1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Grade the Steelers 2017 draft

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Seems to me most 6th round players get cut or never get off the PS.

That being said, as far as draft grades go, The Cleveland Browns once again showed why they are the greatest organization in pro sports and will be a force for a long time with this draft.

The Ravens, obviously because KC can't carry Ozzie Newsome's jock strap, blew it out of the park. The only thing the Ravens have to fear, are staircases.

As for the Steelers. I recall when the Steelers stayed relevant by drafting depth and for the future. As a young team that made it deep in the playoffs, the Steelers needed to do well for themselves in two or three years. Not necessarily today. There is no great need for three of these guys to become starters now. Last year's draft succeeded in that standard.

The WR position is locked up for the next three years easily. We may have a pass rush. Pressure improves the secondary. Bell needs a solid back up, one we can count on if Bell isn't available. We got that.

With that being said I give the draft an A.

2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with this and feel the same way. Let me also add that not only did we not grab a S from this loaded class we also didn't add a TE in a very good class. We had two big needs in this draft and it was pass rush which we addressed with Watt and pass coverage which we addressed with Sutton and Allen so that was fine. However nothing against Sutton but he was the 15th CB picked.

I really believe Ben coming out before the draft had an affect on us taking a WR high. The more I look at this pick the more there is to love, the kid is 20 and can play in the slot and outside...from what I read on him. When your an offensive team you have to make sure you have weapons and that is just what the steelers did. Bryant is going into his last year so decisions have to be made or already have been made with this pick. I think the Steelers aren't going to give Bryant big money so they will let him walk and boom there is his replacement in Juju without missing a beat.

Connor is a super great story and I am fine with the pick cause of that. I have been on here saying I want a RB more like Bell than Bettis and from what I have read Connor is more like Bettis, but his story warms my heart. Hard for me to dislike this pick knowing what this kid has gone thru and beat just to end up here.

The Steelers were rumored to Dobbs so this isn't a surprise and I get that we need to think future. One thing I read that is weird is Prescott was draft with the 135th pick last year and this year Dobbs was drafted with the 135th pick. As I look at this the more I like the pick as at least we are looking to upgrade the back up position if not finding a guy who can step in for Ben.

The long snapper thing has me nuts, not gonna lie so much talent still left on the board and taking a LS over S and TE totally had me going nuts. People say it is the 6th round I don't care imo I felt this was one of if not the deepest drafts of all time and I feel we could still find starters here. Yeah they may take a year to learn as they will need teaching but I would be happy finding a starter 2 years from now here.

Anyways as I am not as excited about this years players I think the more you look at it the happier you will be. For right now though I am with 6 on this draft, however a year from now it could be a A- for me.

3. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Chad kelly is a turd. two things about that. No way can you pick a turd up by the clean end. 2. He will not even make a practice squad

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't know how you agreed its a C- after reading your post :lolol:

You would think, maybe a B, because you didn't get the safety and RB you were hoping for. C- is pretty low and extremely misses the mark, IMO.

5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

A non playoff team picking in the top half of the draft had arguably a better draft than a team picking 30th?
    :facepalm:

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Good point Sherman was also a college WR that converted to CB, both of them are 6'3 we can only hope Allen is half the player Sherman is.

7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  8. Dan51790

Dan51790 Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2017
    TJ Watt was a great first round selection. He's inexperienced at the position playing only one full year on defense and still put up 11.5 sacks and 15 TFL. He has great upside with plenty of room to grow and who better to learn from then James Harrison and Joey Porter. Grade: A+

JuJu Smith-Schuster at first I didn't like the pick but after thinking about it and doing more digging on the guy I like it now. Bryant is a head case and Coates has been inconsistent. JuJu also gives us a physical middle of the field receiver we haven't had since Hines Ward. Grade: B

Cameron Sutton was a good man to man coverage corner in college. He can contribute early in the nickel and dime packages. We desperately needed to find players who can cover man to man because you will never beat Brady and bunch in our zone scheme. This was a solid pick. Grade: B+

