1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Grading out the 2014 Draft

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by chitown steeler3, Jan 7, 2019.

1. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    It's already getting slow on here so I figured since our season is officially over we could make official grades on the 2014 draft. Any of those players would now have been in the league for 5 years so the "potential" question on them should have been answered by now.

Rnd1 pick 15 - Ryan Shazier. I remember so much talk going on with this draft about who we should be taking. What has seemed to be typical over many a Tomlin/Colbert draft was the need for a CB. Darquez Dennard and Jason Verrett were both being talked about, Aaron Donald was getting quite a bit of mentions from several board members, Calvin Pryor and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix were also getting their own parties being thrown. Still others were talking about CJ Mosley out of 'Bama. While I don't know of anyone that hated the pick at the time there were definitely the usual we could have had this player or traded up a little to get that player nobody could really argue that this guy was going to help us. While on the field Shazier was a game changer for us. Unfortunately the injury bug never let him play a full season with us and as we all know in 2017 vs the Bengals he was temporarily paralyzed. While I think Shazier ever making a comeback is a long shot at best I do wish him the best and thank him for his effort and high level play he brought to our team. Grade A

Rnd2 pick 46 - Stephon Tuitt. Come the 2nd round I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one that was shocked that Tuitt was still available and selected by our Steelers. For such a young player he started off so strong starting opposite Heyward. After his contract extension his play has seemed to tail off. Whether that is scheme or injury or any other excuse I have been a little disappointed Tuitt didn't continue on his upward trajectory. Grade A

Rnd3 pick 97 - Dri Archer. Yet another gadget play that seemed to be drafted every year for the offense. Archer had the fastest time at the combine and was expected to be the kick/punt returner for us. In his limited time he never really produced in that role (best return being 38yards) and his rare appearances on offense never gained traction to anything more. He was let go after the 2015 season. Grade F

Rnd4 pick 118 - Martavis Bryant. We all know how well he produced when on the field, his biggest issue bring able to stay available for the team. Suspension after suspension led to a surprising trade to the Raiders for a 3rd round pick which after a small trade up turned into Mason Rudolph. Grade B

Rnd5 pick 157 - Shaquille Richardson. Another mid-late DB picked by Colbert/Tomlin that never panned out to anything. Richardson didn't even make it to our practice squad his rookie year. Grade F

Rnd5 pick 173 - Wesley Johnson. A Swiss army knife coming out of college Johnson made the 53 man roster in the same role. While he was praised for his work in Pitt he never saw the field and was released midseason to make room when the injury bug hit the Steelers causing the need to sign Ross Ventrone to play special teams. Johnson was claimed off of waivers by the Jets and has played there since. Grade D

Rnd6 pick 192 - Jordan Zumwalt. A tweener LB from UCLA, was going to be a project. 2 preseasons in a row left Zumwalt on IR and after his 3rd preseason with the team he didn't make the final 53. Grade F

Rnd6 pick 215 - Dan McCullers. "Shade Tree" was and has been a project since he arrived, earning the backup nose tackle spot in his rookie year. Every offseason people expected this big step forward from the giant but playing time regressed for 4 years dropping to 3rd string behind LT Walton. When he was resigned this offseason I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only shocked person. But with a new DL coach in the mix I guess Pitt wasn't ready to give up on a guy they had already invested 4 years into. Grade D

Agree/Disagree/Change, how else do you all feel about the draft.

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Way too top heavy given that information. Even worse, there is still insufficient information as to whether or not Ryan Shazier will ever play again. At the absolute worst, we got Stephon Tuitt.