1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Haley on "Hard Knocks"

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    And before anyone whines that this isn't Steeler related, I disagree: It's about our former OC on an inner-division rival. Yes, this relates to the Steelers.

Did you happen to catch that sh-t show? Oh my, if we've ever wondered why the Browns remain so awful, look no further than that week 1 episode of "Hard Knocks" which is the most-insightful, most-revealing shows re: the NFL.

There was a scene where Haley is virtually shouting that they have major problems with the team and its players. He is imploring the meeting to make changes as, the way things are, they are going to FAIL.

You can tell Haley has been around winning organizations, and this one wasn't one, the way it was going.

So what does Hue Jackson do with this plead by Haley? Basically tells the whole group that they "don't sit in his chair" so shut up. (He says to speak their mind but it is obvious to everyone he doesn't really want them to.) How anyone with 1-31 record the last 2 years is arrogant, I do not know. But watching just 1 episode of that show clearly illuminates why the Browns just suck beyond belief.

2. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    They were talking about this on sports radio this morning. Their spin was that Haley was put in his place and then proceeded to pout about it. I focused on the pouting and didn't even begin to think about it from the perspective you presented. I think you have a valid point!

3. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    I am watching a vid of the Pat McAfee talk show talking about it. They are DESTROYING the Browns and Hue way more than I did. They just keep repeating how fake Hue is. I was kind of stunned watching HK. I knew the Browns were a clown car organization, but I had NO IDEA they could be this messed up.

Youtube it, I would include a link but there is tons of vulgarity used.

4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    If all of this is true, it wouldn't surprise me if Haley is fired or resigns after week 4. I know there is a lot of hate for Haley here, but he had a winning season with the Chiefs and playoff berth as HC. Plus, he won, more often than not, with Cardinals and Steelers as OC. I think he knows what he's talking about and not just stirring the pot for the sake of it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I will have to check it out. I find this stuff interesting.

6. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I never had any hate for Haley. I think the guy acts like a d**k, and some people can't handle that. As big a fan as I am of Big Ben, I'm sure he falls into the "can't handle it" category. I don't know Haley personally, so I'm only piecing together what has been said about him over the years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Haley won't resign, that contract is guaranteed.

And I do have a dislike for him, as a person more than a coach. I think he is competent as an OC (although think he gets too cute, too often with trick plays and bubble screens. Our O did much better when Ben called his own plays.) To simplify it, I think he is a jerk as a person; not likeable. It's that simple. You can tell his players don't like him either, as when he tries to approach them on the sidelines after a TD no one wants anything to do with him.

But he knows the NFL. And he knows the way things are going now, the Browns are in deep trouble. He tried to say his piece, but arrogant Hue blew it off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Browns haven't had anyone successful since Butch Davis as coach. He at least had them competitive. Heck if not for Dennis Northcutt dropping a pass Browns would of beat us in the playoffs in 2002 season at home.

Such a cursed organization, it just crazy to think of the QB's they missed out on.

9. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Haley is a dick and so is Ben. I think that is why they clashed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Don't know, .I was watching GMFB this morning, and they mentioned how great HK's was last night,. But they nvr said a wrd abt the WR that got busted with pot lst morning ...... lol

11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Hue is threatened by Haley. The writing is on the wall if he can't put some wins together this season. Fickle front office and Haley being a weasel spells the end for Hue. I did like seeing Haley sh*t his pants when he was put in his place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  13. Cobalt7

Cobalt7 Active Member

Jul 27, 2018
    Todd Haley? C'mon ...... we called a taxi for that bum in January and it should have been the final conversation about the jerk for our fans. But, you believe he's relevant to our Steeler journey? I don't. I just know he's never played the game of football. Never blocked, tackled or competed- not even high school. So I believe Hue Jackson inherited a major headache, a smart mouthed job-hopper in just the right city of losers. Yep.

14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    This is about as much Steelers related as MB getting trashed talked by Gruden. Both are completely irrelevant to the 2018 Steelers season unless we are actually playing against them or their teams. Good riddance to every player or coach that the organization felt obligated to rid themselves of.

Soon it will be the same for the little greedy (C)rap star.

I will bite though. Putting Ben and Todd together was the same as mixing oil and water.

15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Haley was a positive, at least at first. He was brought in to get Roethlisberger to make better use of check-downs and get the ball out of his hand quickly more often and that happened. Their personalities clashed and eventually Haley had to go, but the original hire was a good idea just based on the growth in Roethlisberger's game.

I am watching the first episode now. I love that Haley threw in a comment about not living in their fears during a coaches meeting.

I do feel for Hue Jackson, losing his brother and his mother eight days apart.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Williams had me laughing out loud when he lost his voice at the end of the episode.

"No (expletive), I've got a lozenge, (expletive)."

I had never run into the the limits on profanity here before. Interesting.

17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I watched it last night and really felt the way people were talking about Hale there would have been more to it. Heck the Jarvis Landry rant had more passion then the supposed confrontation.

Hue is just too nice, I feel for him but at the same time he seems like the type of guy who gets fired from HC and says OK do you mind if I stay around to help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    He didnt but his dad Dick haley was a nfl player and was the director of player personell for the steelers in the 70s so he does have some type of football background growing up even though he didnt play.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Lol

20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    The browns are in the same division so..

21. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
  22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Most surprising thing was Garrett sacking Mayfield and no one said anything. Years past that's a 5 min segment on why you don't hit the QB in camp.

23. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Haley and Hue were clowning Tomlin about "living in your fears" Than Haley basically drops it in on Hue because he thinks they are living in their fears and not practicing people who aren't severely injured. Funny stuff.

24. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Jebus H Creek, if you're so bummed out on anything not 100% Steelers just don' read the post. An inner-division foe, especially with our prior OC, is very much relative. If you disagree, or it makes you suicidal depressed, skip reading it.

25. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Do you have any idea how many great coaches never played past high school? Some not past Pop Warner. Ever hear of Vince Lombardi, Paul Brown, Bill Walsh or Bill Belichick? Were they any good?