James Conner I felt was a 4th round talent but he was the RB I wanted to get. He's a big bruising back to compliment Bell. Also a hard nose football player that will do anything it takes to help our football team. Grade: B

Joshua Dobbs is a very smart football player but had accuracy issues in college and going into the pros the throwing windows get even smaller. I understand the pick with Ben talking retirement but I just don't see Dobbs being the QB of the future. If we get Jake Butt or Desmond King here this would be an A+ selection for me. Grade: C

Bryan Allen was a good 5th round selection. Raw prospect with alot of upside. Store him on the PS early on and let him learn. Grade: A

Colin Holba was definitely a head scratcher but Greg Warren is 35 and has had some injury issues as of late. If he has a Greg Warren type career for us then this pick was worth it. Grade: C

Keion Adam's has some potential. We needed to add more competition at OLB. He most likely earns his way onto the PS and hopefully he develops. Grade: B

Overall I thought it was a solid draft. There's a few players I think we missed out on in the 4th and 6th round. Really would've like Butt or King instead of Dobbs. But I have trust in Colbert and company. Overall grade: B

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  9. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I give it a B-.

Why? I give every team a B-. Ask me in three years to give it a real grade. Our highest rated draft in the last 10 years was 2008. 'nuff said.

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am trying not to be negative, yesterday I would have given it a D- at best. Today with some time and some research I am a little more confident in the draft so a C- if fair imo. :smiley1:

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    This was a question of mine as well. Bell really benefited from that, so maybe that is a direction Conner goes as well. We will see.

I thought rounds 1-4 and 7 were money and rounds 5 and 6 left some to be desired.

1. Watt - great pick, great attitude, already working as a professional on his diet, workout etc. Hits their biggest positional need.

2. Choo Choo - can't wait to see this guy truck some people. Physical receiver who is an asset in run blocking as well. I think he contributes a lot his rookie year. If Bryant has a great year in 2017, then maybe you trade him in his final year before the 2018 draft to get some draft capitol. Why a trade? Team compatibility, risk of suspension, he'll want a huge payday after the 2018 season? Just spitballing reasons here, why not get something for him? If he comes back a changed man, then keep him for the next two years of his contract and tag him or let him walk. I think Choo Choo pushes Coates off the roster, this year or next. I really like Rogers and Ayers, so AB, Bryant, Choochoo, Rogers and Ayers get it done for me. DHB as STer, 6th WR. That would leave Hamilton and Coates out the door.

3. Sutton - I liked him in the 2016 draft then he decided to return to school, same as Desmond King. Started as a freshman, and has man coverage ability, which the team was looking for. Short arms would be his biggest knock imo. High character guy.

3c. Conner - Back up RB was a need as D Will's age came into play. Some say it was a round too high, but when you are comfortable with the person and character as we know the Steelers were, that brings a lot of value imo. And for the player, I think he can do it all, and rounds out into a great compliment for Bell.

4. Dobbs - don't scout the QBs much, but when you can remember 74 digits of Pi, I'm going to say he should be able to handle an NFL playbook. Seems to have an engaging personality and great character. Much different from the life size cut out piece of drywall with the Sharpie marker beard that is Landry Jones. Does that mean anymore in the locker room IDK, but as a fan, I can get behind that. I'll be interested to see how he does in preseason. And I'm sure ZM is gone by the end of camp and the pick just confirms the rumors they were not fond of him. So why not grab one in the draft instead of a cast off I guess. I would have preferred defense, but QB depth is important so I can see the reasoning.

5. Allen - A two year project and you guys are probably sick of my "this DB can't tackle" comments, but this guy seems willing enough and is only two years into the defensive switch from WR, so I will cut some slack here. I don't even care if he becomes a "drag down tackler", which draft sites seem to ding guys for. Not a stance I agree with. Get the guy on the ground, style points can be damned. Getting dragged for 3 more yards is better than whiffing on the big hit and giving up 20. ok small rant over LOL. This guy is 6'3" 215 and Obi is 6'4" 224. Are they looking at him strictly at corner or maybe some nickel safety down the road? Maybe Lake's comments will provide a clue later on. Anyway, I don't think we hear much on this guy for two years.

