1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Grade the Steelers 2017 draft

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Apr 29, 2017.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I give them a C-, in a draft that was deep at safety they come away with none :facepalm:. They also didn't draft a ILB, I was expecting one that could replace Vince on passing downs or a big safety to play that role. Colbert needs to stop being so conservative, it's okay to trade up once in awhile. We saw Awuzie and Obi, and Josh Jones get drafted right in front of us in the second round, but hey at least we will go to camp with 20 WRs :facepalm:. It seemed like they went with a feel good story taking Conner in the 3rd, he was projected to be a 4-5 rd prospect. There were plenty of other RBs in this draft they could've taken in the 4th or 5th.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I say solid B, they may not have drafted many superstars, but they didn't need to, they drafted some key role player guys, who I think will stick around.

It was more about the Deshae Townsends' and Veron Haynes' than the Troy P's and Jerome Bettis'

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  3. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    C+....not based on the guys they got...they all might turn into 10 year players....but I see very little help in 2017. I like Watt, Conner, and I actually love Allen. He reminded me of Sherman who I was pimping hard that year. I don't think he is as polished, his footwork not as good,...and I don't think his hands are either....but he showed flashes of Sherman like qualities....just needs consistency.

Sutton and Juju look to be fine players

Dobbs has a good chance of beating out Jones...but will still be #3 QB and #2 alopecia player.

A LS....Camp battle I guess....but at this point I would be surprised if he beat out Warren.

Adams will most likely be the next Steeler LB that everyone will say "He will never make it to our practice squad" but he will.

HACK

4. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I will give them a C.

5. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    A+

Clearly the subtle intracacies of Colbert's genius is falling on dead ears.

[​IMG]

But being serious. I don't like to rate drafts. I'll say this.

T.J. Watt - love the pick.

JuJu Smith-Schuster - Genuine high second round talent receiver, 6th total off the board (all rounds) ,where 18 dbs went before our pick in the 2nd round alone. Could have traded up. I only believe in trading up for sure things, and for fair prices.

Trades require two consenting teams. Ever consider a scenario where a team says "no thank you, we dont want to trade back out of this spot"

Cam Sutton- Not exciting, but apparently underated. Super solid, safe pick. great pick if we're trying to play more man coverage.

James Conner- I believe Colbert when he says he sees Conner as a triple whammy for his running ability, his special teams ability, and the content of his character.

Rounds 4-7

Consider it a crap shoot past this point. Sure Tom Bradys and Antonio Browns came from the 6th round. Thats two players. At least they drafted a guy they figured would get the job.

We need to remember I think that we already have players prior to the draft. We have a young secondary. Perhaps Tomlin and company have more faith in our ILB and Safety than we do. Usually I find out that the draft picks each year make more sense to me a few months after the draft.

We have a premium red zone defense. We made it to the AFCCG. We lost to the Patriots. We need to beat them. But anybody thinking that we don't have the team to beat them already, because we're missing that one rookie, is in denial about the fact that The Pats handed a very elite roster (compared to the reat of the NFL) their ass. The people who are gonna change that we're here before the draft. With possibly the exception of Watt.

It actually is an A+ draft if we tried to do a mock draft of "Highest Intangibles." This strategy may prove more effective than anyone expects.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    B-

Mainly because I had a BIG expectation going into this draft. It was a draft rich in OLBs, Safeties and Corners. Granted we took 2 LBs and 2 Corners. But not where I expected nor maybe the quality of guys I was expecting.

I like the Watt pick. Solid choice.

I like JuJu the player. Just wasn't gaga over a round 2 WR.

I like the Conner pick, even if it was early.

I thought Sutton was a bit vanilla compared to some other choices but he is a good player.

I actually liked Dobbs as a QB compared to many QBs in the draft. I just don't see him being a long term replacement for Ben and I question whether he can beat out landry this year.

Allen was a very interesting pick. Major project but could yield big dividends.

Long snapper... 'nuf said.

Adams looks good, will hopefully go to the practice squad.

I think another major factor in my 2017 draft disappointment isn't only about the players we ended up selecting but how viciously the board fell to us. The second round was torturous and the 3rd wasn't much better.

Hope for the best! :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  7. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    1. Watt - A-
    2. Smith-Schuster - B+
    3a. Sutton - B+
    3b. Conner - B
    4. Dobbs - C
    5. Allen - C-
    6. Holba - D
    7. Adams - B

First four picks i give a B+. Second four picks I give a C-. Based on a weighted scale with higher picks having more value, I give the Steelers a B.

8. StillHERNation

StillHERNation Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2017
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I've learned not to grade a draft until at least 2-3 years afterward. It's all about results, not whether their draft grades lower because Mike Mayock liked player A and we took Player B instead, or because I wanted a safety and we took a WR instead of trading up to get a safety.

