1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Happy Pine Tar Day. July 24th.

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by Brice, Jul 25, 2024.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018

This is what I remember, but this is not the rest of the story.

What I did not remember, was that after the Yankees won the game the Royals protested the call. Weeks later the league would rule in George Bretts favor and allow the home run to stand. The game would then be restarted in the ninth inning with 2 outs and the Royals having just scored a 2-Run homerun to go up 5-4.

Frazier struck out Hal McRae to end the top of the ninth, 25 days after the inning began. Royals' closer Dan Quisenberry retired New York in order for the save—Mattingly flying to center, Roy Smalley flying to left, and Oscar Gamble (pinch hitting for Ron Guidry) grounding to second[—preserving the Royals' 5–4 win.

Pine Tar Incident - Wikipedia

I don't know how rare it is to take away a Win from a team, give the other team the go ahead score and then resume play weeks later. Essentially going back in time and doing a do-over.

This would be like the NFL making a ruling that Jesse James did catch the Ball and the Steelers would be awarded the TD and the game would be resumed in the 4th QTR after the Steelers scored the go-ahead TD.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I do remember that very well. I liked Brett and was on his side the whole incident. I never paid close attention to the AL but I thought that was a make up thing because of rain. I was a bit shocked when friend told me it was the Pine Tar incident.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    As a rare Royals fan, I remember this well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Only rare on this board. I was the mailman for diehard Kansas City sport fan. Sadly, I still see him around town. I try and hide now days cause I'm sick of hearing about the KC Chiefs. I was 100% behind him when the Royals won the WS. Had just met him when the phillies beat them. I was almost as heartbroken as he was.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    My entire family are Cardinals fans. When the Missouri WS happened I jumped on the Royals just to be different than everyone else. Somehow I stayed a fan all these years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1