1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Guess who is NEVER questioned?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Ever notice how the Steelers have a policy of no one in the GM or ownership role ever being held accountable? Why is this? You never hear of Colbert or Rooney have to ever answer for their decisions, ever. why? Do they never make any decisions? Why are we only left to quibble over decisions made by Tomlin and assit. coaches?

First of all, Tomlin doesn't made decisions on the OC and DC; those are Rooney calls all the way. Do you think MT made the call to "retire" Arians? BS. He gave him a vote of confidence just days before he was let go. Do you think MT made the ball to hire or fire Haley? Not even close.

You may not like Jerry Jones but at least the man is accountable for his decisions; Rooney and Colbert are allowed to hide on the decisions they make; they will sure as s---t take credit for things that are positive but when they screw the pooch, those decisions are left in subterfuge.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I've questioned Colbert. I hated the Jones and Golson picks, among others. I don't really know who made those calls though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think the way Rooney's forced Arians and Lebeau out was a little bogus. They both basically got fired. Just call it what it is, no sense in trying to save face.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I was very critical of Colbert in past years but now I'm starting to wonder if the coaching isn't making our draft picks look worse than they are. We used to be a LB factory, now no matter who we draft, our LB's are garbage (with the exception of Shazier). Even Shazier is out of position a lot, but his incredible speed allows him to recover. If not for that ridiculous speed, we would also be calling him a bust. How did we go from having so many great LB's to not being able to buy a good one? When Colbert and Cowher worked together, we had no shortage of great defenders. With Tomlin and Colbert, we are swinging and missing a ton.

So I'm a bit hesitant to blame Colbert when coaching is such a huge problem. If we had Belichek, Coughlin, Parcells, Cowher, etc. would our defensive draft picks still be as bad as they have been? It's impossible to say, but until Tomlin is gone, I don't want to blame Colbert too much.

I do blame the Rooney's plenty too though. I don't like them claiming someone retired when the reality is they were fired. Arians and Lebeau apparently both retired, yet both coached the very next year. It seems classless and petty. Call it what it is. Also, just because longevity worked with Noll and Cowher doesn't mean that's always going to be the right approach. Sure, if you have a great coach who can keep up with the changing times, then yeah, you stick with the man. If you didn't hire the right guy to begin with or he shows he can't adjust his style to keep up with the changing game, then you get rid of him. It doesn't matter if he's been the coach for 1 year or 100 years, if he's not getting the job done, fire him. There's more than one way to skin a cat and there's more than one way to win in the NFL. Retaining a coach for 20 years isn't necessarily the right way.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Why would Rooney have to answer to anything? He owns the team he can run it the way he wants.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Burn it all down. We were 13-3 right? I mean someone has to be doing a good job

7. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think the problem with getting good LBers is the way the game is played anymore. Teams evaluate players on speed and agility versus what is on tape, Bud Dupree is a good example of that. Teams are using the results of the combine more than the actual play and we have to face the fact that you need almost a hybrid safety/linebacker now to help in coverage. Colbert has done a great job with the offense, the scouting department has been awesome at finding the diamond in the rough but the whoever scouts defensive players needs to be let go, a lot of high round misses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    A lot of luck kept them ahead, it could have easily been 9-7 as 4 games were won at the very end. The Titans game was the only blowout and that was thanks to Mariota and his 4 picks.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    So the pats coaches and front office get credit and they are the luckiest team in the league but we get lucky our coaches and front office suck?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    I'm not one who thinks we need to burn it down, but I think changes need to be made. 13-3 doesn't matter. 1 and done matters. Sitting at home for the AFCCG matters. 13-3 and in the same place the 0-16 Browns are. Only difference, our draft pick is a lot worst than theirs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Hypocycloids

Hypocycloids Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If you want an overly involved ownership that is constantly in the media, you’re rooting for the wrong team.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The scouting department has changed a lot since the days of all the defensive hits we used to get. I think we have had some good LB , timmons, shazier, watt and I think Dupree could be good but the same problems keep going on with his game. Maybe he is being asked to do things he's just not as good at. :cool:

13. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Why does Jerry Jones have yo answer to anything? Because if you are making team decisions the fans deserve some answers. If not, they should stop buying tickets.

14. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Nice straw man argument. The two are not mutually exclusive you know. There is some gray area between never ever admitting you made a decision and totally going over the top with owner meddling. You do know that, right? The Steelers do all kinds of gymnastics to act as if Rooneys were not part of decisions that went bad, but when there is a nice hit - like drafting Ben - THEN they are happy to indicate they were involved. A potentially sticky OC firing? Huh? He retired, we had nothing to do with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They beat Minnesota and Baltimore handily.

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You don't know who made the decision not to retain Haley, so stop acting like you know how it went down. Tomlin had cause not to keep Haley, him and Ben didn't get along no need for Rooney to get involved.

17. Hypocycloids

Hypocycloids Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Look, I know that you’re frustrated that we lost to the Jags. We all are. And to be honest, I wasn’t arguing but merely stating a fact. The Rooneys have shown you who they are and who they are going to be for a long time. They are a quiet ownership. They are classy. They are the antithesis of Daniel Snyder and Jerry Jones. All I was saying is that if you are expecting something else from the Rooneys than what we are getting, you may be waiting forever. I like what we have in the Rooneys but I respect your opinion if you don’t.

18. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    As if Tomlin made the decision to hire OR fire Todd. That is laughable.

19. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    I am not expecting anything Hypo, just noting the way things are. I surely expect nothing to change. I just like when people are accountable and that won't be the case here. No big deal, just noting the way things are run.

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He's the HC duh, he wants to keep Ben happy Haley was shown the door.

21. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    But with those type of LBs, don’t you almost need a 4-3 to stay stout against the run?

22. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    Well there are 31 teams every year in that boat and if u truely think there isnt a difference sorry but your delusional

Ask a browns fan which is better. Ask a dolphins fans if they wouldnt like to win the east.

23. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    What team do u follow? The rooneys know about every decision made i am sure. They are in the building every day. They handle their business they way it should be.

Fans shouldnt have access to everything that goes on. I am a fan of apple but i dont need to know what the ceo does or doesnt do

24. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Thats the mindset that losers have. An owner that only want to make money and doesnt give a damn about the fans, players, and/or chanpionships. We will become the raiders or even worse ... the browns.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016

I am tired of hearing we were 13-3. Chris carter " This is one of the greatest assembled offenses I have ever seen, i do not want to hear 13-3 they could have been easily 9-7, way to many close games. This team should be 14-2 but blow out city, every game and walk to the afc championship game. Something is wrong with this team and it is a shame"

Chris carter said that and i agree but I also think shazier would have made a few plays that would have gotten us by jags but that being said Pats lose top players all the time and never miss a beat. All there coaches are not only football people but literal geniuses and that is difference. You give bill bellichik and his staff our team and they would not lose a friggin game.................

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1