6. Hobla - this one caused me to quit watching, log off the computer and get my pretty nice Saturday going. Home Depot, maybe Bed Bath and Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time!". Frank the tank may have been in play but the quad streaking pushed him down a lot of boards. Seriously though, I think our 7th and 6th should have been flopped. It worked out in the end so what does it matter, right?

7. Adams - developmental speed rusher with nice bend around the edge. Give him some PS refinement in year one and if he only becomes a situational rusher in year two, I would be fine with that out of a 7th. Not as great vs the run and will have to work on that, but I like the speed he brings to the edge.

I thought S and ILB would be two positions taken like most people, especially ILB with the Hightower interest, but I guess they are OK with the current players in place. I think Steven Taylor out of Houston is still an UDFA so maybe they keeping adding some guys to the mix. LA Chargers grabbed Rashawn Jenkins in rnd 4 and Desmond King in rnd 5 and there wasn't much left after that, so I can see why a S wasn't taken after rnd 4 for us.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    As others have said, ask me in 3 years...

13. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Listen. I am huge Bama fan. Williams is far from a beast. He is a one trick pony. Granted I wanted him. But he is not an every down olb by no means

14. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    My favorite responses are when even the

"ask me in 3 years" guys are saying "WTF a long snapper?"

I really do not like the ask me in 3 years comment. While its true...thats when you will know how good or bad a draft was.....thats also like saying...
    "Who do you think will win the Super Bowl tomorrow?"
    "Ask me in 2 days"

To me its about did you predict the future.....not I read the past....if that makes any sense.

Can't be right if you are not willing to be wrong.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh, well in that case, just tell yourself, Harlan Miller and you'll remember the Steelers are much better at this than you are and you'll feel right again. :hehehe:

16. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Cleveland always win the draft. Then again, they usually win as many games in April as they do in September. It was a light hearted take on a rival, don't take it so hard.

17. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'll give it a B based on over all talent if the players live up to their potential .I'm not sure any of their ceilings are super high and their floors could be really low. Not necessarily unhappy with the players ..just think we missed out on a couple players we could of had and a couple position we might have filled with a little creativity from our FO.

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    James Conner has already gone down to 233 to try and get his 40 time down
    pre combine. The young man can play at 230, and you will like what you see.
    For all you non Pitt Football fan's James Conner could actually play OLB
    in a pinch, did so to help out an outmanned Pitt staff his Freshman year at Pitt. Named ACC offensive player of year 2 years ago while running for 1600 yds and scoring a zillion touchdowns. He is a hard nosed football player that knows how to play the game.
    He will be a nice compliment to Le'vean Bell and hopefully will give Le'vean a much needed
    break. I hope the Steelers find him 5-8 touches per game.

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    FWIW Mel Kiper gave them a B+

20. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    1. TJ Watt - B+

Best available pass rusher, although I suppose you could make an argument for Bowser. I think Reuben Foster probably should have been taken, maybe pick up Derek Rivers in R2, which would free you up to take Henderson in R3. Wouldn't have minded Budda here either. Can't complain, high floor medium ceiling player who I see having an average season of 4-6 sacks and a ceiling of 10. I could be wrong. Solid, safe pick.

2. Juju Smith-Schuster - B

I love the player, but not so much the need in the 2nd. He's got Hines Ward-like toughness and is definitey a Steeler. We needed more defense, and a receiver in round three would have been fine, maybe one like Josh Reynolds or Carlos Henderson.

3a. Cam Sutton - B+

Called this one. Dual need as a returner and a man/slot corner. In a draft stacked with transcendent talent in the secondary, I just feel a bit shaky that this was the lone player we came away with. Team captain, high character guy. I like Cam Sutton.

3b. James Conner - B-

He's only a B- because he would have been there in 4/5 (I think -- I am no professional). I would have preferred Kazee here, I think he even has a shot be the best slot corner in this draft.

