker than a defensive lineman; he had a background as an offensive player and an understanding of offensive football because he was a tight end, and that aids you big-time in coverage. All of those things are very much a part of the discussion in the evaluation of that position, where 10, 11 years ago I looked at LaMarr Woodley and said, “Man, he’s a heck of a rush-man. Let’s take him.” Therein lies the evolution of the game, and the evolution at that position specifically.

I think you hit the nail on the head about coverage, but still JH should be given a Helmet on gameday!!!!!

13. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Ask yourself and be honest...who is the best lber on the team?

14. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Now that Shazier is down? overall in terms of consistency it is Vince Williams.

Harrison in spurts can give us some great stuff. But I would not play him an entire game. For all his heroics against KC last year, Brady made him look really bad the very next week,

15. SteelHaven

Sep 24, 2012
    [​IMG]

16. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    HA HA! Harrison is sort of like Clubber Lang training in the basement while no one is watching. Waiting for a title shot.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Dude you're 39. It comes with the territory.

18. pellynch14

pellynch14 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Think he could dress every game and find at least 10 plays to hit people. Hell can he teach the guys to wrap up because no one else has.

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    During the game tonight, the said James doesn’t expect to be back next year.

Duh.