1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Great Recruiting Class Pitt!

Discussion in 'College Football Talk' started by Ben There, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
  2. Ben There

Oct 20, 2011
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If the Hiarchy lets them compete, the sleeping giant will awake.
    We now have the coach in place to recruit with the best of them,
    all he needs is the support of the above, Hail to PITT! Go PANTHERS.

4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    While we all know why, I hate how college ball has become only a 2-3 year run for the better players with everyone jumping ship for the NFL. Only reason they're not losing both Connors and Boyd for this next year is obviously Connor's injury. But consider all the great RB's and WR's Pitt has lost prematurely over the past 10-15 years. I'm at the point where I only "hope" they have a QB good enough to duck out early, but alas we keep seeing the same average or below average QB's at the helm all for a season or 2 too long. Is Tyler Palko the best QB they've had since Marino? Maybe Rutherford?

5. Ben There

Oct 20, 2011
  6. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    They ranked 31 in recruitment for 2016, not so good since they still cant compete with the teams in their conference that are ranked in the top 15 who are signing the better players pitt cant get, Fla state ranked 2, clemson at 6, miami, NC, all were top recruiters over pitt, pitt needs to figure out how to get the elite players to come to pitt....

7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    They've done great at RB and WR over the years, it's QB and D that's killed them for the past 25+ years other than the amazing Aaron Donald. It doesn't help when top recruits like Pryor stiff them. Hoping Connor has enough in the tank to have a successful remaining time at Pitt. He reminds me a lot of the great #32 Franco.

8. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Narduzzi will be able to recruit if the admin let him.Pitt can't seem to keep the elite players
    at home. Here is hoping this will change? I see were the soph QB from Pine Richland just signed
    with Notre Dame. Supposedly a superstar? These have to change.

Steve Pederson ruined Pitt Football and it will take some years to fix what was a coaching carousel.

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

That young man's name is Chad Voytik. I have watched him considerably on Rivals and he is quite exceptional. No surprise he chose Notre Dame over Pitt. I am more impressed though he chose Notre Dame over the likes of Alabama and even Ohio State.

Regarding your Pitt comment upon obtaining these types of talent... until Pitt wins the big one.. do not count on it. The reason teams like Penn State and WVU can obtain such talents is due to the circumstances Pitt is currently in. There are "Super Powers" in the city. Each of these kings are part of the "Big Three" sports in North America; Hockey, American Football, and Baseball. To obtain attention in such a crowded market is very difficult. In addition, consider what obstacles are in the likes of Penn States way. There are no professional teams to steer away any sort or form of brand recognition or diminish any quasi-cult to even religious followings; not to mention said area can simply focus a hefty form of resources to further empower that schools athletic prowess into success.

While the likes of Steve Pederson REALLY did not help in any meaningful way, Pitt has not done too much due to the fact it already faces enough competition from standing itself out in a highly competitive sports market. Competing with the Steelers is tough enough. Add the success of the Pens and the Pirates and it that level of difficultly rises exponetionally. Successful teams like Alabama usually end up being the "Kill-Shot" to finish off any interest.

Ultimatley, to nab the attention of the best recruits, that program better spend, scout and have success. Regardless of the talent pool of that state (i.e. Pennsylvania, Flordia, Texas, California, Georgia, etc.) that program needs to have some form of winning tradition. Otherwise, no matter how deep your talent pool is, mediocrity will be stagnant and more of the same.

10. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I will have to agree to disagree with some of your comments AQL. The only one I can agree with is your last paragraph, again
    it all goes back to the admin giving Narduzzi the tools to succeed. Pirates & Steelers were world champs in 79 when Johnny Majors/Jackie
    Sherril were at Pitt, didn't seem to hurt their recruiting too much then? I look at Pitt now as like Michigan State, might not get the 5 stars like OSU,
    Alabama, Fla ST, Texas, Clemson. But I can hope that they will someday in the very near future?:)
    As to your reference about PSU & WVU you are kidding right? There not in the same planet
    as the teams I mentioned above. Look for PSU to fire James Franklin if he doesn't produce
    a consistent 10 win season, WVU has done a nice job given its circumstances. They don't have nor will they ever have the resources to compete for championships.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  11. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011

My Pitt Panthers just lost another hometown 4-5 star recruit to ND, Jeter out of Beaver Falls , PA. Ugh come on Pat
    we have got to get these type if we are ever going to compete for national titles.

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Sadly.. for Pitt to land such recruits.. they have to become relevant again... and giving up well over 530 yards of total offense to Oklahoma State is unacceptable and not even going to cut it.

In addition..., how the Big XII plays has absolutley nothing to do with Pitt's defense but the lack of discipline within their assignments.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016