1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Great receivers beat double teams

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    AB vs NE Championship Game:

7 for 77 - 0 TD's

Julio vs NE Super Bowl:

4 for 87 - 0 TD's

Another fan notion up in smoke.

2. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Yeah, I don't know if it's WR not beating as much as it's the QB taking what the D is giving. If Ben were to force throws into double coverage, they would still get their fair share of completions.

3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Name one play where Julio didn't beat his man? Julio was a beast that game but Matt Ryan didn't give him many chances. When they threw to him, he came down with the ball, making ridiculous catches in the process.

Julio can and will beat double coverage when he's given the chance. He's one of my favourite players in the league so I've seen probably 90% of his games. He doesn't get shut down, although Atlanta uses him as a decoy far too often.

Julio never complains and is absolutely a team first player. Brown could learn a thing or two from him

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont know and you cant possibly know either from just watching the game.

Double teams can shut anyone down, dont care who the receiver is.

5. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    With great reads or great throws, a WR doesn't need to beat the double team. Take that insane sideline catch Julio made in the 4th quarter. He didn't beat the double team, the coverage was perfect, but the throw and catch were even better.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree but there is this idea floating around that AB isnt great because he was shut down by NE. Obviously thats not the only game AB has been double teamed and still puts up big numbers.

Just another silly fan narrative I was having fun with :smiley1:

7. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The answer is 0. He had 4 targets and 4 receptions. Even when he was covered, he still made the catch. Guys like Julio are never truly covered.

Yes, double teams can shut anyone down, but guys like Julio can also go up and get the ball even if two defenders are draped on him.

I'm not saying brown can't also beat double teams because he can, I'm just saying, your stats in the original post do not prove that Julio can't or didn't beat double coverage. You saw the catches he made. He caught everything they threw his way and there's no reason to think he wouldn't have continued to do so if they gave him a chance.

AB's stats also don't prove that he didn't or couldn't beat double coverage. Stats alone don't tell the whole story

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Exactly why we need a definite number two receiver

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Lack of targets indicates he wasn't open. I dont buy he was used as a decoy, this is what Belichick does, takes away the other teams best weapon.

Thats why all the talk about AB not being great after the NE game was silly. Belichick took both AB and Julio out of the game.

10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    It's hard to compare the the two (AB&JJ) considering JJ is 5-6 inches taller than AB. It's not always the receivers ability to beat a double team as it is the QB's willingness to throw into it. Calvin Johnson and Randy Moss come to mind as guys with the ability to beat any coverage based on their size and skill, and playing with QB's willing to challenge the coverage. The 'throw it up in any coverage and let the receiver go get it' strategy isn't going to work much with a guy AB's size and we've seen the result when it's attempted.

Here's an example of CJ catching one in triple coverage that would have been picked if it was almost any other receiver, certainly AB and probably JJ.
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-...70/WK-7-Can-t-Miss-Play-Johnson-beats-cover-3

11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If Steelers had a legit #2 WR on the other side, Defenses wouldn't be able to game plan AB completely out of the game.

I don't think Haley moved AB around the field enough in the AFCCG to get him open though.

12. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Jones was mostly used as a decoy and I hated that.
    He had 4 catches, six other players caught a few each and some for big yards.

13. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Exactly Falcons have Sanu and Gabriel who were better than any steeler WR not named Brown. With Bryant back (hopefully) I'd love to see teams double AB and get torched by bryant.

14. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    ABs numbers slipped a bit this year. the fact that Bryant wasnt there made a big difference. Bryant isnt the same every down threat AB is, but he has the ability to spread the defense and score from anywhere. his size is also a mismatch which makes defenses cheat his way.

the fact is, it was AB and a bunch of kids at wr. Rogers, Hamilton, Ayers and Coats will all be better next season. add Bryant back into the mix and AB is back to putting up monster numbers.

too many people associate tall wr with great wr. ask Tom Brady how he likes his little wrs.

15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Sign Terrell Pryor! No Joke, that dude is beast!

16. fer69

fer69 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2016
    The Patriots have nobody at wr 1 and a nobody at wr 2 and and Brady still threw for 4 million yards!:shrug:
    You don't need a #2 wr IF the coaches know what the hell they're doing

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly why we need to trade AB and build a stronger Team .....The Pats guys said it they never know who will step up it depends on who has the best match up at that time ....We have guys who can play and make plays if given the chance ..Haley and Ben don't adjust enough or spread the ball around enough ...Ben still likes guys to be College open and AB is really the only guy skilled enough to do that...Ben will be gone soon so we need to work to make stronger Team..

18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    You could also ask Tom Brady which tall WR caught an NFL record 23 TD's in their 16-0 season; ).

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

• Like Like x 2
  20. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Seems to me the Patriots have below average receivers, yet their system gets them open.

I think we have a lack of imagination on offense. For instance, when Brown is double covered, there are ways to beat the coverage. Only a couple times I saw us have him run a short cross over the middle to get him open for a short pass, but we do not keep doing something disruptive.

We must find a way to blow up defensive strategy that takes Brown out of the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    true, but they didnt win the super bowl that year either.

22. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    He also took Le'Veon out of the game. Until it is proven otherwise, I'm just gonna choose to believe that Bill used the Jedi mind trick on Le'Veon's groin the same way Vader would choke an insubordinate Admiral. LOL! Also I would take AB over Julio and the talk of trading AB is what Hank Hill would refer to as "just asinine".

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think the coaching staff created options. The other WRs couldn't catch the ball in the AFCC. I believe this is why myself and others hope Bryant has exorcised his demons and is ready to play ball. We know he can catch.

I guess Coates still has issues with the two broken fingers. Prior to damaging his hand, he was shaping up well as a #2 to AB.

24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    bryant could be julio like if he'd work on his craft of football instead of the other one. you would really see what AB has and if green were healthy our offense would be one that is capable of beating the pats. having a healthy bell with all our weapons and they can't take them all away. we have the horses we just need the health and brain power to put it all together. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Martavis Bryant :shrug: