1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

gruden

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Feb 4, 2012.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    would john gruden even be a thought as the new OC? :cool:

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Doesn't matter, he won't be anything but a HC in this league.

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Unlikely. Even though I like the thoughts of having Gruden as the OC. The problem is that I don't believe Tomlin will hire somebody like Gruden (or Haley or Jackson) because they are all very strong personalities and experienced coaches. I believe Tomlin would be threatened by that. Mark it down, we'll end up with Randy Fichtner as our OC because that's who Tomlin is comfortable with.

4. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    How often do you see a Super Bowl-winning HC take an OC position?

5. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    It's never happened. I thought George Seifert had taken a coordinator position, but I looked it up to be sure: nope.

6. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i'm not already confortable with tomlin ,let alone with someone tomlin is confortable , i hope rooney step in again

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    that rules billick out then i guess. :cool:

8. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I disagree. I don't see Tomlin naming Fichtner as the neww OC unless he is crazy. Fichtner is too buddy buddy with Ben. For Christ sakes he took Fichtner and his wife to the pro bowl with him, not ot of repspect but because they are friends. Ben doesn't need any more friends as his OC. He needs a strong personality as the OC. Somebody who will not just let him do what he wants to do and, I think Tomlin knows that. If he was going to name Fichtner, he would have already done it.

Fichtner would mean MORE OF THE SAME as Arians. I also think that the Rooney's already have said not Fichtner to Tomlin. I think they want to go in an all together different direction. I do think Tomlin will be comfortable with whoever he hires but it won't be Fichtner. He should be smarter then that. If he wants to get Ben under control, he should not promote Fichtner. I really think he wanted Coach Wilson, the Rooney's would have been fine with that.

9. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    we need someone who Ben is comfortable with Fichtner would be a great OC

10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

edog55, I hope like crazy you are exactly right. I couldn't agree more with your assertion about having another "buddy for Ben" is the last thing the Steelers need. Ben needs to hear a new voice. Somebody that's not afraid to get in the $100M Golden Boy's face from time to time when he fails to hit his check down, throw the ball away to avoid a sack, etc., etc., etc. I'm just not sure that Tomlin is the type of guy that will want an OC with a very strong personality, that's possibly been a head coach before and wants to be one again. I hope I'm wrong because we need an OC exactly as you've described it above.