The way the draft fell to us on day 2 was brutal based on my wish list, but for all we know JuJu may have been the guy we were coveting all along during the 2nd round. Juju may end having a better career than any of the DBs that came off my wish list in the picks leading up to our 2nd rounder. It all has to play out in the field.

There are a few decisions that I'm tempted to criticize. However, I know that I have a tiny fraction of the information that our front office and coaches have - both about the prospects and what our needs really are.

I don't know about you guys, but I can't wait to see our future All Pro long snapper in action!

10. StillHERNation

StillHERNation Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Allen and Dobbs got a huge upside.

Allen was a WR 1st, only played CB 2yrs. 2016 was his best year. Made huge improvements since his 1st year as a CB in 2015.

Dobbs can play, but will sit and learn behind has a,lot of upside, won games, extremely smart, good arm, mobile asf and can shrug off big hits to gain yards with his RB like mobility.

I seen him bounce off 2 big hits from Keanu Neal and Jarrad Davis on the same play for a nice run.

11. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Solid B for me too. H3ll Watts alone, almost makes it a slam dunk for me. I would've loked Foster but too many red flags.

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    A- for me.

Only thing this keeps it from being a solid A was the fact that a hybrid safety/linebacker was the final piece for Tomlin and Butlet to complete their version of Dick LeBeau's scheme. Time will tell if this was the missing piece for certain.

I liked all the picks personally. Furthermore, us not pushing hard to complete Tomlin's ideal defense must mean that they believe Ben does have a couple years left. Who knows what could happen until then?

I can say for this for certain. When the time comes that Ben cannot play anymore, Dobbs will more than likely have a top flight defense and a good rushing attack to lean on just like Ben did early in his career.

13. William Larson

William Larson Member

Apr 17, 2017

I agree totally with your analogy....i was doing cartwheels after TJ Watt selection...then came JuJu Beans and i sharted....

If we go;
    Round 1 Watt
    Round 2 CB
    Round 3 pick 1 Safety
    Round 3 pick 2 best available
    Round 4 best available
    Round 5 best available
    Round 6 best available
    Round 7 Chad Kelly instead of a LS we could have signed as free agent...

C- the C is only because of TJ Watt

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Grade A

People may not like the positions they drafted but they are good players, no doubt.

Watts - Locked in on him a while ago, wanted this pick more than anything. Him and Bud will be the edge rushers they've been without for so long. Not right off the bat but by mid season, he'll be helping generate pressure.

JuJu - Pick surprised me, even know all the beat writers have been saying they could go 2nd rd for a WR, I still didn't think they would. After looking at his game, I love the pick. Haven't had a receiver like this since Hines. He'll move the chains and be a productive redzone target.

Sutton - Don't know how anyone doesn't like this pick. Tough, can lay the wood and stick to guys like glue. He'll come in handy guarding Eldelman and Hogan. Can also return punts.

Conner - Solid RB, can pound the rock. Not going to pull Bell off the field but can get creative down on the goal line, kid can pound it in. Very good insurance if Bell goes down again.

Dobbs - I mocked him to us, saw it coming a mile away. Better QB than the reception he is getting around here. They drafted him to step in when Ben retires, read Fitchers report on him, he's not saying that about a guy who's going to be a BU.

6 reasons Dobbs is the best sleeper pick of the draft
    http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2017/4/20/15361900/joshua-dobbs-pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-draft

Brian Allen - Didn't know who he was before our pick but good size and measurable's. If they can improve his tackling, might have found a late rd gem or he might join so many other 5th rd CB's that came before him. Worth the pick here.

Colin Hobla - My guess is Warren is getting cut, as long as this guy shows he can do the job. Not carrying two LS's. Really no other reason to use a pick on one here.

Keion Adams - Situational pass rusher, maybe. 7th rd, long shot obviously.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    :lolol:

16. William Larson

William Larson Member

Apr 17, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Bolded does raise an intriguing point and one I have noticed since 2010.

Alabama players, for better or worse, are NFL ready when they enter thanks in part to Nick Saban. The issue is, in order for them to be NFL ready, their athletic and phsycial parameters have to be either reaching or at maximum capability. Yes there are exceptions but there are not rules.

This is not a secret and not just to Alabama players either. Many big time college programs like Ohio State, Oklahoma and Kansas State deconstruct their prospects and reinstitue them into an "NFL level" mode of readiness. The issue for Alabama is when I say deconstruct, they, unlike most colleges, deconstruct everything regarding their prospects from a football perspective.

