1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

had a pretty good debate

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel1031, Nov 28, 2011.

1. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Was chatting with a guy at work and thought I would get some opinions. we were talking about who you would take ben or terry. I said terry. it got us talking. if you had to choose, I know its meaningless, who would you take if you were drafting knowing what you know now and they were in there prime.

ben or terry
    hines or stallworth
    shell or troy
    webster or pouncey
    woodson or blount
    harrison or lambert
    greg loydd or woodley
    jerome or franco

2. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    BUS better numbers tougher and was the only thing on alot of teams where Franco was great but on a Team Fulll of HOFs! and was soft

3. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Ben
    Stallworth
    Webster
    Lambert
    Troy (But only if he can stay healthy)
    Bettis
    Mean Joe Green
    Whiz
    Cowher!

4. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    terry
    hines
    troy
    webster
    woodson
    lambert
    greg loydd
    jerome

5. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Roethlisberger
    Stallworth
    Troy
    Pouncey (Too young to really know much about Webster)
    Woodson
    Lambert
    Loydd
    THE BUS!

6. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Terry thus far.

Hines was a more complete football player. If you made me choose.

Tough one, but I'd go with Donnie.

Webster. How is this even a debate?

Woodson. Better overall athlete and his style of play is more suited to today's game. Blount was a mugger. Perfect then. Flag city now.

Lambert... in Harrison's body.

Lloyd all the way.

Another tough one. Flip a coin.

7. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    ben or terry BEN
    hines or stallworth HINES
    shell or troy TROY
    webster or pouncey POUNCEY
    woodson or blount WOODSON
    harrison or lambert HARRISON
    greg loydd or woodley WOODLEY
    jerome or franco THE BUS

8. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Might be a generation gap at quarterback. Both tough as nails, wish Ben had Bradshaw's arm and legs.

9. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Some of these choices are obvious but on the other hand some are too close to choose.But it does make you appreciate all the talent that we have had over the years.

10. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    I am surprised people are taking jerome. I thought franco would be the pick easily.

11. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    ben
    hines
    troy
    webster
    woodson
    lambert
    greg loydd
    jerome

:flag:

12. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I would take the BUS too and I watched them both play. Franco had more speed than Jerome but the power belongs to the BUS!!!

13. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    - Franco- Fast,Powerful,Better than most give credit to.

14. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    thanks for the feedback. we got a little heated on a few of them. I took terry, stallworth, webster(he thinks pouncey is the best in the nfl), I took blount because i think he is one of the best to ever play. I know woodson was too but mel was just better I think. donnie shell and troy was tough. he ask me that one and I had a tough time choosing. Troy is one of a kind. I finally said troy. the linebackers also were tough. lambert, ham, and russell are all good. I think harrison is better. he thinks woodley is better than harrison. i said greg was better just to tick him off. as for jerome and franco, I may be wrong but I put franco in top ten all time. I dont think jerome is in that class. I am old enough to remember him play and I know some of you are not. believe me franco takes a back seat to very few

15. Steelballz

Steelballz Active Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Ditto

16. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I have seen them all play. My picks are:
    ben (toughness)
    hines (toughness)
    troy (assuming healthy)
    webster
    blount (assuming another good returner is on the team)
    harrison (close)
    greg loydd
    jerome (tougher)

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    ben or terry: TERRY - Love Ben but Bradshaw was 10 times the big game QB Ben has shown to be despite the best 4th Qtr drive in history.
    hines or stallworth: STALLWORTH - Only thing Hines can do better then Stallworth is block
    shell or troy: SHELL - Hate picking against Troy but Shell was tremendous and could hit like a mofo, anyone that lays out Campbell and breaks his ribs is a monster.
    webster or pouncey: WEBSTER - Silly one, no contest.
    woodson or blount: WOODSON - Another tough one, Blounts responsible for a rule change, dude was bad but Woodson is just an amazing athlete all around.
    harrison or lambert: LAMBERT -One of the best ever
    greg loydd or woodley: LLYOD - Another no contest
    jerome or franco: BUS - Tough one, I'll give the edge to Jerome

18. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I can see it being heated. A lot of the younger fans may not have seen Terry play but he had better physical tools than Ben and was tough as nails. Bradshaw was faster and thought nothing of taking off with the ball. Lambert could do everything Woodley and Harrison can do but he was much better in coverage.

19. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    I wonder if jerome had not got his ring if people would think he was better

20. SteelMojo

Oct 23, 2011
    Franco was great but soft Bus would get u those tough yards! where as Franco would run out of bounds not lower his head get that little extra

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I didn't even take it in to account, he was just pretty much unstoppable. He was like a juggernaut.

22. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Didn't grow up in the PGH area, but was very familiar with the Steelers of the '70s

BEN over Terry. Bradshaw was very inconsistent over his first 5 yrs, Ben was great. Bradshaw was far more reckless with the ball. Ben wins too.
    STALLWORTH over Hines . Stallworth was rightly considered one of the top WR of his time, Hines rarely.
    TROY over Shell. Ones an HOFer, the other one isn't. One was Def Player of the year, the other one wasn't, not close.
    BLOUNT over Woodson. Close call, two great players, But Blount changed the position.
    WEBSTER over Pouncey. Is there any question?
    LAMBERT over Harrison. At the age that Harrison finally won a starting job, Lambert was a HOFer.
    Lloyd vs Woodley. i'll call this a tie, between two overrated LBs
    FRANCO over Jerome . The core offensive component of a dynastic team is an easy choice over a guy who had lots of weak playoff games.

23. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Check Bettis playoff statistics, then check Francos. The Bus had A LOT of crappy playoff games, Franco has few. Night/Day. Had the Steelers lost to Indy after Bettis' fumble, I really wonder how different his legacy would be.

24. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    I have no doubt pouncey will be good, but u guys are right webster is better. I wonder who you all think the best lineman to ever play for the steelers would be. I think webster might be the best. I know some will say the big red head(faneca) dawson was good as well. I wonder if anyone remembers jon kolb. I was to young to really understand line play then. was he pretty good?

25. SteelMojo

Oct 23, 2011
    he would still be better IMO Franco was great but like i said he was Soft would never make the hit like Bus would! playoff statistics? thats nite and day Bus for alot of years WAS the ONLY thing they had on O while Franco had a HOF O so of coause he would have better playoff numbers! Ds would game plan Bus! not Slash Maddox ect ect while Franco you had to game plan Terry Swann Stallworth Blier ect ect! Bus 5. Jerome Bettis - 13,653 GREAT for a big back who took MANY hits! and like i said the only thing the Steelers had on alot of there teams!
    11. Franco Harris - 12,120 still great but like i said was on a team full of HOFs and was soft DIDNT like hits! so who cares if he had playoff numbers! :herewego!: