1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Gwynn's family sues

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by santeesteel, May 23, 2016.

1. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Now that Tony Gwynn has died of salivary gland cancer caused by chewing tobacco, his family is suing big tobacco for getting him hooked on a 2 can a day habit. Now, I smoked 2 packs a day for 39 years before I quit. I was diagnosed with lung cancer 4 years after I quit (in remission now)!
    All I want to say is, there was one person that got me addicted to nicotine........ME! There was one person that didn't quit even though I knew the risks........ME! Camel provided the product but there's only one person that CHOSE to use it................ME!
    C'mon Gwynns, it's called personal responsibility. You have enough money already. Spare me the sermon about trying to help other people.
    Rant is over. Smoke 'em if you've got 'em!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    That's messed up man but great to hear you're a cancer survivor! Thank God for that! My papaw died from lung cancer. It was in the 4th stage before they caught it. I've never really understood the whole "stages" thing but I think 4 means terminal doesn't it?

3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I think it depends on where it's found. They said mine was stage 4 only because of it's placement and difficulty of surgery. They couldn't remove the tumor surgically so they hit me with chemo and radiation.

4. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Did you try that proton therapy too? I've seen a lot of stuff about that. My papaw's was actually in his lungs and then they done exploratory surgery to find it and turned out he had a mass the size of a softball in his stomach and they had missed it on every mri and x-ray! He only made it 9 months after they found it but he suffered greatly while they were waiting to find it and then even after they did it was just so advanced and spreading so rapidly that the best he could hope for was just a few good moments every now and then. I despise cancer with all my heart.

5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Sorry to hear about your grandpa. The radiation they did on me was similar to proton, just called something else. I've been incredibly lucky in that I didn't get any of the symptoms (nausea, fatigue, hair loss) that some patients get.

6. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah that's a blessing for sure. My wife's mamaw had lung cancer too and the chemo caused her hair AND fingernails to come out! She survived 4 years after her diagnosis. I will always remember the exact moment that she died because it was during the Colts/Saints Super Bowl and literally as Peyton threw the pick to Porter that put it away for the Saints my wife picked up the phone to hear that her mamaw had just died. There was snow on the ground here and we couldn't get down to hospice and I was crushed for my wife because they were super close. That was one of the most bitter sweet moments I ever had. Her mamaw and my papaw both died in February from the same thing. My other papaw also died from lung cancer about 3 years ago. He only knew he had it for like 2 months or so and he was gone. It was incredibly rapid.

7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I truly believe The Man has given you more time for a reason - that's for each of us to figure out and reflect back on what that entails. My Wife was diagnosed stage 4 kidney cancer almost 10 years ago and given 4-5 years max. It's now almost 10 years later and even though she struggles each day she nags me daily to walk the perimeter of the Phelan Groovy Ranch (our pad) - 1/4 mile each lap. With her "extra" time - it has enabled her to reconnect with 2 of her kids that didn't talk to or see her for about 10 years. It's also allowed her to receive 4 new grand kids into the world. But most importantly, it has allowed her to see me happily immersed into TTF's wonderful website. Glad you're still with us Santee!

8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Thank you! I'm glad I'm still here too! I'll wave to you you as I drive through on my way to Bishop.