1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Grading out 2013 draft

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by chitown steeler3, May 3, 2018.

1. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    As it's been stated several times after this past draft putting a grade on a draft befor the 3-5 year mark is pointless since you don't know how they will play in the league. So I figured we could look back at the 2013 draft and grade it out. My overall grade takes into account games played, production on the field, whether they are still on our roster.

1. Jarvis Jones - From what I remember during the pre-draft process Jones was the leader in FBS that season in sacks and was supposed to be a top 10 pick. Then the combine showed how poor of an athlete he was. His pro day not much better and a look at his tape showed the lack of quality sacks he really produced. (most were scheme not effort). He obviously fell to us at 17 and I figured with the giant whole in our D we were selecting him. His overall production over 4 years with us was underwhelming to say the least. With so many good players drafted in the first round after him (Eric Reid, Tyler Eifert, Desmond Trufant, Xavier Rhodes, DeAndre Hopkins, and even Alec Ogletree) it's hard not to grade this pick as an F.

2. Le'Veon Bell - Again I know a lot of people on this board were talking pre-draft about getting Gio Bernard, or Eddie Lacey, or even Montee Ball. I don't remember a lot of talk about Bell pre-draft. The selection was made and while several people were indifferent about the pick because it filled a need there were others that were up in arms over the fact that Lacey was still on the board. Kid comes in to camp and hurts his foot and didn't play until week 4 of the regular season. While he's only played 2 full seasons of ball Bell has been a workhorse and game changer for this offense. With his production normally it would be an A+ but his lack of health during several seasons drops it to an A- in my book.

3. Markus Wheaton - At the time I know there was a lot of hope for Wheaton to be the future after we figured Sanders would leave. His college tape showed a kid who would fight for the ball and was a decent athlete despite his lack of size. While during his time here Wheaton showed flashes of what we all expected to be normal production. Some nagging injuries and an overall lack of being on the same page with Ben led to Pitt not offering another contract. Grade of C+

4A. Shamarko Thomas - While trading away a 2014 3rd round pick to move here the Shark was viewed as the possible future at the safety position. Most viewed Shark as a steal in the 4th. Playing the dime defender role in his first year Thomas never really progressed as a defender. While not doing bad as a gunner on special teams Thomas never truly got the mental portion of the game down. Grade of a C

4B. Landry Jones - I'm sure this is still a controversial pick as we already had Gradkowski on the roster and we figured Ben still had several years left. Seeing as the only time we ever got to see Jones was during preseason games from '13-15 preseason games Jones didn't seem to progress at all. Because of this the Steelers brought in Vick when Gradkowski was injured in the preseason, who became the #2. Then during the '15 season when Ben was hurt and the game against the Cardinals Vick got hurt Jones came in relief in the 3rd qtr down 6-10 and led the Steelers to a comeback win 25-13. Starting 5 games over the last 3 seasons in relief of an injured Ben and for a game to rest Ben Jones has proven to be a capable backup. Grade of B

5. Terry Hawthorn - Another defensive back from the later rounds that Colbert/Tomlin have drafted. Hawthorn did not make the roster or practice squad. Grade of F

6A. Justin Brown - Brown was kept on the practice squad his first year with the team. In 2014 with a full year under his belt Brown ended up making the roster playing in 8 games. Being waived after the season Brown was claimed by the Bills but was waived injured at the end of their camp. Brown hasn't been with an NFL team since. Grade D

6B. Vince Williams - Williams showed promise from rookie mini camp. Coming in and calling the defense he proved to be a leader. Beating out Stevenson Sylvester as the primary backup his rookie season Williams ended up replacing Larry Foote who was injured week 1. Starting 10 of the last 11 games that season. Getting to be the primary backup again the following season behind Shazier Williams get several starts over the next 3 seasons with Shazier showing a knack for getting injured. The 2017 season Williams came in and started the whole season. Grade B+

7. Nick Williams - Going on IR his rookie season Williams was expected to transition to the DE position. Not making it out of camp the following season Pitt placed him on the practice squad getting claimed during the season by the Chiefs. Grade D-

Obviously all my opinion. What grades would you all give?

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It it is tough pill to swallow.