4. Josh Dobbs - A-

We had to, man. And as far as developmental leaders go -- not bad. He has the right stuff, I think he could be special. There's just something about him. Maybe it's not everyone's favorite pick because drafting backups isn't sexy (until you need them) and this draft had star talent well into day 3. And at the very least you KNOW he's better than Landry.

5. Brian Allen - A-

Nice pick. He lit up the combine at his size, and he is a former WR. Definitey someone you can develop.

6. Colin Holba - D

Come on, man. At least get him in the 7th. There is talent in this draft in Round 6, and even if he "puts velocity on it and has snapped for both lefties and righties" we have Antonio Brown on our roster, so you should know the value of a 6th round pick.

7. Keion Adams - A

Great 7th round value, and we definitely needed to double-dip on pass rushers.

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well first of all I have never said I was better than the Steelers at this as a matter of fact in many of my posts I have said I am just a guy who chats on a message board. If the Steelers aren't any better than me, you or anyone else here we would have problems. Second as far as Miller goes don't be so quick to throw him away I have a feeling we may see some of him this year for the Cards. :smiley1:

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah the ask me in 3 year question is a cop out imo. This is a message board not fact finder page, we give our opinions right or wrong they are opinion. I have read so many posts about ask me in 3 years, my question then is where is the post about the 2014 draft? Nobody talks about that cause it was 3 years ago and don't offer any Juice it is cut and dry. Shazier and Tuitt are studs, Archer offered a lot of heated talk, Bryant is good but off the field crap hurts him, Richardson, Johnson and Blanchflower offered pretty much nothing, Zumwalt has come and gone a few times and McCullers is still on the team.

Not trying to disrespect anyone just wanted to say that is what this place is for to talk about things and give your opinions right or wrong they are opinions. What would be cool is to grade the draft now then go back in a few years and regrade to see what has changed. jmo. :cool:

23. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    You want an opinion? I'll give an opinion.

First round- A-. Biggest need? Edge rusher. We got who we believed to be best remaining, high character guy who we won't be wondering when he's going to melt down (or light up) and be unavailable to us. Began the draft process believing that he was rated where he was because of his name. Believe now I was wrong.

Second round- B+. Initial reaction was wtf to a receiver in the second round, especially one that looks to be a slot receiver. On further review, we played the Patriots last year with our number 2 receiver suspended, our number 3 receiver/starting running back out after one series, our numbers 4 and 5 injured, and our top receiving tight end injured. Double and triple cover Antonio and watch our udfa's drop passes. Why not a 6' 4" burner? We have three of those, four if you count Hunter. One is one toke away from never playing again, one has injured fingers and has always had questionable hands, one is a special teams star, great all-around person, but not the threat he could be. And who knows what we have in Hunter. You can't go into the season with Ayres being your #2 receiver.

Third round- A- If Sutton had come out last year, he would have been drafted in the second round. He was always one of my third round options, and he will get playing time in the slot this year.

Comp- B+- If you have anything negative to say about James Connor the person, you're a rectum. If you have negative things to say about his ability as a running back, you're still a rectum. If you think he could have been drafted a round later, you may have a point, but I doubt he would have been there.

Fourth round- B- I didn't want a qb here, don't think anyone on the board did, but we got the best one left, and a round later than he was supposed to go. Can you say "Deshone Kizer in the first"? Go ahead, say it. Now doesn't this pick feel better?

Fifth round- B- Don't know enough about this guy to give an informed opinion, but if we were going to pick a developmental cb, 6' 3" 4.4 isn't a bad place to develope from.

Sixth round- ?- A long snapper, enough said. But if it saves 600k off our salary cap, what the hell.

Seventh round- A- - A developmental edge rusher who we should have taken in the 6th? I'm good with that.

Opinions are like a**holes. Everyone has one and most of them stink.

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    JuJu in not just a slot WR, no one has anything bad to say about Conner as a person. He was drafted too high as a RB though.

25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Nice breakdown and yes opinions are like assholes and yes everyone has them however we are on a message board that is what you do here give your opinion, no?