1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Haley is the new OC according to Chris Mortenson on twitter

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jftwist, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhmiller3

jhmiller3 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Re: Haley is the new OC according to Chris Mortenson on twit

OK, I can't remember, but doesn't Haley have a Pittsburgh connection?

2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

If the Rooney's think he is the man then he is the man. If I could make one request to TH it would be this...... REDMAN! REDMAN! REDMAN!

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Edwards hasn't been the coach since the 2008 season, whatever Haley was "dealing" with had nothing to do with Herm.
    I'm not sure 1 good season proves he is a good OC, I do hope he can reproduce that season, the offense ranked highly in many categories.
    If he's just Ben's "coach" then fine but if he becomes an enemy like he has with personnel on other teams, then that's bad.
    I'm sure Art welcomes his players to see him anytime they like.

4. leveraged

leveraged Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011

I'm unsure of the pick. Time will tell.

I think it's always positive when you have a "homer" as a coach. You know they're going to give a little more effort because it's "their town", sorry Taahhn. :herewego:

Especially with the Steelers, where the the team, the culture, the history supercedes play calls and egos.

I think being from the 'burgh, he get's it and is probably why he aced the interview.

He knows what the Rooney's are looking for and i think he'll deliver. :towel:

5. lamberts lunatic

lamberts lunatic Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Good news or bad news, we will see. Hope Haley is good news :herewego:

6. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011

7. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011

***I debated doing this, then decided I'd just start with this disclaimer: The hidden item is not dirty... but it's suggestive as hell. If you're easily offended, don't click. Simple as that.***

You mean THIS guy is our new OC?! :roflmao:

[​IMG] (I edited it and gave a clean version. Just imagine Haley watching a petty, um.... talented girl. :))

Just kidding. I hope he does well for us.

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Do not like this hire at all, Haley is to much of a hot head.
    We shall see, we shall see. I hope I am wrong about this hire.

9. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

Only a mod (or admin) could get away with a posting like this! :shock:

10. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011

I'm mixed about the potential hire. I like his passion and sideline emotions, I'm not sure about his play calling or x's & o's knowledge. Arizona he had a HOF QB and WR to make things easier, along with a HC that was an impressive OC with us. I think it's hard to tell how much influence Haley had in Arizona. Obviously in KC as a head coach it turned into a disaster, but any coach is setup for failure in KC with their awful roster.

Time will tell. I'd really like to see an official announcement from the Steelers.

Maybe Haley was telling the truth about the KC phone tapping... I mean the first rumor he was offered a job did come out of 610am in KC, none of the local pittsburgh guys commented until after Mortensen confirmed the report.

11. leveraged

leveraged Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011

Hilarious!!

12. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Oh man!! She has talent and I'm in love!!!

13. NickSteel

NickSteel Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011

You may not be one of the offenders, but there are definitely quite a few people on this board who still insist 5 years down the road that Tomlin is riding on Cowher's cotails and only owes his success to the team Cowher built. So why is it so outlandish to think that Haley had a lot of Herm to overcome initially? I think he did a admirable job with what he was given (not much) until the wheels fell off when both his starting RB and QB got injured this year.

People also keep on saying this, but fail to remember that Warner was all but washed up in New York, and then rose from the ashes like a phoenix when he met up with Haley in AZ. Sure he had good receivers to work with, but since when is having good players a strike against a coach's success? In addition Haley did not call the plays until the end of his first season in AZ, when he took that duty from Whiz, and we all know how their offense improved in the next year when he was the full-time play-caller.

14. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011

Whether Haley does we likely won't know til after yr 2. But I think one thing that is realtively transparent is that Tomlin doesn't make the calls anymore. This is most definitely an ownership decision that handcuffs MT IMO. Perhaps he has been and is just a figure head as many on the board have mentioned. That said, I don't want ownership getting any more into the details than this. No Jerry Jones here please.

15. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

Man no disrespect but you have no idea what you're talking about. It was Rooney's decision ultimately that Arians wouldn't be re-signed, yes... but it sounds like Mike Tomlin also didn't really go to bat to defend Arians either.

The hiring of Haley was Tomlin's decision. He brought him in for an interview, called around the league about it, and I've read in several places that Tomlin came away very impressed by his interview with Haley.

Obviously none of us really know, but to compare Rooney to Jerry Jones is a joke.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: Genius!

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

I'm definitely not one of the "offenders", I find the whole riding Cowhers coattails a joke. The very notion suggests that if you field a team of talented players, then you do not need a HC. Look at the talent the Cowboys and Chargers have had and have done ****. In fact, Norv took over a 14 and 2 team that fell one game short of the SB and he drove the team into the ground. So yeah, Edwards was 3 years removed from Haley, Haley wasn't dealing with squat from him.

18. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
  19. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011

I think this is somewhat of a hire that puts Tomlin on notice.

20. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

Yes, his father was with the organization. I think in the front office or operations guy...

21. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011

His dad is Dick Haley. He was Player Personnel Director in the 70's and 80's. He's most known for selecting Lambert, Swann, Stallworth, and Webster in the '74 draft.

22. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Wow ! That's about as ugly as it gets. I remembered reading that article around the time it came out but forgot all about it. Thanks for posting and god help us if even half of the stuff written in that article is true :-(

23. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011

I would have liked to stay in house and was excited seeing what Randy could have done. However I'm looking forward to see if Haley's "abrasive" style can give us the edge we need to get to and win the superbowl.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Aye Caramba! :doh: And people say Ben needs to grow up, Haley is a child in a mans body, sheesh. The only positive I take from this article is Haely wasn't hired as our HC, he's taking over the OC position and I've often said that just because you suck as a HC doesn't mean you are a bad OC or DC. Tomlin and Rooney will keep manyboy and his temper tantrums in line, I hope.

25. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

I have to take this with several grains of salt. Regardless of what Jason Fatlock says at the begining of the article, he doesn't like Todd Haley even as a person. Haley may have some opportunities, but don't we all. Jason Whitlesslock is the least credible of any sportswriter I have ever read. Some of you guys living in the KC area who have been subjected to his worthless drivel may agree. I listened to his schtick and watched his fat rear end parade around town like some uber celebrity for 10 years living in KC. It is a blessing for you KC guys that Fatlock has moved on from trying to deride and derail all KC and area sports teams. Somebody probably just set a big plate of BBQ ribs under Jason's nose and said write this pile of crap. That's all it takes to persuade fatlock. Take it for what it's worth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.