1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hackett

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by santeesteel, Dec 26, 2022.

1. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I agree. I also think the personalities of prior coaches would have to be different to coach in this era. Those that are able to adjust to any era would be the most successful. I don't think the personalities of a 35 year old Noll or 40 year old Bear Bryant would be successful with today's era of athlete. The athletes would simply just quit on those coaches forcing them to either resign or be fired.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Do you think the Broncos made a poor decision?

• Like Like x 1
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Not avoiding the question at all. AB was frequently covered by our opponents best cb and even double teamed and we didn’t stop throwing to him.

4. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
    You really don’t understand at all. A qb doesn’t drop back look at his primary and say he’s open, but let me check this guy. Now let me check option 3

Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes, they have been known to make poor decisions, there is a history there.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And how does that make them a Tomlin lover when they ask a legitimate question

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    So in this case you think they should have kept this coach

8. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    People have mentioned replacements, I can only hope the Rooney's and their mgmt team have
    a succession plan in place when needed and have viable candidates in mind. As we have saw in Steelers past, MT will
    leave on his terms.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    No I said he would be fired weeks ago, Broncos MGMt have made some real questionable
    moves in past. Why did they even hire him? Look for a proven winner to take over this rabid fan base team. The natives are restless as here in the Steel City

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It doesn’t.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    Ok I agree. I was not talking about all the horrible decisions this team made in the past. Just this one

12. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    “I’m a fundamentalist as opposed to scheme.”
    -Mike Tomlin

13. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Good point. It’s easy to take an offensive coach who’s had a great quarterback and elevate him but that’s the lazy approach IMO. Take a coach who’s had marginal offensive talent and made them incrementally better. Teams need to do their homework and stop putting these guys in OC positions when they have guys like Aaron Rodgers at the QB position.

14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Good points. Tomlin is a system type of coach where what worked 16 years ago will continue to work today. The system is old and predictable and has become a routine that other teams know what our plays are as they have stated. Tomlin is like a Michelin tire where at first its great and does well. But as time goes on, it wears and becomes just average. There is s shelf life for HC's are evidenced by the history of HC tenures throughout the NFL's history. MT doesn't change that. Those that think MT is great because he is crawling out of the hole we created, then that's fine. It is praiseworthy no doubt. Now we may be able to stick our chests out at another average season and look forward to the same routine as the standard is the standard. This isn't a bash MT post; he doesn't deserve that. But it is time for new ideas, a different culture, now position coaches, and better drafts. JMO>

15. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    even more baffling is the desire for Haley. Sub 500 as a hc, never won a playoff game, and is in such high demand he hasn’t been in the league since being fired by the browns

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    Someone had to fall down on the sword for the new owners. The HC got a QB who was being unloaded by Seattle. If he was part of the decision approval process, he should be gone.

17. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    I agree with you, but that will likely never change because all they see is someone winning.

• Like Like x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Matters what poor decision You are pointing to. I thought it was a poor decision to bring Wilson in on a team that needed a lot more, and especially when they then resigned Him without watching Him play for them.

19. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Reminds me of a video I watched by Dave wannstadt(sp?). Basically he said you have to be really careful with free agency and trades because there’s a reason teams let these guys go. You can look at Bryant, Brown, and Claypool as steeler examples. Some people blasted the Steelers for only getting a third for those guys

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I admit I was wrong about Claypool, but not because I thought He was good(I've complained about Him since last year), but because I thought taking any player away from the rookie would be hurtful.
    I was very wrong.

21. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I didn’t want to trade him either because of his potential. He should have been a monster in the slot. However, he kept running the wrong route and drifting through zones. He whiffed on way too many blocks as well. To get a high second for him was a steal.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    I was pointing out the flaw in your statement “Steelers don’t care what happens with the other team”. If we come into a game and want to run the ball but during the game the other team losses all of the DBs to injury. We will throw the ball.

23. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    This is a lame argument. Nobody is saying anyone would be better than Tomlin, and nobody on this board is paid handsomely to scour the intel - that you will never see - on all of the coaches available. That's an organization task, and they have been failing - depending on what you are happy with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Enjoy your time in fantasyland

25. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I guess all the lack of postseason success lately is making it to where the non losing season mediocre team might not be the worst thing? I’m definitely way too critical maybe these guys have it right.