1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Great receivers beat double teams

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 7, 2017.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I would take Julio over AB anyday, I don't think NE slowed Julio he caught every pass thrown to him. Atlanta didn't throw to him enough IMO.

2. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    There's no way they can do it consistently id Bryant is anywhere close to what he was when he was suspended.

He's got the size and speed that you can't teach and he's got great vision after the catch. Not as technical of a route runner as AB, but he does surprise people with his quickness for a long guy.

3. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    That's an issue as well. The Steelers "seem" to refuse to take what the defense gives them for long stretches of games. The Patriots just go with it. You give them something and they'll do it all day! Not afraid to keep doing it! We've seen Hayley do some crazy drive killing crap at times!

4. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    An interesting idea. When you clearly have one receiver who is your #1, the other team can try to take them out of the game. If you don't have a clear #1, but several more average players of equal ability, that may actually present more of a coverage challenge for a defense. I think that is the Pats offense. So many options, as no one is clearly the guy to cover.

5. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yup they really only had a couple true #1's over the years. You saw what they did with Randy Moss!

The key is they have someone else equally as good at other positions that they can just flex to on each play. That offense is designed around the "Whatever I need to do against your defense I can" mentality not the star player will beat you every week.

6. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Big Ben doesn't throw in to tight windows in big games... AB can't beat a double team if the ball isn't thrown to him.

7. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    im not sold that you have to have big wrs to be successful, but thats one area where i think you do need a big strong wr to be. you cant force the ball into dbl coverage with a small wr. odds are not in his favor. a guy like Julio Jones can out jump, out muscle and out reach most dbs and safties. AB isnt gonna do that.

8. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    yeah I noticed the other day he is 6'5, thats 2 inches taller than julio jones. I knew bryant was tall but thought he was 6'2 not 6'5! most corners are 5'10 to 6 ft so that is a huge reach advantage.

9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Edelmann is a nobody?Maybe that's how he manages to consistently get open, break tackles and gain silly YAC. Why bother covering or tackling a nobody!

10. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Nobody expects you to beat double coverage. The difference in Julio and AB is 1) Julio is fine with being a decoy and not going to throw a fit and 2) Going to run the right route every time so when is number is called his QB can trust him.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  12. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    SDUMB

13. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm not sure about him. But we'll see.

14. fer69

fer69 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2016
    I'll make this short
    W Welker with dolphins = average wr
    W Welker with patriots = great wr
    W Welker with Denver = back to average or below average wr.
    Is he even Playing anymore?:shrug:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Okay but, you were talking about now. I don't know why everyone discounts Brady's receivers. Edelmann and whosywhatsit are pretty damned good. Would they do as well on a different team? Who knows. Since you brought up Welker, I don't know what he did in Miami but, he was really good in Denver until the concussions took over

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Welkers career was derailed by concussions. He's twice the receiver Edelman is.

Wes had 3 seasons over 1300 yards, one of them for almost 1600. His numbers dipped in Denver due to injuries.

Edelmans best season was this year, 1100 yards. He has one other that he was just over a 1,000, the rest are under. Those are run of the mill numbers for a #1. I think he is very much a product of the system but so what, he's very good at it and tough to defend.

People wanting the Steelers to copy that is a terrible idea. Having a elite #1 receiver only makes things harder for the defense because they need to commit more defenders to him which leaves somebody open. Its up to Ben, Haley and the other receivers to take advantage of that.

It was mostly the other receivers not seizing the opportunity. Getting Bryant back will be a huge lift, I told everyone the offense would suffer without him, they were a TD better a game when he plays.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    When I look at the Superbowl Champs from the past years I see a clear pattern ...Not 1 of the Teams with stud WR'S have won the big game in awhile...I contend if you pay up at the WR position then you leave the rest of the Team to weak ...Coach T and KC stated they desired to be like the Pats ...Well to do that you have to know when to pay up and when not to ...#1 Our Team is not strong enough on the Defensive side of the ball to pay up at WR...#2 Our Team will be looking for a QB very soon as well...AB with a new QB will be closer to a average WR than he will be a stud ...

The Team is getting trade offers already so let's hope we can get a really nice offer and I really think we should take it ..

18. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    exactly. getting rid of your #1 wr just because you dont have anyone that stepped up to be the #2 makes ZERO sense. its up to those other guys to take that next step our the front office to go out and find one. i would much rather have a great wr and hope that another guy steps up than to have a bunch of average guys. which is exactly what everyone not named AB was last season.

the idea that the Patriots have a bunch of average wrs is crazy. Brady makes those guys look great, but if they didnt have talent to start with they would be killing teams like they do.

19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The Pats WR'S have no more talent than any of the Steeler's WR'S ..As I stated in the other thread a top heavy O will not get us past the Pats...Have to be able to play great Defense and control the Football ..We don't have the D , but moving AB could make that happen...We can control the ball and I think AB might actually hold this O back , Ben locks in on him and focuses to much on him if he was not here then Ben would be forced to hit the open man..That's what the Pats do ..One week 1 RB catches 10 balls for over 100,another week a young WR catches a bunch, another week it's a different WR, then it's a different RB...Then it's a TE and another week a different young WR..

They do the same thing with the running game any given week any of the 3 could go off.. They have depth and Quality depth because the highest paid WR is 4.25 Mil that allows for a stronger Team..

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Is Belichick coming here? Because otherwise you just weakened our offense tremendously.

21. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Nope , but make Ben and Haley actually develop different attacks for different Teams and let the guy who is getting open be the star..If we spread it around we would be much stronger..Harder to stop if you have to defend every blade of grass...

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    So you think Ben and Haley can do what Belichick does? There's 31 teams that haven't figured that out.

You can do what you are describing with a number 1 except it's even harder to defend because you have to commit more defenders to that number 1. Wouldn't that then be even easier to get the balls to the guys you are describing? Of course it would.

23. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Nope it is not easier..The reason is the timing...If you double the #1 and the QB has to look there 1st as Ben does then this allows blitzes and pressure to get home ..The key to spreading it around is pre snap and learning the best place to go before the snap...Ben can do that I believe if he was made to do so ...Use Bell to draw the extra defender with the running game ...

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Wrong but this is moot. AB isn't being traded.

25. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Yea, the Broncos didn't pay up their #1 WR. wrong!

And they were able to pay two elite pass rushers, and 2 shutdown corners as well.

The "trade Brown" promoters are ****ing morons

Ps the Pat's paid up their #1 WR... Gronkowski.