1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hargrave

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by CanadianSteel, Sep 27, 2017.

1. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree. The guy can flat out play, and needs to be on the field more. It's nice that he can handle nose tackle duties in our base defense, but that's really not the role that maximizes his talent. He's a beast pushing the pocket inside.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    He definitely needs to be on the field more. You saw what a beast he was at times on Sunday.

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Exactly.

5. CanadianSteel

Oct 24, 2011
    Exactly and we're not in the base D very often anymore, so they need to find ways to play him in other formations. I would love to see him getting more snaps, but with Tuitt likely back this week, I don't see it happening. Not that Tuitt being back is a bad thing, of course.

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I could see sub packages with Heyward, Tuitt and Hargrave on the field at the same time. Tuitt can be pretty effective rushing from the outside even though he's 300+ lbs. If you have Heyward, Tuitt and Hargrave with either Dupree or TJ rushing, there are likely to either be some 1 on 1 matchup problems for the pass protection, or they'll need to pull eligible receivers in to help. To me it seems to be a good recipe for inside pressure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    They seem to sub him out a lot 3rd down is passing situations. Maybe the I'm the only one who gets impressed at his ability to rush the qb, he does it quite well for a nose tackle.

Against the Browns he drove the center back like 5-6 yards and knocked the center into Kizer for a sack. It was really impressive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. CanadianSteel

Oct 24, 2011
    Totally agree. I was saying the exact same thing to my son a couple weeks ago. Bottom line, they need to find ways to get him out there. I think he's becoming a special player.

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Indeed. Loved him just as much as Rankins and Billings. Thought that he would be second best after Rankins. Glad I was wrong.

Hargrave is "Diggin'" some graves in the backfield for certain. Had he been involved more in that Chicago game, that run defense probably would have had better success.

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Smells like a recipe to beat the likes of Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady to me.

Interior pressure is often a quarterbacks worst nightmare; his pocket collapsing doubly so.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I was a Billings guy. Glad we got Gravedigger.

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Same here!

Huge draft crush on him. Thought he was a first round pick but then those knee issues surfaced after the draft.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I havent kept tabs on him. Is he even playing or IR?

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

He is playing.

Cincinnati is trying to ease him in as much as possible as he was out for all of his Rookie season with a torn meniscus.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I didnt even know he was on Cincy, thought he was in the NFC :lolol:

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Might be thinking of Rankins. He is a Saints player. :lolol:

Regarding Billings though, he is getting better and better each game. By mid season, he should be sufficient to pair with Atkins.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. Mr F

Mr F Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2016
    I'd usually rather have a push up the middle than an edge guy almost getting there. A push up the middle destroys the pocket, which is devastating for a pure pocket passer and even for a qb who can run it usually flushes him essentially taking away half the field for him to throw to

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm not as sold on Butler as most, I think he gets paralysis by analysis. He was a cerebral player and he expects his players to be the same it seems. And if they don't show that in practice, he probably gets apprehensive about playing anything other than some vanilla D. And with this younger D, I'm sure they are not digesting every nuance. Dude needs to simplify things if they aren't getting it. Take some hints from Seattle and now Quinn in Atlanta. Focus on the athleticism and fundamentals.

His player usage is questionable as well, including Hargrave's role this early on.