3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Ask most teams in the league if they got a draft with one Hall of Famer, three starters (not stars, but starters) and a serviceable back-up quarterback if they would take it. I would guess most would.

4. theRealeHarris

theRealeHarris Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    IMO:
    A rating should be reserved for player that contribute elite/premium value.
    B rating player contributed above average value.
    C rating player contributed average value.
    D rating player contributed minimal value.
    F rating player contributed minimal to no value.
    Value is sum of impact on field (stats, situational performance, did job? improved team?). Also consider expectations

1. Jarvis Jones. D+
    Constant under-performer. Made some splash plays in important situations. I'm thinking of an INT...maybe even two. 3, 4 sacks. Did too little for too long. Minimal contribution.

2. Le'Veon Bell. A
    His story is yet to be written. But so far Bell has shown signs that he could be among the best of all time. Unique game changer like Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, the Juice.

3. Markus Wheaton. C-
    Two tease seasons. Potential looked to be their, not so much on game day. BigBen didn't trust him? I thought he was the right guy for us.

4A. Shamarko Thomas. D-
    I'd call it a bust. There was a time when pundits thought Shamarko Thomas could not just be next in line after, but replace some of Troy (I heard them... Bob Labriola was one). That's a bust folks. Shamarko Thomas was last seen giving away penalty yards on punt coverages. That's a bust folks. He might have made a single play, once. So that boosts him up from an F .... :shrug:

4B. Landry Jones. C
    He's done an alright job of flying under the radar. Lucky to be around after some of his early performances. Might credit Jones still being here based on someone not wanting to swallow their pride...

5. Terry Hawthorn. F
    Next.

6A. Justin Brown. D-, F
    Made the roster. Suited up for games. About it.

6B. Vince Williams. B-
    Tough to grade. I'll be honest, I actually have not watched a lot of Vince Williams tape. I know that he has made contributions over several seasons. Overall he's definitely made above average contributions.

7. Nick Williams. F
    Next.

UDFA
    Chris Hubbard. C+
    Contributed situational, when called upon. Could be a starter with Pittsburgh in 2-3 years. Or start in Cleveland now, probably could have done better... but evidently not. Would like to have kept Hubbs. Added big value to the O-line. Could have been a B, B+ with more opportunities, or down the road

Terrance Garvin. D-
    Made 52 man roster...? Pretty sure I saw him on special teams outside of preseason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    1. Jarvis Jones. D
    I'll give JJ a D because he was at least serviceable toward the end of his run here.

2. Le'Veon Bell. A±
    I thought Bell was the best back in the draft that year. He's a pain in the ass, but based off production how can he not be an A+?

3. Markus Wheaton. C
    3rd round pick. Showed flashes.

4A. Shamarko Thomas. D-
    I was going to say F here, but I'll be kind. Shamarko Thomas was awful.

4B. Landry Jones. B-
    Very quietly Landry has become a solid back up. He's won some games for us. Not bad for a 4th round QB

5. Terry Hawthorn. F
    Who?

6A. Justin Brown. D-, F
    Who?

6B. Vince Williams. B
    Great value for the 6th round

7. Nick Williams. F
    Hard to call a 7th rounder an F. Most 7th rounders are.

I'll give the draft a C as a whole. You get Bell, Williams and LJ. That's worth a C.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Le'Veon Bell is the best RB in the NFL but he has been suspended from games and this will be his final season with us so that's only six seasons. I would give him a B.

7. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. theRealeHarris

theRealeHarris Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    I like your take.
    :wave: Landry Jones
    Vinny Williams was definitely a steal.

9. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    "chitown steeler3, post: 567463, member: 1193"]As it's been stated several times after this past draft putting a grade on a draft befor the 3-5 year mark is pointless since you don't know how they will play in the league. So I figured we could look back at the 2013 draft and grade it out. My overall grade takes into account games played, production on the field, whether they are still on our roster.

1. Jarvis Jones - F.
    2. Le'Veon Bell - A+ A- in my book.
    3. Markus Wheaton - C+
    4A. Shamarko Thomas - C
    4B. Landry Jones - B
    5. Terry Hawthorn - F
    6A. Justin Brown - D
    6B. Vince Williams - B+
    7. Nick Williams - D-

As I have been saying Colbert made his average of 3 good picks per draft. B- or better is a good pick.