1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hackett

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by santeesteel, Dec 26, 2022.

1. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    For all you "experts" and anal ysts who claim "Anyone would be better than Tomlin!" The Broncos just fired Nathaniel Hackett. Here's your chance to talk up how anyone would be better than Tomlin......

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I think Tomlin is not the best at X's n O's , not great at clock management , if he is involved more in the draft I don t see that be a talent either, way too many misses and too many reaches.
    Players still make too many mental errors and discipline has been a big question for a few years.
    There is a lot that could be better in his coaching.

But I have to admit the players do play for him, this was a season they could of packed it in early but obviously have not given up.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Out of interest, why do you think this?

I often see it said, and I know he’s said things in the past about not being a scheme guy… but I’ve also heard players talk about how he breaks film down regularly etc. and suggest the opposite.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I've heard the breaking down tape stuff as well but nothing after he shows them the tape. In my opinion he isn't an x's and o's guy because he doesn't believe in that philosophy. He believes that if they have drilled themselves to perfection it doesn't matter what other teams do that perfection trumps all. You can see this play out time and time again when he is directly asked things like the Cowboys started a QB with no NFL experience and who had been with the team for about a week, did you consider turning up the pressure in order to make him crack? No we do not change what we do because an opponent does something. Coach the Ravens have a dominant ground attack will you use more sub package defenses in an attempt to slow that attack. We will address that fact the same way we always do in that we will put the appropriate players on the field at those times and won't let them affect what we do.

He can break down film until the cows come home but if you aren't using that information what good is it?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Hackett was a clusterf*** as a HC. No matter how much Russ sucks, nobody will want Hackett for that job again. Now, whether he's better than Canada as an OC is debatable. When he had success calling an offense, it was tied to one of the greatest QBs of all time so it's tough to know why they succeeded.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    The we do what we do and don’t worry about the other team mentality has won us 3 playoff games in 12 years. The players like playing for him and normally play hard. That’s the best thing I got.

• Like Like x 1
  7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    mid you’re letting an opponent dictate what you do you’ve already lost.

you can listen to moats, pouncey, Taylor to name a few that talk about how much they learned from tomlin about football

• Like Like x 1
  8. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    it’s sounds good to them. They grasp at straws. Throw a bunch of **** and hope something sticks. When that fails they start on his sunglases

Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. BAMASteeler

BAMASteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2022
    I want a coach that will get the team back to respectability, win playoff games... Not a human sound bite that is content with sneaking into a wildcard spot to get our ass handed to us....

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    Broncos are blowing through their committee of 6 new owners cash.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm not sure that those to thoughts are mutually exclusive. I never said Tomlin isn't teaching his players. I said he doesn't use the x's and o's. If in breaking down tape you see 85% of runs to the right are successful and they run less than 2% to the left with mixed results do you use that information to stop the run to the right? Or do you continue to play your normal defense with no specific match up for runs to the right?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Tomlin drives me crazy sometimes but if you are whining about him taking a 2-6, no HOF QB squad to a 7-8 possible playoff contender and your argument is cause you think he will get blown out in the first round then you are pretty much barking up the wrong tree.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    let’s say u go up against Rod Woodson who’s covering DJ, are you saying if they don’t keep throwing to DJ, they’ve already admitted defeat?

14. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Did we stop throwing to ab?

15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    No one will want him, but also who on their right mind wants what was once a great job. They have tied themselves to Russ for at least 2 more years and traded a lot of draft capitol. Not much in FA dollars either..gonna take time to right that ship.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    It's ironic, I was just thinking about Hackett and wondering, is he an actual good OC? Green BAy and Rodgers had mega years with him and after he left, they got very average, very fast.

I have no idea if it was Hackett as the OC or other reasons, but would he be a candidate for our OC IF we let go of Canada? It sounds like a crap sandwich, but the results say maybe he is a good OC, bad HC?

Edit, see that thought was already posted above...but this confirms my wondering mind that I am not alone about possible OC Hackett. Hopefully we move on and get a diamond of an OC. I have my doubts with Tomlin making the choices.

As for Hackett worse than Tomlin? Yep, he was a worse HC. Tomlin is still in the bottom 1/2 of NFL coaches the past ten years.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    Results on the field. We lose to worse teams and I can't recall the last time we blew anyone out. It's been many seasons since we had a sound win against any team not already the worst in the league.
    Last playoff win? We had some talented teams up till about 3 years ago (got old), and couldn't managed to win a single playoff game with superior talent. OUT COACHED.

Tomlin is really bad at choosing coordinators. Maybe he wants yes men to go with his stale X's and O's or maybe he's bad at hiring and X's and O's. Probably the later.

I want Tomlin out because we need a fresh take and we need to take a chance at actually being really good instead of mediocre and the team EVERY other team WANTS to play come playoff time. We're an NFL joke if we make the playoffs. That stings as a Steelers fan that grew up with gritty, hard-nosed, hard-tackling, run-the-ball-down-your-throat teams. We we're feared, even by better coaches than ours.

18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    What's crazy is 5 of their losses were a TD or less..a couple a FG could have won it...the same could be said for nearly all the games they won, the difference between 2 or 12 wins is that close. Not even saying they are that bad or good..it's just reality in a whole range of games this year. 11 of the Vikes wins have been a TD or less. They have a better O output than us most weeks, not trying to compare..they seem to at least have more O output...but the wins are not runaway. There are a couple of really quality teams, but most do not overwhelm.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. RockyBleier

RockyBleier Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2015
    My favorite question for all the 'fire Tomlin" people. Who is out there and available that you know is an upgrade?

20. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Way to avoid the question. Just admit your argument makes no sense.

Let’s say they did stop throwing to AB, does that mean they admitted defeat and should walk off the field?

21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    So by default we accept a good regular season coach that is not a playoff threat for another 10 years?

22. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    I keep answer those questions with Sean Payton and Haley, but the tomlin lovers don’t remember the answers.

• Like Like x 2
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And I keep asking who these Tomlin lovers are and never get an answer

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    3 play off wins in 12 years. That's not a straw. It's a 2x4. Tomlin is a decent coach. Not a great one. Should ha be gone? Doesn't matter. The Rooneys will NEVER fire him so it's pointless to bother about it. He's here for as long as he wants to be. I think his time has passed but that's just my opinion. As much as players like playing for him they should translate that to the field. I think he should fire both of his coordinators and bring some fresh blood into the organization. But that's just my opinion

• Like Like x 1
  25. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Hackett looked like a great OC when he had Rodgers and then not so good OC when he didn't.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1