From how they read offenses or defenes to just even breaking huddles, training and camaraderie, Alabama has effectively created an institution where teams generally do not have to worry about selecting an Alabama player due to their rigorous levels of "NFL Level Preparation"

Here in lies the problem yet again; wear and tear. These young men are either maxed out or nearing it, hurt, or both. Keep in mind everyone Reuben Foster had shoulder issues along with Johnathan Allen. Marlon Humphrey and O.J. Howard are exceptions but Marlon has issues of his own and Lane Kiffin really undervalued O.J. more than people are giving him credit for. As such, only exceptions are what the Steelers value.

For my end point, it leads me to the end of Tomlin's rainbow consisting of three qualities:

1.) Age

2.) Athleticism

3.) Versatility

For evidence? Ryan Shazier. He is the pinnacle of the ideal propsect that fits what the Steelers look for to the "T".

Reuben has the versatility and athleticism but not the age. TJ is just 22 compared to Reuben's 23. I am certain that, if this were another draft, Reuben would have been the pick; diluted sample or otherwise. However, TJ amassing all three of those qualities in addition to the value and need supercede even a reputed top 10 pick in spite of the skill proficiency.

In the end, as I stated before, an "A-" for me. Should Brian Allen be something more than a boundary corner than this grade gets raised. Otherwise it stays the same.

18. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    You can't really grade a draft before any of these guys plays a single down in the NFL... I think we addressed most of our needs. I was a little surprised that we didn't take an ILB. We need to sign someone to help our depth IMO. We are a Shazier injury away from disaster at that position. Otherwise, I liked the positions taken.

Watt - like the pick. He should see time in rotation with Harrison and hopefully earns more snaps as he improves over the course of the year. Can't hate this one.

JuJu - probably my favorite pick. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he's starting Day 1. The Steelers were starving for a WR with this type of game. Ben's going to love throwing him the rock on 3rd down and in the RZ.

Sutton - athletic, man-capable corner with the ability to play inside or in the slot. Pretty good player at a position of need

Conner - big runner with some power and nimble enough feet. Maybe they ask him to lose weight? Or do they want him to be a bruiser? Needed a guy we can count on behind Bell.

Dobbs - one of the few QB's I was okay with taking this year. Seems to have some tools. Will be a bit of a project, but hopefully Ben sticks around long enough for him to develop a bit.

Allen - tall, long, man capable corner that seems like a decent enough investment.

Hobla - one pick I couldn't find a justification for. Nothing against Hobla, but we drafted AB in he 6th... we can't be taking a long snapper here

Adams - pass rusher project.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

They also have been selecting in the top 20 since 2014 if I recall in addition to John Harbaughs record flipping since his Super Bowl run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I hope Allen and Dobbs outplay their draft selections, and I appreciate your positive viewpoint. Did the Steelers do enough to beat the Patriots with the help from this draft? we can hope. I like their top 4 picks and I hope their bottom 4, out perform their draft slots, but I believe the Steelers are still missing something on the defensive side of the ball. so that is why I give them a B.

21. William Larson

William Larson Member

Apr 17, 2017
    This was deepest D draft in years...many starters drafted in round 2 and 3, ...Tim Williams is beast, thats the crows 4th pick!....just 3 rounds before our long snapper:dancing:

22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed. Anyones grade is meaningless really. I do believe grades based off of simply face value is more suitable. Final grades can be given soon after.

It is like Colbert stated;

"The only way you know if you got the right guys is if they win you championships".

23. TheDakAttack

TheDakAttack New Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Current Skill I give this draft a B-, Potential I give the Steelers an A+, every pick they made has an amazingly high ceiling, will they all work out? Of course not, that's what a high ceiling player is, they have the assets necessary to become a Pro Bowl caliber player, but have a possibility of being worthless, and the Steelers picked up 3 that could be Hall of Fame caliber if they develop properly and others that could be pro bowlers. Great draft for the Steelers as far as potential goes. I consider potential drafting the most effective way to cultivate a superbowl caliber team, plateau drafting is for developmental-rebuilding teams, the Steelers want to be superbowl contenders for years to come, not just be a 9-7 playoff team.

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Lets see how it plays out 2-3 years? Although Art II is on record
    that he wants to see more production early. I am slightly disappointed
    right now with our team management on wanting to make things happen.
    But who knows, maybe they have a plan? Did we address our glaring weakness's
    I think not. Are we any closer to beating the Patriots after this draft?
    Ben is just about done.

25. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

We didn't address our glaring weaknesses? 2 olb 2cb, wr,rb.
    They might not of drafted the players you wanted, but they addressed the team's needs. An argument could be made against the ls, but that's about it. Overall it was a solid draft. If one or two of the late round guys develop it will be a slam dunk.