1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hackett

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by santeesteel, Dec 26, 2022.

1. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    You haven't been paying attention. Several people have.

2. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    This thread is a waste of bits and bytes.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    agreed.

4. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    you’re still not answering the question.

5. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    dont act obtuse. When the argument is about tomlin and the side that’s all for tomlin staying, because they argue tomlin is great, asks “name another coach that could do better?”, then it’s clear those posters can be labeled as tomlin defenders/fans/lovers/etc.

however, let’s change the label, what do you want to call the posters who defend tomlin, want him to stay and ask that question? We will go with your label.

6. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    who said anything about love?

I do think Haley or Payton will do a better job than Tomlin with Steelers today. They will remove Canada and that will dramatically improve things.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    Noll would be like, " What the **** are you kids doing?" and then he would show them how to be professional football players.

8. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    Back in the day, there used to be professional NFL football players, and then there were Pittsburgh Steelers.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Is there anyone on here who WANTS him to stay? Or, are there those who are realistic and know that it doesn't matter what we think. Tomlin will be here until ownership decides to let him go.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    LOL at Payton or Haley. (why anyone would want the latter is beyond me, but I digress.)

When Tomlin exits, we should all know the mold for the next HC. Thirty-something defensive coordinator or assistant with no prior HC experience/baggage who could be here for 15 years. I'd be shocked if it were anything different.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    exactly. That’s how Steelers do it. Which makes it even more ridiculous when people say “name someone to replace tomlin”.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    DeMeco Ryans

• Like Like x 1
  14. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Not totally.

When the question is asked and someone says an ex-NFL HC, a college coach, or someone older than 45, you immediately know they have no clue. Their suggestion of Payton, or whoever, is just not very thoughtful, and is merely visceral. They don't have to have a suggestion per se, but at least know how the team you root for actually works.

Edit: OK, I guess there's a chance they do something highly out of character, but if they were going to do that Tomlin would have already been gone.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Gotcha!

16. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.

anyone who asks “name a tomlin replacement” is showing their cluelessness on how Steelers go about hiring HCs.

17. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    It's not even just cluelessness on how we hire, but cluelessness on the question itself. We can't know if someone would do a better job or not until they coach. Lots of people thought Hackett would be a great HC (and understandably so) and we all know how that turned out, heck he might even be a good coach elsewhere (Belicheck wasn't Darth Hoodie as we know him in his first HC stint). Its just a dumb question and it shows ignorance of the real question at hand.

What it boils down to is this: Do you feel like Mike Tomlin is doing an adequate job currently, and do we feel like he is the right person to get this franchise to where we want to be in the future (perennial SB contender)?

My answer is no. IMO he has underperformed for years and I feel like the game is passing by the type of coach that he is (strictly players coach whose main weaknesses are X's and O's, game planning, and in-game adjustments). Could our replacement be worse than Tomlin? Yes. But does that mean we shouldn't try? No.

Think of it this way. You have a girlfriend that you've been with for nearly 20 years... The first 5 years or so was great. She cared for you, always looked and acted great in public and at home, handled herself well with your family, and treated and raised your kids wonderfully. But for the past 10-12 years she's gradually let herself go. She no longer puts in more than the minimum effort with your kids and family, she treats you like garbage for the most part and is overall inattentive to your life and what you want out of it. Should you stay with her? I mean, you don't know anyone off the top of your head that would be better. And hey, she is better than some other people's girlfriends you've seen so maybe she's not that bad after all. And what if your next girlfriend is worse? Maybe you should be content with what you have. You can convince yourself you're happy...

That's a nightmare scenario, but this is where we are as a fanbase. It just needs to stop. It was a great ride with Tomlin, but if we want to be contenders in the future we need a more "varsity" effort from the coaching staff.

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You lost Me at.....Having a girlfriend for 20 years. LoL

19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    We should revisit this in the off season because I think what my definition of x's and O's differs somewhat from yours and it would be a good discussion. That being said in your example I'd look at for what it is. Lamar is a running threat and his throwing accuracy is what is questionable. I think most teams would try defending him the same way. Put 9 guys down in the box with single high safety and a lone CB playing man coverage until he proves he can pick you apart. That's not x's and O's to me because they aren't changing personal to attack an opponents weakness they still use the base defense but less spread out. In the case of Burrow while he can scramble he will do more damage from the pocket throwing so they will use a more standard 3-4 zone scheme or nickel and dime to cover the receivers. Again they are changing what they do to match the opponents weakness. I can think of a handleful of times under Tomlin where they legit changed up what they did to match what tape showed. AB moving all over the field vs Washington so Norman couldn't shut him down, bringing in a consultant coach who had beaten the Pats, and the Bills opener where they flustered Allen with the defensive changes.

• Like Like x 2
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I hear You, but is not any changes to the scheme an Xs, and Os thing???
    We clearly changed when We went up against Carolina, and again against the Raiders. I believe You are correct when You say Tomlin is a fundamentalist Guy, but from everything I've heard about Cowher that was His biggest thing also. I believe they both are Xs, and Os guys also....one maybe better than the other, but doesn't mean neither aren't. JMO.....,and Yes it makes a great offseason topic. :thumbs_up:

21. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    lol

22. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I think for fans it's about "Are we happy with the HC?" and not necessarily can we get a better HC, as you say. We all recognize that every hire is a risk and as much as some here may think Tomlin is an idiot. Let's be honest, however, a purely objective look at his record and accomplishments puts him in the Top 10 of NFL HC's, like it ot not. That does not mean we should be satisfied with that, but what I am saying the chances of getting a worse coach probably are greater than getting a better one. Regardless, though, if he isn't getting the franchise where it should be then that's a risk worth taking.

Unfortunately, I don't think that's the way the Rooney's think. The Rooney's are willing to pay a HC a going rate and as long as the results are good enough and the salary demands of the HC are in line with what they're willing to pay then that person is going to stay. Their belief is that the security they provide means they shouldn't have to pay top dollar. That was supposedly the fundamental reason Cowher and the Steelers parted ways. Tomlin is supposedly the 8th highest paid HC in the NFL, btw, which sounds about right.

There's a disconnect between what fans want and the organization wants. Fans want championships. The Rooneys want value, i.e. results per dollar. As long as Tomlin delivers that value, he'll continue to be HC.

• Like Like x 1
  23. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I don't find it to be a stupid question at all, as long as it's not in jest. I've asked it myself before because I was genuinely interested in coaches I may not know about. Those who despise Tomlin the most find it to be stupid because they feel it challenges their dislike for him. Not everything has to devolve into childish bickering around here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe that is very well put.:thumbs_up:

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes it does....You don't own Me. LoL